Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This forum has been so helpful and I'm loving the sense of community among Ascent owners. My family is seriously researching campers with the hopes of purchasing one before the holidays. We are 2 adults, 2 small kids, and an infant and are trying to choose between the Micro Minnie 2100BH (will not not load it past the 5000lb tow limit) and the Jayco184BH. Besides the price, we like the Jayco because we would not have to worry as much about the load plan but I love the two axle and bigger fridge of the Winnebago, although I'm not sure if the price difference is worth it. We also would hope to mount bikes and aren't sure if that's realistic for either trailer. Can anyone offer perspective on their experiences with either of these and advice for the purchase process? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can give perspective on the buying process. We bought new from a volume dealer for 23% less than the next two closest quotes, which were within a few hundred dollars of each other. The only reason we bought new was because it was such a great deal. I had to travel about 300 miles one way, but the savings were worth it. I thought buying a new travel trailer would be like buying a car: go to different lots, kick the tires, and drive the purchase off the lot, but that isn’t how it works. It was explained to me similarly by all four of the dealerships I spoke with, so I think it’s consistent across the industry rather than being a quirk unique to any one dealership. Apparently, the demand is so high that dealers are ordering from the manufacturer and buyers are pre-ordering and making down payments before the trailer is even assembled. As the dealer told me, ‘your trailer is a pile of lumber somewhere in the Midwest right now.’ We waited about two months from the order date until I took delivery of the trailer. I didn’t really test the used/secondhand market, but I’d imagine there are some good deals through FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc. for person-to-person sales, especially if you’re willing to drive a few hundred miles. As far as differences between the two trailers you’re looking at, this is a great forum to ask. My advice would be to rent any similar trailer (if you haven’t already), to give clarity on which feature(s) are or aren’t important. For example, after renting we learned that galley/kitchen room was crucial, so a slide out became a must-have, which has served us well. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi all,

This forum has been so helpful and I'm loving the sense of community among Ascent owners. My family is seriously researching campers with the hopes of purchasing one before the holidays. We are 2 adults, 2 small kids, and an infant and are trying to choose between the Micro Minnie 2100BH (will not not load it past the 5000lb tow limit) and the Jayco184BH. Besides the price, we like the Jayco because we would not have to worry as much about the load plan but I love the two axle and bigger fridge of the Winnebago, although I'm not sure if the price difference is worth it. We also would hope to mount bikes and aren't sure if that's realistic for either trailer. Can anyone offer perspective on their experiences with either of these and advice for the purchase process? Thanks!
I'd love to tell you to buy the Micro Minnie 2100BH because it has dual axles and considerably better build quality, however, its dry hitch weight is 420 lbs, which after loading your cargo might exceed the 500 lb limit of the Ascent, unless you can offset the 150-170lb weight of the 2 full LP tanks and battery or batteries up front. This trailer a small rear cargo hold, so you might be able to do that, but you would probably not be able to put anything heavy in the large front cargo hold.

The Jayco 184BH is not as good quality as the Winnebago, but it has a dry tongue weight of only 300 lbs which gives you a much better chance of staying within the Ascent's 500 lb tongue weight limit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do not hear many good things about the Jayco. I would go with the Micro Minnie. We were comparing those and tons of other trailers and they were great build quality, but we ended up going Apex Nano 208BHS.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
224 Posts
I do not hear many good things about the Jayco. I would go with the Micro Minnie. We were comparing those and tons of other trailers and they were great build quality, but we ended up going Apex Nano 208BHS.
Presumably towed by something other than an Ascent given the tongue weight on that one. Although it looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don’t recall suggesting the Apex to the OP as I was telling them the Micro Minnie is a good choice over Jayco. I wouldn’t worry about the MM tongue weight at all.
The Micro Minnie series does have several floor plans that could work with the Ascent, but there are several more that won't. I stopped trying to make anything with a dry tongue weight of 400 lbs or more work with the Ascent. Too many risks trying to keep it under 500 lbs and I see too many people buying travel trailers too heavy for the Ascent due to the loaded tongue weight. This is something more people need to pay better attention to or else they may end up with an unsafe towing situation. 500 lbs loaded tongue weight is a hard stop for the Ascent. Try to push it higher and the nose goes pointing up in the air and steering is compromised. In my opinion, a dry tongue weight over 400 lbs is not acceptable.

Winnebago stopped producing one of the best suited Micro Minnies for the Ascent, the 2106DS which had a 360 lb dry tongue weight. That was a real shame because it was an excellent choice and the one I was going to go with. They said they dropped it because they couldn't find a couch for it that was liked by the owners. I'm not sure I believe that. I think they dropped it because it was very close to their 2108DS in style and floorplan and they only wanted to produce one of the two. However, the 2108DS has a tongue weight of 410 lbs which is too heavy for the Ascent. I told them that they made a big mistake and needed to pay more attention to the SUV and small truck market which now compromises 70% of the vehicles sold. I think I may have got their attention, but unfortunately it's too late for the 2106DS which is now history.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Micro Minnie series does have several floor plans that could work with the Ascent, but there are several more that won't. I stopped trying to make anything with a dry tongue weight of 400 lbs or more work with the Ascent. Too many risks trying to keep it under 500 lbs and I see too many people buying travel trailers too heavy for the Ascent due to the loaded tongue weight. This is something more people need to pay better attention to or else they may end up with an unsafe towing situation. 500 lbs loaded tongue weight is a hard stop for the Ascent. Try to push it higher and the nose goes pointing up in the air and steering is compromised. In my opinion, a dry tongue weight over 400 lbs is not acceptable.

Winnebago stopped producing one of the best suited Micro Minnies for the Ascent, the 2106DS which had a 360 lb dry tongue weight. That was a real shame because it was an excellent choice and the one I was going to go with. They said they dropped it because they couldn't find a couch for it that was liked by the owners. I'm not sure I believe that. I think they dropped it because it was very close to their 2108DS in style and floorplan and they only wanted to produce one of the two. However, the 2108DS has a tongue weight of 410 lbs which is too heavy for the Ascent. I told them that they made a big mistake and needed to pay more attention to the SUV and small truck market which now compromises 70% of the vehicles sold. I think I may have got their attention, but unfortunately it's too late for the 2106DS which is now history.
You can always put a used one of the 2106DS on your list and when one pops up jump at it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You can always put a used one of the 2106DS on your list and when one pops up jump at it.
I've been trying. Winnebago even offered to try to find an unsold one for me. The problem is that there is currently a nationwide shortage of RVs due to Covid. I just got a call from the local dealer, he said that some models will take 6-8 months to arrive. It's crazy right now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We bought our Micro Minnie 2100BH from a Las Vegas dealer who had one on order. We'd been searching for months for used or new in CA but due to CV19, nothing was available (apparently using them for spare housing). We've been on 3 camping trips with it, all within the weight allotments, and absolutely LOVE IT! My 2019 Ascent Touring
pulls it easily and smoothly. MPG (6-15) isn't great but it handles everything we need. We bought a rear tire mounted bike rack but haven't tried it yet. Two adults and a 10 yo, plus 2 dogs, fit nicely. The only downside to the trailer is no sink in the bathroom and no mirrors anywhere. Really?! Happy to chat further.

Reactions: meyeracer06

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I think we would be buying new as nothing is available used right now
There is a lot out there, as we put our previous trailer up for sale on a Tuesday evening, had over 50 calls within 3 hours, and by Wednesday noon, we had it sold and we had people waiting in line to buy it cash, for more money than we were asking. ALL had told me they keep losing out on trailers in CA because of the demand, and they either call and one is sold, 10 minutes after, or they are "next in line" if the other 5 wanting to buy do not.

Between displaced people form the fires, or others taking the COVID remote opportunities to travel, it is truly a sellers market. Dealers are asking crazy prices, and getting them, while taking advantage of the market demands. We were fortunate enough to shop around, with the mindset that we would travel up to 1000 miles to save $5000 or MORE. thankfully we found a deal within 200 miles, and even though it was about $1000 more than one 1000 miles away, it was worth the negligible savings it may have had. Another dealer with same trailer 120 miles away has it priced for $7000 MORE than what we paid, and will not budge on the price.

Crazy, as many are selling out as fast as they get them in.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.