Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m willing to bet that this issue is actually an act of vandalism but I’m just checking in with the community to make sure it’s not something people have seen.

I came out to the car one morning to see that the plastic trim between the passenger windows was completely melted. It looked as if someone took a burning hot pipe and put it up against the car. I checked with the dealership and they said it can’t be anything with the vehicle because there are no electrical parts in there.

Oh and also by brake warning light turns on the dash while I’m driving to say there’s something wrong with the electric parking brake and that the hill start assist is disabled. Good times. And for those asking, yes my parking brake is disengaged when the dash light is on. It seems to turn on when I’m driving uphill.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh and also by brake warning light turns on the dash while I’m driving to say there’s something wrong with the electric parking brake and that the hill start assist is disabled. Good times. And for those asking, yes my parking brake is disengaged when the dash light is on. It seems to turn on when I’m driving uphill.
I had that happen. Took it to the dealer, they cleared the codes and I have not had any repeat of the issue since.

See this thread for more details:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...ms/4355-brake-system-warning-light-issue.html

·
Registered
965 Posts
I’m willing to bet that this issue is actually an act of vandalism but I’m just checking in with the community to make sure it’s not something people have seen.

I came out to the car one morning to see that the plastic trim between the passenger windows was completely melted. It looked as if someone took a burning hot pipe and put it up against the car. I checked with the dealership and they said it can’t be anything with the vehicle because there are no electrical parts in there.
That's vandalism (or at an attempt at theft). I HAVE seen something like that, but when the vehicle involved was too close to a fire.

The way it looks, it almost looks like a heat gun was used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all! I bought my Subaru Ascent in July of 2018, the day they parked them at the dealership. Anyway, I noticed few shiny spots on my passenger window sills (plastic panel) on the front and second row door. Totaling 3 separate window sills. At first, I thought someone’s greasy hands touched my doors. After a couple weeks my wife noticed the same areas had ripples and were warping. I brought it over to the dealer to have it checked out and replaced. Thinking that the panels were just a quality control issue, I fully expected them to replace them with no problem. After 5 hours of waiting, the tell me there are no electrical components that are over heating which can cause the warping in those 3 areas. I’m a bit frustrated. I’ll be reaching out to Subaru’s customer service tomorrow but was curious to see if anyone else has experienced these issues as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
I haven't seen that, but I wouldn't be happy at all, and would respectfully demand it be repaired. That looks awful.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey all! I bought my Subaru Ascent in July of 2018, the day they parked them at the dealership. Anyway, I noticed few shiny spots on my passenger window sills (plastic panel) on the front and second row door. Totaling 3 separate window sills. At first, I thought someone’s greasy hands touched my doors. After a couple weeks my wife noticed the same areas had ripples and were warping. I brought it over to the dealer to have it checked out and replaced. Thinking that the panels were just a quality control issue, I fully expected them to replace them with no problem. After 5 hours of waiting, the tell me there are no electrical components that are over heating which can cause the warping in those 3 areas. I’m a bit frustrated. I’ll be reaching out to Subaru’s customer service tomorrow but was curious to see if anyone else has experienced these issues as well.
See this thread for a similar problem:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...-melted-window-trim-brake-warning-lights.html

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
365 Posts
I'm going to offer a potential cause that will sound outlandish, and may be completely off base, but I'll present it anyway. Has your car been parked in a direction where the sun can be reflecting off an adjacent building's window or some other reflective surface that could be the culprit. I offer this up only because I had a Honda motorcycle that had an issue with the OEM windscreen, and when parked just the right way would focus the sun's energy on the plastic instrument cluster cover and melt it. Okay, you can all stop laughing...

·
Registered
8 Posts
See this thread for a similar problem:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...-melted-window-trim-brake-warning-lights.html
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm going to offer a potential cause that will sound outlandish, and may be completely off base, but I'll present it anyway. Has you car been parked in a direction where the sun can be reflecting off an adjacent building's window or some other reflective surface that could be the culprit. I offer this up only because I had a Honda motorcycle that had an issue with the OEM windscreen, and when parked just the right way would focus the sun's energy on the plastic instrument cluster cover, and would melt it. Okay, you call all stop laughing...
Thanks for the reply. I have thought about that. But it’s really been parked in the driveway where there is really no high reflective windows or mirrors around and same goes with my work parking situation. I still wouldn’t discount this possibility though.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Wow, I just posted about this same exact issue earlier tonight. Any chance you’ve figured out what caused this? I took mine to the dealership and they really had no explaination for me other than it’s an outside source that caused it. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.