Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m willing to bet that this issue is actually an act of vandalism but I’m just checking in with the community to make sure it’s not something people have seen.

I came out to the car one morning to see that the plastic trim between the passenger windows was completely melted. It looked as if someone took a burning hot pipe and put it up against the car. I checked with the dealership and they said it can’t be anything with the vehicle because there are no electrical parts in there.

Oh and also by brake warning light turns on the dash while I’m driving to say there’s something wrong with the electric parking brake and that the hill start assist is disabled. Good times. And for those asking, yes my parking brake is disengaged when the dash light is on. It seems to turn on when I’m driving uphill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sorry to see the plastic bits melted. Were there any signs of heat on the inside? Never heard of vandals doing something stupid like that.

What did the dealer say about the break light?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you have comprehensive insurance, report this to the cops and to your insurer as vandalism or malicious mischief. You may not even have a deductible on this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh and also by brake warning light turns on the dash while I’m driving to say there’s something wrong with the electric parking brake and that the hill start assist is disabled. Good times. And for those asking, yes my parking brake is disengaged when the dash light is on. It seems to turn on when I’m driving uphill.
I had that happen. Took it to the dealer, they cleared the codes and I have not had any repeat of the issue since.

See this thread for more details:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...ms/4355-brake-system-warning-light-issue.html

·
Registered
965 Posts
I’m willing to bet that this issue is actually an act of vandalism but I’m just checking in with the community to make sure it’s not something people have seen.

I came out to the car one morning to see that the plastic trim between the passenger windows was completely melted. It looked as if someone took a burning hot pipe and put it up against the car. I checked with the dealership and they said it can’t be anything with the vehicle because there are no electrical parts in there.
That's vandalism (or at an attempt at theft). I HAVE seen something like that, but when the vehicle involved was too close to a fire.

The way it looks, it almost looks like a heat gun was used.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Wow, I just posted about this same exact issue earlier tonight. Any chance you’ve figured out what caused this? I took mine to the dealership and they really had no explaination for me other than it’s an outside source that caused it. Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks!
I have this exact problem with hill assist and ebrakes.

Happened 3 times. You can look for my post here on the subject and picture.

·
Registered
567 Posts

The Melt part is vandalism. The laminated windows are almost impossible to break. It was a real problem with First Responders when the windows first came out. They now have special tools to put a slice in the window, then they reach in thru the slice and pull the window out - to get to you. On the Facebook Subaru Ascent page, one fellow posted a photo of the damage that was done trying to break and pry his windows out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.