Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a new map update in Aug 19th. I tried to download and update though USB. But during update it said" Update failed, USB is unplugged. System is going to turn off in 180 sec. Do you want to retry?". I tried to reinserting USB, turn off the car, load old update etc.. nothing is working. It keeps on playing the error message and gets rebooted to the same error! Any idea how can I fix this? The USB I used was a USB reader + micro SD card. Not sure that caused the issue.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Have you tried restarting the system by pressing the volume knob in until it reboots?

This should get you back to the previous version.

I'd suggest using a real USB drive instead of the SD adapter.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: other.guy

·
Registered
494 Posts
Agreed with using a real USB drive. I'd even go as far as 3.0. I've used non 3.0 USB drives and they failed each time. Once I switched to a 3.0, the update was fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried restarting the system by pressing the volume knob in until it reboots?

This should get you back to the previous version.

I'd suggest using a real USB drive instead of the SD adapter.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I tried pressing the knob for like 10 secs or so which what I use to reboot it. It didn't seem to be working. May be I will try this for longer.

Yes, no more SD adapter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a problem like that early on when my USB load didn't work. I couldn't get my HU working again until I did a proper USB download. The car accepted the new USB and proceeded to complete the update and all was well after that. Just remember to have patience with step #8. It takes a while to complete.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a problem like that early on when my USB load didn't work. I couldn't get my HU working again until I did a proper USB download. The car accepted the new USB and proceeded to complete the update and all was well after that. Just remember to have patience with step #8. It takes a while to complete.
Thanks I will try that tonight. Getting a new USB 3.0 SanDisk today itself. I did update once before, so I know it takes a bit of time. This isn't about that it started and in less than 10 sec, it said update failed; USB unplugged and keep on rebooting to the same situation.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I've had problems with reading some microSD cards through some USB adapters. Constant disconnects, which either cause copy failures, or in the event of things like this (elsewhere in the computer world) disconnects (volume unmounts as if unplugged).

Also, format the stick NTFS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had problems with reading some microSD cards through some USB adapters. Constant disconnects, which either cause copy failures, or in the event of things like this (elsewhere in the computer world) disconnects (volume unmounts as if unplugged).

Also, format the stick NTFS.
Yes, but here the problem seems to be on the Subaru side. I tried the microSD usb reader back on the computer and moved some files in and out. Seems to be okay. It is not loosely connected either. Well let me try a new USB, if that makes any difference.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Yes, but here the problem seems to be on the Subaru side. I tried the microSD usb reader back on the computer and moved some files in and out. Seems to be okay. It is not loosely connected either. Well let me try a new USB, if that makes any difference.
A computer retries. It affects transfer speed somewhat, but most transient connection resets are not noticed by the end user.

Most firmware updaters do not handle transient connection resets.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A computer retries. It affects transfer speed somewhat, but most transient connection resets are not noticed by the end user.

Most firmware updaters do not handle transient connection resets.
Well, that might have happened. For now the Console OS is like stuck in a point where it looks for USB and it cant find even if I have the USB inserted (or not). Not sure a faster USB or one without a reader would fix this, but I am gonna find it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help. New USB 3.0 (100 Mb/s) worked. Formatted as NTFS just in case. As soon as I plugged it started from wherever it stopped( It didn't ask me whether or not to install as I had given all that "Ok' previously, it right way started updating packages 1 - 9).

Not sure what caused the issue with USB reader. Could it be the speed itself? I had previously used USB reader + UHS II SD card( up to 300 Mb/s) which I use for photography, successfully. This time I was using the microSD UHS iii ( 95Mb/s). The USB reader is 3.0 in both cases. But effective speed because of reader would ha

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I've had problems with exFAT formatted media. Perhaps it was that.

Thanks for all the help. New USB 3.0 (100 Mb/s) worked. Formatted as NTFS just in case. As soon as I plugged it started from wherever it stopped( It didn't ask me whether or not to install as I had given all that "Ok' previously, it right way started updating packages 1 - 9).

Not sure what caused the issue with USB reader. Could it be the speed itself? I had previously used USB reader + UHS II SD card( up to 300 Mb/s) which I use for photography, successfully. This time I was using the microSD UHS iii ( 95Mb/s). The USB reader is 3.0 in both cases. But effective speed because of reader would ha

·
Registered
11 Posts
i find it easier to update maps from hotspot, if you dont have subaru hotspot, make your phone hotspot and connect the gps and update from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts