Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we took a road trip up North as the kids demanded seeing snow...and since I like road trips, off we went! 3,723 miles in 8 days. Below are some pictures from our trip.

Below is the cabin we called home for a few days in the Adirondacks.

A little mud flinging fun with MtnRoo Tri-State!! The WHOLE off-road adventure was with the Ascent loaded with the family and all of our luggage!

·
Registered
174 Posts
We went the opposite direction IL to FL & back, and unfortunately I didn't take as many photos of the Ascent down on the beach this year. 2700mi over 7 days and averaged @18.1mpg and I could feel us fighting the wind something fierce in both directions of our travels. I guess it's to be expected with Thule Motion XT XL on top and 4 sails in the back

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
51 Posts
We went the opposite direction IL to FL & back, and unfortunately I didn't take as many photos of the Ascent down on the beach this year. 2700mi over 7 days and averaged @18.1mpg and I could feel us fighting the wind something fierce in both directions of our travels. I guess it's to be expected with Thule Motion XT XL on top and 4 sails in the back View attachment 6741
Those bikes are way out there! LOL Did you notice your headlights pointing a little high at night?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We went the opposite direction IL to FL & back, and unfortunately I didn't take as many photos of the Ascent down on the beach this year. 2700mi over 7 days and averaged @18.1mpg and I could feel us fighting the wind something fierce in both directions of our travels. I guess it's to be expected with Thule Motion XT XL on top and 4 sails in the back View attachment 6741
What beach did you visit/drive on?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
The steering responsive LED headlamps (standard on all Ascents in 2021, and standard on Limited and Touring in 2019 and 2020) automatically adjust vertically for loads in the rear. In theory, you can apply any load you want to the back of an Ascent with the LED headlamps and they'll automatically level themselves.

I think I observed this directly over Christmas break. My parents and my family all loaded into the Ascent as it was facing our closed garage door. After the headlamps did their left/right initiation, the cutoff pattern notched lower on the garage door about an inch. I presume that was them automatically adjusting to the load.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
It's forgivable because the owner's manual doesn't make much mention of it. As I recall, it simply says that they automatically adjust, but it doesn't say how...such as how often it samples the ride height, how it perceives a load, etc. Maybe the service manual has more information.

That's why I said that I think I observed them leveling...because I'm not quite sure of the criteria the system uses and when it applies them. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone is wondering how well the Eibach springs work...all the pictures above (except the one by the cabin) are with 7 people and 1 weeks worth of luggage for a winter trip in the car. Looks like stock ride height but there is over 1000lbs in the car.

I'm not convinced on the auto level LED...i had multiple people flash their high beams at me thinking I had mine on. I'll have to look into this as I don't want to be blinding anyone.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
I'm not convinced on the auto level LED...i had multiple people flash their high beams at me thinking I had mine on. I'll have to look into this as I don't want to be blinding anyone.
I have that with no load in the car. And I've also had it at least once with the loaner Outback I have right now (2021 with LED lamps). Despite IIHS's test results, I do think the Subaru LEDs give off a lot of glare. I know there's a dim spot just to the left of center that's supposed to help, but I get flashed at least once a week. And I wouldn't want them any lower than they already are -- the horizontal cutoff is about right at the horizon when driving, so I'm nearly certain they're aimed in accordance with the spec. I'm pretty sure these are "VOR" lamps, which means you aim the right half directly at the horizon with no downward adjustment.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What beach did you visit/drive on?
We were in Perdido Key & Pensacola, but you can't put the Ascent in the sand on the gulf side. With the bridge closures from hurricane season, we stayed more west for water access closer to Alabama line
I was going to ask the same thing. Holy 4 bike carrier. My 1Up goes out and up, but that one just goes straight out....lol
Rack is the Thule T2 Pro, I'm actually parked uphill in the photo so it looks kinda wonky. Here's a better shot of rack height on level ground, the rise from the hitch receiver is around 8 inches. It's definitely crazy long though
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
667 Posts
Got it! All I was picturing was once when I passed a pickup on the highway who had so much leverage with his heavy load the front tires would come off the ground for a split second when he hit a bump....lol

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
The steering responsive LED headlamps (standard on all Ascents in 2021, and standard on Limited and Touring in 2019 and 2020) automatically adjust vertically for loads in the rear. In theory, you can apply any load you want to the back of an Ascent with the LED headlamps and they'll automatically level themselves.

I think I observed this directly over Christmas break. My parents and my family all loaded into the Ascent as it was facing our closed garage door. After the headlamps did their left/right initiation, the cutoff pattern notched lower on the garage door about an inch. I presume that was them automatically adjusting to the load.
Maybe it was just switching from high to low beam due to light reflected off the garage door. I know that mine downshifts to low beam when I pull into the garage.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
Maybe it was just switching from high to low beam due to light reflected off the garage door. I know that mine downshifts to low beam when I pull into the garage.
In my case, it was definitely a lowering of the beam (I don't use auto high beams unless I want the high beams on). And it makes sense that they would adjust (they're supposed to automatically do that)...I'm just not sure what criteria they use or how often they do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts