Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help...

For the ones that have already picked up their new Ascent, I noticed a slight metal creaking noise when I am braking to a stop. Doesn't happen all the time but a lot.

At first I thought that it will go away because being new, the metal components are just settling in but is getting worried that it might be something else.

Anyone else noticing this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I noticed that too, when taking a test drive today. I was given the explanation that it is just because everything is brand new.

What is surprising for me is that my current car, with brakepads almost up for replacement, recently started making the same noise.

I am curious to learn as well, if in Ascent's case, this is normal and will go away after some miles are put on a brand new car, or is this something that could be serious?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Is the creaking from outside the vehicle at the actual brake pads/discs or is it inside from the brake pedal being depressed?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Help...

For the ones that have already picked up their new Ascent, I noticed a slight metal creaking noise when I am braking to a stop. Doesn't happen all the time but a lot.

At first I thought that it will go away because being new, the metal components are just settling in but is getting worried that it might be something else.

Picked up our Touring model two days ago...now have 62 miles...have noticed nothing ..so far..?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've heard it. I think it's just the pads getting seated onto the rotors. There's no issue with actual braking power, just a little noise. I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard it. I think it's just the pads getting seated onto the rotors. There's no issue with actual braking power, just a little noise. I'm not too worried about it.
I'm hoping that is the reason too. I have had about 8 new vehicles in my life time and this is the first time I am experiencing this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help...

Had my Ascent Touring since July 2 and just over 100 mile on it at this point. Yes I've noticed the breaking sounds since pickup. Most everytime I break from at least 35 MPH. Giving it over the weekend and if it persists then it's back to the dealer again!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The brakes are new and are also a part of the break-in period, which is why, on page 376 of the owner's manual it states:

The performance and long life of your
vehicle are dependent on how you handle
and care for your vehicle while it is new.
Follow these instructions during the first
1,000 miles (1,600 km):
. Do not race the engine or allow engine
speed to exceed 4,000 rpm except in an
emergency.
. Do not drive at one constant engine or
vehicle speed, either fast or slow.
. Avoid starting suddenly and rapid acceleration,
except in an emergency.
. Avoid hard braking, except in an emergency.

The same break-in procedures should be
applied to an overhauled engine, newly
mounted engine or when brake pads are
replaced with new ones.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Had my Ascent Touring since July 2 and just over 100 mile on it at this point. Yes I've noticed the breaking sounds since pickup. Most everytime I break from at least 35 MPH. Giving it over the weekend and if it persists then it's back to the dealer again!
New brake pads are SUPPOSED to make a little sound - they're wearing in and the high points on the rotors / pads are getting worn off. This is perfectly normal.

When we have cars sit on our lot for a couple of weeks without being driven, one of the things I do when I'm bringing them up is drive with the brakes slightly engaged, so the rust that forms on the rotors gets knocked off. Or ... again, the brakes will make noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For you guys with the knocking noise, did it go away? I just picked up my Ascent today and it's got a consistent brake knock most of the times I come to a complete stop. I've never had new brakes make these kinda noises, so not sure if I should be concerned.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine is doing this too, picked it up yesterday. I've had many new Subarus over the last 10 years and this is the first. Like others have said, I think it's the break in period and seating the pads. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a week or two and if it keeps happening I'll call the dealer. I'm sure it's fine though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm the original thread poster and yes, the braking sounds when coming to a full stop finally went away! Sorry for not updating and I can't remember the mileage but it was between about 1,000 and 2,000 miles.

I'm really glad the noise went away because I have had many new vehicles in the past and had never experienced this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm the original thread poster and yes, the braking sounds when coming to a full stop finally went away! Sorry for not updating and I can't remember the mileage but it was between about 1,000 and 2,000 miles.

I'm really glad the noise went away because I have had many new vehicles in the past and had never experienced this.
Thanks for the update!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Picked my Ascent Touring up Wednesday, it has a creaking suspension noise as you brake to a stop from about 15mph. I'll have them look at it when it goes in to get plates, undercoating and paint protection in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have this brake noise with mine too. I'm right at about 450 miles so I figure it will stop soon. I'm not noticing it as much now as when I first got the car. It makes the worst sound when its wet out so I figured it was just the new brakes pads getting broken in.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the same thing on mine, hoping it goes away eventually

But coming from 6 piston brembos this is quiet ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts