Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, almost a year ago, I bragged that the Ascent was the #1 SUV rated by Consumer Reports. Well, the competition has increased.

I'm NOT going to tell you that Consumer Reports has rated the Ascent best in its class. That'd be silly. That'd be like saying the ocean is a little damp. ;) :ROFLMAO:

🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽
They rated the Ascent the best SUV of ANY size, in ANY class (including beating every SUV in the luxury classes).
🔼🔼🔼🔼🔼

The. Ascent. Beats. Everyone!!!

STILL. ALL 138 OF THE COMPETITION.

Oh, and Subaru also won in the other two SUV size/class groups they have a car in (with the Forester winning the compact SUV group and the Crosstrek winning the subcompact SUV group).

Go get a CR subscription and read all the details for yourself.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the Customer Satisfaction ratings put the Ascent tops too?

Oh, and they're Number 1 on CR's Brand Report Card?

#Subaru #SubaruofAmerica #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #SubieLove #AscentAdventure

And remember, no one buys CR ratings unlike awards from another "rating" company. And CR doesn't keep switching who's #1 based on who's car they're reviewing like another publication.

With EVERY car release by any company, there are always a few problems. Yet, for a first generation, first year, the Ascent is trouncing everyone else, and its few problems are minor in quantity compared to the 90,000 Ascents sold, and, the owners have spoken!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Far too often do we jump on the forum to complain the minute something happens. Far too little do we jump on the forum to say how our last long driving trip was a success. My ascent has its quirks but I also didn’t expect an absolute perfect car. Overall i am satisfied and it fits the bill! Thanks Robert for your info above.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As many of you know, almost a year ago, I bragged that the Ascent was the #1 SUV rated by Consumer Reports. Well, the competition has increased.

I'm NOT going to tell you that Consumer Reports has rated the Ascent best in its class. That'd be silly. That'd be like saying the ocean is a little damp. ;) :ROFLMAO:

🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽
They rated the Ascent the best SUV of ANY size, in ANY class (including beating every SUV in the luxury classes).
🔼🔼🔼🔼🔼

Oh, and Subaru also won in the other two SUV size/class groups they have a car in (with the Forester winning the compact SUV group and the Crosstrek winning the subcompact SUV group).

Go get a CR subscription and read all the details for yourself. View attachment 1408

Oh, did I forget to mention that the Customer Satisfaction ratings put the Ascent tops too?

View attachment 1409
#Subaru #SubaruofAmerica #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #SubieLove #AscentAdventure

And remember, no one buys CR ratings unlike awards from another "rating" company. And CR doesn't keep switching who's #1 based on who's car they're reviewing like another publication.

With EVERY car release by any company, there are always a few problems. Yet, for a first generation, first year, the Ascent is trouncing everyone else, and its few problems are minor in quantity compared to the 90,000 Ascents sold, and, the owners have spoken!!!

🔽🔽🔽🔽🔽
🔼🔼🔼🔼🔼

Go get a CR subscription and read all the details for yourself. View attachment 1408

View attachment 1409

Robert, what is the date of the data you have posted above prior to the brand ranking chart dated April 2019? Is the rating before that chart newer? I’m trying to find it in CR but I’m not locating anything newer than April 2019. It was the early 2019 ratings that first interested me Subaru in general and the Ascent in particular. What I’ve read on this forum since April is what has subsequently caused my concern about QC and reliability. If there is an update that accounts for consumer ratings since the April report, that will be very helpful, and encouraging, to me. Can you give the date/title of the issue that you are referring to in the chart at the top of your post?

Thanks Robert, much appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great post, that is awesome. I was hesitant to give up my 2018 Crosstrek because I know already its best in its class but I like the Ascent so much and needed more room so I just have to do it. If my 2020 Ascent coming next month is anywhere close to how good my Crosstrek has been then its golden.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Exactly the reason why I don't trust Consumer Reports anymore. I hammered my 2018 Outback in the CR survey and it still shows up as wonderful in the CR review.

·
Super Moderator
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly the reason why I don't trust Consumer Reports anymore. I hammered my 2018 Outback in the CR survey and it still shows up as wonderful in the CR review.

I have the most recent print edition of CR (October 2019) and I don't see anything resembling what Robert is espousing. I only see the best used cars rated and the Ascent is not even listed. I found the article online, but it did not give a date it was published. I am guessing it is a summary of last years ratings.

Didn't they get the information on the transmission, engine and battery failures?
I literally logged in two days ago and screen capped all of the rankings.

As for the brand rating, perhaps you should check above, as I made sure I maintained the article date it was from. ;)

And again, out of 90,000 Ascents, the number of problems is still small. I've been following some of the big recall numbers of the competitors.

I don't know why your October print edition would be different than the online edition from two days ago... but as I said, anyone can log in and check.

THIS is today. 5/5 Owner Satisfaction. Some gripes, but overall satisfied.

THIS is ALSO today. Highest "would you buy again" score.

So, I don't know why what you see is different than literally RIGHT NOW online... but I grabbed the most recent info. And, it's all still there for all to see. ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thats good to hear, even though I'm still a bit bitter at the moment due to my recent repair work. It is a nice vehicle to drive around. Definitely missed it when I drove the Outback and Rogue

I'm surprised the RAV4 was beat. High sales numbers and solid reliability

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thats good to hear, even though I'm still a bit bitter at the moment due to my recent repair work.
recent repair work will soon turn into a fond memory. I recently had the dealer fix my laundry list of little things that I would’ve otherwise done myself if it hadn’t been for the warranty. Since then I simply can’t come up with anything I NEED to fix, though there are several projects on my to do list for upgrades!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don’t believe consumer reports updates this info on a regular basis, but rather yearly with the results from their annual survey. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
190 Posts

I have the most recent print edition of CR (October 2019) and I don't see anything resembling what Robert is espousing. I only see the best used cars rated and the Ascent is not even listed. I found the article online, but it did not give a date it was published. I am guessing it is a summary of last years ratings.

Didn't they get the information on the transmission, engine and battery failures?
Subaru has for decades done an April cars issue. They still do, by evaluating data for an extended period and including knowledge based on testing from the cars they purchase. On Youtube, they have a channel called "Talking Cars" which I subscribe to and watch (no cost involved). Recently they were talking about a car that had lost it approved rating or had a score changed. They said that they now have the ability to get more data throughout the year and revise scoring if appropriate. I have seen many of the talking cars episodes, and all of them featuring Subaru models or questions - I have never heard them talk about the issues that we know about here. I don't have any factual way to account for that. We can all think of various explanations. I personally have never received a survey from Consumer Reports. @Sparkland what was wrong with your 2018 Outback?

·
Registered
842 Posts
So, I don't know why what you see is different than literally RIGHT NOW online... but I grabbed the most recent info. And, it's all still there for all to see. ;)
Hi Robert,

I am not debating that you can access it online. I can provide a link so everyone could see exactly what you are showing, but I don't want my CR account compromised. The question I have is, when were those rankings originally published by CR? I think they might be the same ones that were published earlier in the year when the CR auto issue was printed.

I agree with Robert, the Ascent is a great vehicle, but not necessarily the best SUV for everyone.

@Cactus99, I was half-joking about my Outback - only a few problems which should show up on any survey of value - front seat creak, head unit crashing/freezing, fuel gauge inaccuracy, front window not rolling up. The normal service bulletin issues. All fixed by Subaru.

CR surveys/questionnaires are sent out to subscribers a couple of times/year. It is interesting that CR keeps track of your past appliances/cars/etc and asks you if you still own them or have had trouble with them.

·
Super Moderator
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t believe consumer reports updates this info on a regular basis, but rather yearly with the results from their annual survey. But I could be wrong.
It's kind of something in between. There are almost 60 new SUVs on the list, all rated since the Ascent was rated, and none could beat it. So, those are always ongoing, and none of them could dethrone the Ascent.

Additionally, there's their more than just yearly surveys. I have one waiting for me now, for instance. Perhaps they survey people once a year and those surveys are staggered throughout the year?

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's kind of something in between. There are almost 60 new SUVs on the list, all rated since the Ascent was rated, and none could beat it. So, those are always ongoing, and none of them could dethrone the Ascent.

Additionally, there's their more than just yearly surveys. I have one waiting for me now, for instance. Perhaps they survey people once a year and those surveys are staggered throughout the year?
Thanks Robert - I too looked at my October print edition when I saw this, but it only had "USED CAR" ratings for everyone. I then assumed this information was from online.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I agree that no other SUV has eclipsed the Ascent's overall rating. However, I don't believe CR changes the individual stats for a particular vehicle throughout the year. If they do, that's great because I'd love to see owner opinions of their Ascent continue to rise. Trust me, although I've had no issues with my 2020 Touring, I've been monitoring CR (both print & online) for any indication of some of the issues brought up in the forums. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree that no other SUV has eclipsed the Ascent's overall rating. However, I don't believe CR changes the individual stats for a particular vehicle throughout the year. If they do, that's great because I'd love to see owner opinions of their Ascent continue to rise. Trust me, although I've had no issues with my 2020 Touring, I've been monitoring CR (both print & online) for any indication of some of the issues brought up in the forums. :)
Yep, the Ascent started at 88.

·
Super Moderator
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with Robert, the Ascent is a great vehicle, but not necessarily the best SUV for everyone
Of course not. I agree. I know people driving Crosstreks or CX3s... assuming nothing changed in their lives, the Ascent would be a ridiculous replacement.

But, I presumed anyone looking here would want something Ascent-big, and in that area, there's nothing outside of the luxury class with as capable AWD or as good IIHS ratings (and only one luxury class vehicle that matches its IIHS ratings).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Subaru has for decades done an April cars issue. They still do, by evaluating data for an extended period and including knowledge based on testing from the cars they purchase. On Youtube, they have a channel called "Talking Cars" which I subscribe to and watch (no cost involved). Recently they were talking about a car that had lost it approved rating or had a score changed. They said that they now have the ability to get more data throughout the year and revise scoring if appropriate. I have seen many of the talking cars episodes, and all of them featuring Subaru models or questions - I have never heard them talk about the issues that we know about here. I don't have any factual way to account for that. We can all think of various explanations. I personally have never received a survey from Consumer Reports. @Sparkland what was wrong with your 2018 Outback?
I have received surveys and completed them. I too listen to “Talking Cars” and am a CR subscriber. I believe based on their cycle of review that we will have more data and rankings in April 2020. This is good timing for me because I’ll be making a final decision between a Subaru (Ascent/Outback) and the 2020 gas and hybrid Highlander’s due to be released (Dec-gas/March-hybrid). CR may not be perfect but I know of no better objective source of rankings.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Greetings,
As it happens, I logged into CR yesterday curious to see if the Ascent rating has been updated for the 2020 model. It has not. I was impressed by the 2020 Kia Telluride rating. Although second to the Ascent, it's 90 also beats all of the luxury editions.

I'm a fan of CR and agree it's the most objective source. That said, I get the sense that they have tilted the scales of these reviews to reward the advanced safety features. They strongly advocate that Eyesight-like features be made standard on all vehicles. I suspect Subaru is being rewarded for this. Otherwise, the only reason the Ascent beats the BMW and Audi is reliability. Certainly important, but like many others, I don't understand why CR awarded the Ascent a 5/5 for reliability in its first year of existence. Especially when they rate the Forester as 4/5 for reliability. (Same goes for the transmission: 5/5 for the Ascent and 4/5 for Forester.)

Not that I let my skepticism stop me from bragging about its number 1 status.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
24 Participants
rockthebeef
Subaru Ascent Forum
Ascent Forums, The Largest 2017 and newer Subaru Ascent community & owners club. Tech discussions, turbo & tuning and more.
Full Forum Listing