Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have trouble connecting to my home WiFI, so kept getting error messages when trying to download the latest TomTom map update. So, I went to the website and downloaded the update to a USB thumb drive. When I inserted the drive into the car, I get a message telling me that the car must be running to do the update, it should not be in a garage, and it may take one hour. Really? You are supposed to sit in your car for an hour in the driveway or be driving somewhere for an hour to do the update? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
In my experience, you are not. Though you don't have to be inside the car. As I recall, it took more like 20 minutes when I did it a few months ago. Of course, that will depend on the speed of the drive and amount of data to be moved.

I'm not sure, but you might be able to do it without the car running if you are willing to risk draining the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
This isn't really different than almost any other vehicle....updates take time and yes, they vehicle must be "running" (doesn't mean the engine has to be on the whole exercise, however) The same was true for my previous vehicle. The over the air updates via WiFi also are not instantaneous, BTW...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings,
In my experience, you are not. Though you don't have to be inside the car. As I recall, it took more like 20 minutes when I did it a few months ago. Of course, that will depend on the speed of the drive and amount of data to be moved.

I'm not sure, but you might be able to do it without the car running if you are willing to risk draining the battery.
How about if I hook up a battery tender during the update?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
How about if I hook up a battery tender during the update?
Not a good idea. Accessory mode apparently may turn off after a certain amount of time, which may brick your radio if it's in the middle of doing things.

Even a super fast USB 3.x stick can take upwards of 14 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.