Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a proud papa, I finished installing the latest map update in my 2021 Ascent! Rel_UF.20.28.70 NAFTA

It was fun in a geeky kinda way. I'm glad I checked here first so that I used just a plain USB thumb drive and not my uSD adapted drive. Everything went fine.

Now, I'm just sort of wondering why 馃槑

What is in these payloads? I assume that all the map regions are updated but do they include any other noteworthy changes? Is there a change log somewhere to review the changes in each release?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Premium Member
Are the map updates not OTA? As when I first took delivery of my Ascent last week, I choose my 8 regions in the head unit, and it performed an OTA update for quite a while, and updated the maps. This is different than our 2020 Crosstrek that requires the download from the map update site and USB. Maybe it is something new on the 2021 Ascent?

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the map updates not OTA?
They can be. I updated a couple of regions right after we got the car. I think these are updated semi-regularly. We travel cross country and cover 10-11 states in 3 days. So I want to be able to update everything occasionally.

You can also get a USB update from subaru-maps.com that contains, I think, updates for all regions and maybe some other stuff.

I'm trying to confirm that it does indeed update all regions, and understand what that "other stuff" might be.

Premium Member
Sounds good
I use the Subaru maps update for our Crosstrek- I鈥檒l see if it prompts a need for update on Ascent, thanks!

Registered
I just created my account on Subaru maps and you get 4 years. Ironically it lets you put in a VIN without checking rights, so popped in the VIN of the my Subaru Ascent I'm awaiting at the dealer for pickup.

Anyway, easy to get the latest maps and download to USB through a downloader they grant you. ~14GB is needed for the stick. Then you put it into the front USBs after the head unit is up and ready and should prompt you for map update from USB.

So heading to dealer as soon as they tell me the car is prepped and ready and have one envelope with cashier's check, title on my trade in, registration for trade in, proof of insurance on new car, and USB stick for map upgrade. Gotta remember to switch tire pressure to PSI I believe and bring USB cable(s).

Administrator
@misikoff make sure you use a USB 3.x stick, format it to NTFS (even if it's pre-formatted), do not use exFAT or FAT32. Remember to select your map regions in the head unit after updating, and connect it to your home wifi to check for region updates beyond the data on the stick. The "regions" appear to contain more details information than the general map. You can select up to 8.

Registered
@misikoff make sure you use a USB 3.x stick, format it to NTFS (even if it's pre-formatted), do not use exFAT or FAT32. Remember to select your map regions in the head unit after updating, and connect it to your home wifi to check for region updates beyond the data on the stick. The "regions" appear to contain more details information than the general map. You can select up to 8.
Great points Robert! Fairly easy for some of us Apple users to do what I said, but we have to remember that the system of record is what lives in the head unit and those are typically running a base OS that uses NTFS. Glad to see it's not exFAT or FAT32 as that would be a very slow process!

Likely in my case I'll use a phone as a wifi-hotspot as my home Wi-Fi is blocked by our windows (something to check prior to buying windows I guess) and we get very poor reception outside. I was told there's no good place for an extender to pick up a signal as well.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

Registered
Rel_UA.20.41.70 NAFTA
North America_2017.03_7353_28/12569/75686/40863

Publication date:
2020-12-23 08:34
Thanks... the one I did was an August, 2020 update, so this update (currently downloading to same USB-NTFS formatted) is as new as yesterday!

Premium Member
Worked fine.. no noticeable difference yet.. Wish Apple CarPlay was enabled for wireless. Those of you that state the head unit is not capable of that may be surprised to know, it is. With built in Bluetooth and WiFi, it has the hardware necessary. Its a software and licensing issue that is either with the MG Hector HU, or Subaru.

Registered
CarPlay (or the Android equiv) technically can be done OTA bluetooth but then you'd want to charge your phone and you'd be back to plugging it in or getting the wireless charger, which at least would be a cool option.

I do suspect that in the future, they could make the head unit updates OTA/USB and include bluetooth Car Play.

Premium Member
CarPlay (or the Android equiv) technically can be done OTA bluetooth but then you'd want to charge your phone and you'd be back to plugging it in or getting the wireless charger, which at least would be a cool option.

I do suspect that in the future, they could make the head unit updates OTA/USB and include bluetooth Car Play.
Our 2021 performs OTA updates right now. WiFi is crucial to CarPlay wireless, as after the negotiation of BT is performed, it moves the iPhone to WiFi. Since the head unit can network off WiFi, it can negotiate the connection once BT is established, and software is able to provide the link to the two. It鈥檚 a proprietary CarPlay function that VW/Audi and a few others are already doing. No doubt that MG Hector has the coding and is already utilizing it in other OEM HU. Would be great if they can bring it to Subaru!

Administrator
Worked fine.. no noticeable difference yet.. Wish Apple CarPlay was enabled for wireless. Those of you that state the head unit is not capable of that may be surprised to know, it is. With built in Bluetooth and WiFi, it has the hardware necessary. Its a software and licensing issue that is either with the MG Hector HU, or Subaru.
Alas, no. Additional chip(s) that integrate the data signals from the car into the system are required. The WiFi system does not have access to the car's CANBUS data, nor to the head unit's data bus. That's accomplished via USB currently, and there's no connection path between the two.

This is detailed in Apple's developer documents.

Premium Member
Alas, no. Additional chip(s) that integrate the data signals from the car into the system are required. The WiFi system does not have access to the car's CANBUS data, nor to the head unit's data bus. That's accomplished via USB currently, and there's no connection path between the two.

This is detailed in Apple's developer documents.
The head unit in MY2021 has all the necessary components to run wireless CarPlay. It may extend to years older than MY2021, but based upon the HU manufacturer and the developer agreement that have with Apple, their head units can/do support Wireless CarPlay. It simply comes down to license agreement and cost. If Subaru was a bit more popular, no doubt someone would create a SW jailbreak for it. Pioneer head units, a few years ago, had wired capability, upon an update to firmware for certain models of the NEX units, they enabled wireless CarPlay to customers who had that unit which shipped supporting wired CarPlay.

Ours can do the same. However, I will not argue Roberts expertise and knowledge of the CANBUS system鈥檚 necessity to be accessed through the WiFi system as it stands now.

Administrator
Do you know what Gen head unit has it? Because it wasn't in Gen 3.0 or Gen 3.1 - no chip and zero support for such a chip in the software. Harman Kardon had vulnerability issues with both firmware and the USB subsystem. We looked for a direct route to the car via WiFi, and couldn't find it. My friends and I worked through reporting those (along with a slew of other bugs I helped fix), and they got fixed. That includes forcing HK to start seriously encrypting the update files, them fixing speed limit placard issues (random units switching regardless of settings), lost presets and a wifi updater security issue.

Our understanding is that the Wifi system is physically isolated from the other systems (except for storage). There was (is) software that polls for updates, downloads them into temporary storage, and kicks off the installers - but more is needed to actually do real time data.

So, if there's a Gen 3.2 system that's not yet on STIS, I'd be very interested, because, for one, I want to get my friends hammering on it to find any vulnerabilities caused by linking the wifi system to the data bus and controls.

If they added the support in the Gen 3.2 head units, then, that makes me suspect Subaru may indeed be looking to pay to license it at some point. Why else add the cost of changing the head units to support it (unless it was just some arbitrary or cost cutting thing on HK's part, or they hoped it would prompt licensing)?

And if there's something we missed in the Gen 3.0 and Gen 3.1 head units, I'd love for us to revisit it.

The head unit in MY2021 has all the necessary components to run wireless CarPlay. It may extend to years older than MY2021, but based upon the HU manufacturer and the developer agreement that have with Apple, their head units can/do support Wireless CarPlay. It simply comes down to license agreement and cost. If Subaru was a bit more popular, no doubt someone would create a SW jailbreak for it. Pioneer head units, a few years ago, had wired capability, upon an update to firmware for certain models of the NEX units, they enabled wireless CarPlay to customers who had that unit which shipped supporting wired CarPlay.

Ours can do the same. However, I will not argue Roberts expertise and knowledge of the CANBUS system鈥檚 necessity to be accessed through the WiFi system as it stands now.

Registered
I think I'm just going to get the wireless charging put in (order it online on sale, schedule installation, etc) because not only can it charge the passenger's device, it would be interesting if there is an OTA upgrade to the head unit, unlocking/licensing wireless Car Play like multiple car head units allow.

Otherwise there is a BT alternative but that seems to have lag.

Registered

no they cant .. wireless CarPlay or AA done over WIFI and not bluetooth , bluetooth is only used to create WIFI connection

Registered
Do you know what Gen head unit has it? Because it wasn't in Gen 3.0 or Gen 3.1 - no chip and zero support for such a chip in the software. Harman Kardon had vulnerability issues with both firmware and the USB subsystem. We looked for a direct route to the car via WiFi, and couldn't find it. My friends and I worked through reporting those (along with a slew of other bugs I helped fix), and they got fixed. That includes forcing HK to start seriously encrypting the update files, them fixing speed limit placard issues (random units switching regardless of settings), lost presets and a wifi updater security issue.

Our understanding is that the Wifi system is physically isolated from the other systems (except for storage). There was (is) software that polls for updates, downloads them into temporary storage, and kicks off the installers - but more is needed to actually do real time data.

So, if there's a Gen 3.2 system that's not yet on STIS, I'd be very interested, because, for one, I want to get my friends hammering on it to find any vulnerabilities caused by linking the wifi system to the data bus and controls.

If they added the support in the Gen 3.2 head units, then, that makes me suspect Subaru may indeed be looking to pay to license it at some point. Why else add the cost of changing the head units to support it (unless it was just some arbitrary or cost cutting thing on HK's part, or they hoped it would prompt licensing)?

And if there's something we missed in the Gen 3.0 and Gen 3.1 head units, I'd love for us to revisit it.
i am 98 % sure its sill same Gen 3.1 in 2021 Ascent , as it still using 3.1 gen files for updates , if i see correctly 3.2 gen will have 9" screen and no CD slot

Administrator
There is something that changed in the 2021 MY head units, but, I don't know whether it was a QC thing or physical. It'd be odd for them to not subversion the hardware for such a big change. If the hardware has truly existed since the Gen 3.0 release, then we need to go back through an un-updated unit where we have access to the code, and hammer it even harder for vulnerabilities.

Registered
they hiding a lot of items in the units only available based on market , but still update file say GEN 3.1 in it and its same file from 2019 Legy to 2021 Ascent

they also dropping parts of hardware not just software changes , almost like they trying to stop people from modifying /unlocking items
example from US MFD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts