Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to grab some 18" wheels when they come on sale and want to figure out the tires to go with them. I'm very interested in the Michelin CC2s as well as the Falken Wildpeaks. There are a lot of threads comparing these two and other similar AT tires for winter driving. My question is the reverse - how well do the CC2s handle offroading? My road trip/camping plans will probably be somewhat tame but include some mud and dirt trails with smaller pits/rocks. In the winter I'm planning on a trip to CO and maybe Idaho/Wyoming for some ski trips with friends. We also have seen some nasty snow and ice here in TX the last few years, so between the snow, ice and rain we see the CC2s make a lot of sense. So 80-85 roads with rain, ice, snow and 15-20 off pavement of different types (dirt, rock, sand, mud).
Can some who have the CC2's or a similar tire speak to the offroad side of them? The alternative is to go with the Wildpeaks and pony up more cash for some dedicated snow tires like Blizzaks or Nokians and swap when planning snow trips.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
430 Posts
I can't comment on the CC2s, but the Wildpeak AT Trails have worked fine for me in snow and ice, when driven sensibly. Not quite as nice as the Conti Viking Contact snow tires I swapped them for, but well enough that I didn't feel the need to swap them back last season...and I drive in the Cascades 2-3x/month in the winter.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,632 Posts
CC2s are not off road tires. They are very capable in many situations, of course, but they are primarily a road tire that happens to be the new claas of "all weather" which means enhanced performance in winter conditions without them ripping to shreds in the hot weather. The model of Falken Wildpeak that many talk about as an alternative to the CC2 is also not a tire designed for serious off roading, although it's also quite capable. (There are multiple Wildpeak tire models... ;) ). Either tire would "likely" be fine for what you mention, but I'd probably go Wildpeak because of the more conventional tread.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CC2s are not off road tires. They are very capable in many situations, of course, but they are primarily a road tire that happens to be the new claas of "all weather" which means enhanced performance in winter conditions without them ripping to shreds in the hot weather. The model of Falken Wildpeak that many talk about as an alternative to the CC2 is also not a tire designed for serious off roading, although it's also quite capable. (There are multiple Wildpeak tire models... ;) ). Either tire would "likely" be fine for what you mention, but I'd probably go Wildpeak because of the more conventional tread.
Thanks that was very helpful (on my head but not the wallet I suppose)!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,632 Posts
No good tire is inexpensive, but with careful shopping, one can often get a reasonable deal. I use Costco. For folks in areas where Discount Tire has brick and mortar stores, they are also a good resource, including for rotations and balancing as the tires go through their life.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
540 Posts
I'm planning to grab some 18" wheels when they come on sale and want to figure out the tires to go with them. I'm very interested in the Michelin CC2s as well as the Falken Wildpeaks. There are a lot of threads comparing these two and other similar AT tires for winter driving. My question is the reverse - how well do the CC2s handle offroading? My road trip/camping plans will probably be somewhat tame but include some mud and dirt trails with smaller pits/rocks. In the winter I'm planning on a trip to CO and maybe Idaho/Wyoming for some ski trips with friends. We also have seen some nasty snow and ice here in TX the last few years, so between the snow, ice and rain we see the CC2s make a lot of sense. So 80-85 roads with rain, ice, snow and 15-20 off pavement of different types (dirt, rock, sand, mud).
Can some who have the CC2's or a similar tire speak to the offroad side of them? The alternative is to go with the Wildpeaks and pony up more cash for some dedicated snow tires like Blizzaks or Nokians and swap when planning snow trips.
I've had CC2s on for about 4700 miles. Been thru 2 pretty good snow & ice situations without any problems, and they are performing well in this summer's 105deg heat and a few heavy rainstorms with no hydroplaning. I've been on some gravel roads, but nothing that most any tire wouldn't handle. For serious offroading, a dedicated offroad tire would perform better, but then you have a tradeoff with more wear, noise and probably inferior snow and ice performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts