Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a few trips already with the trailer and it is going great. The 200 W solar is working just fine on my 100 Ah batt but I do want to supplement the charging while on the move. I want to take advantage of the Ascent's 200 amp alternator but I want to avoid having to add wires from the alternator to the trailer.

Some questions:
  • What is the max amps that the 12V aux charging circuit on the 7-way connector can handle? Hard to see what gauge wire is being used and which fuse.
  • Does the 4 way connector on the Subaru run on separate circuit or is it directly branched from the 7-way circuit?

Just thinking of my options to add additional charging to my trailer batts. Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I've been on a few trips already with the trailer and it is going great. The 200 W solar is working just fine on my 100 Ah batt but I do want to supplement the charging while on the move. I want to take advantage of the Ascent's 200 amp alternator but I want to avoid having to add wires from the alternator to the trailer.

Some questions:
  • What is the max amps that the 12V aux charging circuit on the 7-way connector can handle? Hard to see what gauge wire is being used and which fuse.
  • Does the 4 way connector on the Subaru run on separate circuit or is it directly branched from the 7-way circuit?
Just thinking of my options to add additional charging to my trailer batts. Thanks!

They share the same main harness. The alternator is 190a, but I am not sure how much of that gets to the 12V aux charging circuit. I thought someone had found that out before, but I cannot find their post.

I will check later to see if I can find a fuse in my car that may at least be indicative of what amperage it's fused for.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Nothing is labeled in any way that would be indicative, though, there's one fuse labeled "Backup" that's 30A, and there are a number of fusible links that are rated at 40A.

There are other 30A fuses, but they've got obviously designated purposes, such as "F WIPER".

Wow, I am stumped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, this one will be interesting. Likely will need to stay on the safe side and get a 10A max charge controller. Thanks for the assist. Would this be something that the Subaru tech folks can answer?

I'll watch the thread if there is something definitive.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Hmm, this one will be interesting. Likely will need to stay on the safe side and get a 10A max charge controller. Thanks for the assist. Would this be something that the Subaru tech folks can answer?

I'll watch the thread if there is something definitive.
I hope so. I'm meeting with a few of them Wednesday, and, it's on my list.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I am wondering how much the alternator can 'spare'? I'm considering adding a DC to DC charger, either from Redarc, or Renogy. Am trying to decide if the alternator on a 2019 Touring alternator would support the 20A or the 40A charger. Thinking 20A, but thoughts? I Believe for either DC to DC charger a seperate (new) cable/circuit and does not use existing tow wiring.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any updates on this? @Cain, we’re you able to hook up anything? I’m interested in doing something similar to supplement our 150w of trailer solar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.