Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a few trips already with the trailer and it is going great. The 200 W solar is working just fine on my 100 Ah batt but I do want to supplement the charging while on the move. I want to take advantage of the Ascent's 200 amp alternator but I want to avoid having to add wires from the alternator to the trailer.

Some questions:
  • What is the max amps that the 12V aux charging circuit on the 7-way connector can handle? Hard to see what gauge wire is being used and which fuse.
  • Does the 4 way connector on the Subaru run on separate circuit or is it directly branched from the 7-way circuit?

Just thinking of my options to add additional charging to my trailer batts. Thanks!

·
Administrator
12,712 Posts
I've been on a few trips already with the trailer and it is going great. The 200 W solar is working just fine on my 100 Ah batt but I do want to supplement the charging while on the move. I want to take advantage of the Ascent's 200 amp alternator but I want to avoid having to add wires from the alternator to the trailer.

Some questions:
  • What is the max amps that the 12V aux charging circuit on the 7-way connector can handle? Hard to see what gauge wire is being used and which fuse.
  • Does the 4 way connector on the Subaru run on separate circuit or is it directly branched from the 7-way circuit?
Just thinking of my options to add additional charging to my trailer batts. Thanks!

They share the same main harness. The alternator is 190a, but I am not sure how much of that gets to the 12V aux charging circuit. I thought someone had found that out before, but I cannot find their post.

I will check later to see if I can find a fuse in my car that may at least be indicative of what amperage it's fused for.

·
Administrator
12,712 Posts
Nothing is labeled in any way that would be indicative, though, there's one fuse labeled "Backup" that's 30A, and there are a number of fusible links that are rated at 40A.

There are other 30A fuses, but they've got obviously designated purposes, such as "F WIPER".

Wow, I am stumped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, this one will be interesting. Likely will need to stay on the safe side and get a 10A max charge controller. Thanks for the assist. Would this be something that the Subaru tech folks can answer?

I'll watch the thread if there is something definitive.

·
Administrator
12,712 Posts
Hmm, this one will be interesting. Likely will need to stay on the safe side and get a 10A max charge controller. Thanks for the assist. Would this be something that the Subaru tech folks can answer?

I'll watch the thread if there is something definitive.
I hope so. I'm meeting with a few of them Wednesday, and, it's on my list.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
976 Posts
I hope so. I'm meeting with a few of them Wednesday, and, it's on my list.
You could mention how nice it would be to monitor CVT temps as part of the towing package, as well as automatically disabling the RAB and parking sensors when connected to a trailer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but I am wondering how much the alternator can 'spare'? I'm considering adding a DC to DC charger, either from Redarc, or Renogy. Am trying to decide if the alternator on a 2019 Touring alternator would support the 20A or the 40A charger. Thinking 20A, but thoughts? I Believe for either DC to DC charger a seperate (new) cable/circuit and does not use existing tow wiring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.