Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When new vehicles come out how soon before manufacturers come out with incentives. Right now only financing incentives are listed. Does December bring better incentives even though the model is new? Considering purchasing in December in hopes of incentives/cash back type stuff. My assumption is Labor Day weekend won't help with any deals for the Ascent due to popularity and being so new. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
12,501 Posts
Don't wait.

When new vehicles come out how soon before manufacturers come out with incentives. Right now only financing incentives are listed. Does December bring better incentives even though the model is new? Considering purchasing in December in hopes of incentives/cash back type stuff. My assumption is Labor Day weekend won't help with any deals for the Ascent due to popularity and being so new. Thoughts?
Subaru doesn't do manufacturer incentives. They build to order, instead of over-building and causing a surplus. And, the Ascent, like the Outback, will continue to sell out. They can only make 60,000 of them a year, and demand looks to be greater than their ability to supply them due to regulations that limit how many they can build each year.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Subaru doesn't do manufacturer incentives. They build to order, instead of over-building and causing a surplus. And, the Ascent, like the Outback, will continue to sell out. They can only make 60,000 of them a year, and demand looks to be greater than their ability to supply them due to regulations that limit how many they can build each year.

So are all the units that are delivered built and ordered by the dealer? Or does Subaru also randomly send units into dealers?

When calling around for Ascents some people made it sound it was a mystery as to when they were going to get more and what trim levels they would be.

·
Administrator
12,501 Posts
Good question...

So are all the units that are delivered built and ordered by the dealer? Or does Subaru also randomly send units into dealers?

When calling around for Ascents some people made it sound it was a mystery as to when they were going to get more and what trim levels they would be.
I am not entirely sure how the limited dealer stock cars are determined. There's a test drive car(s) and zero to some number of dealer stock cars for out-the-door quick sales. @Carl Abrams or @Jason could answer that a lot better than my limited knowledge of how dealer cars get assigned.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm willing to bet money that there won't be so much as an interest rate discounted lower that 3.49 for at least the first few years. It makes zero sense for Subaru to put rebates on a car that is selling so well.

We as a dealership do not get to order inventory units. Subaru does that for us based upon sales numbers. We can custom order for a customer but if we abuse that system and order a bunch for fake customers Subaru removes our ability to customer order. If we don't sell 60% (or a number close to that) of our sold orders to the customer that is named on the order form we lose it.

We usually see our inbound inventory about 6 to 8 weeks in advance. That is when a customer can reserve that inbound unit.

·
Registered
965 Posts
What is this mysterious cash back you mention? Oh, that's what a company that doesn't sell literally 100% of everything they make has to do.

Car & Driver had a cute little comment about Subaru having 79 months in a row of continuous growth, something none of us have seen since before puberty.

Based upon how things are going with the Ascent, you probably won't see any real quantities on dealers lots until sometime in 2020. I've said this on here before - when the Outback did the model change to the 2015 model in July of '14, and Eyesight cars weren't available until September of '14, we went until March of 2016 with ZERO Outback inventory on the ground. You'd come in, test drive a service loaner, we'd order you the car, and it'd show up in 8 weeks or so. Forester did that for 9 months during body style change in the fall of '13, to the 2014 model. Crosstrek is darned near doing that now.

Because people are used to what OTHER car companies end up doing, they assume that it works this way with Subaru as well, that we'll have huge inventories on the ground at end of model year to 'get rid of'. That doesn't happen with us. Never has. Outback this year has gone from the 2018 to the 2019 model year, I have 10 left right now, and we'll probably sell all of those by the end of next week.

Inventory (stock) units are sent to us by Subaru. If they come from Indiana, we're able to use an internal system on Subienet to change some things on those stock units, but we can't change the model mix. So I could change the color or a few accessories, but I can't change a sunroof car for a non-sunroof car. That's for stock units. Order units I can pick what the model is, but those also count against our unit allocation. They can (and do) adjust our allocations based upon results - we got more allocated to us because we've been so successful in selling them. Right now I have 32 Ascents showing on my pipeline, 8 of those are NOT order units - so hopefully by the end of September I'll actually have a couple on the ground we can sell without having to order. Also, using Subienet, I can see what's out there at OTHER dealers - that's how we arrange dealer trades. There are a few out there in the wild, but they are few and far between. Keep in mind I'm in OKC - so within 400 miles of me, there are a bunch of other dealerships. (There's 13 in Texas alone that I can (and do) trade with - that's not counting San Antonio or Houston, those are too far away to for me to trade with.)

Here's an example - KCE 21, 11 different colors choices. There are 13 TOTAL available for sale right now within 400 miles of me. KCE 23's, there's 7. And most of those are 300 plus miles from me. That's it, for ALL the colors. Outbacks, JDF 24 (2018 2.5i with eyesight and moonroof), there's 29 black ones on the ground within 400 miles of me. Heck, there's 19 of the 2019's in that color alone. 48 of just ONE color.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am not entirely sure how the limited dealer stock cars are determined. There's a test drive car(s) and zero to some number of dealer stock cars for out-the-door quick sales. @Carl Abrams or @Jason could answer that a lot better than my limited knowledge of how dealer cars get assigned.
Being "new to Subaru", I had no idea about this.

I consider myself EXTRA-lucky now... my dealer had the trim level that I wanted, with the option package that I wanted, in the seat configuration that I wanted, in the COLOR that I wanted. Talk about against the odds...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Availability will depend on the weather where you shop. Might be easier to find in some southern state areas but otherwise as Subaru starts catching up on preorders the threat of snow will be looming & available vehicles will be spoken for quickly. The 2020 will be popular simply because it is no longer a first year model & many waited to order that. If you need to change/ upgrade a vehicle & can't find what you want available then ordering & planning 3 months in advance would be the best route to get an Ascent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Being "new to Subaru", I had no idea about this.

I consider myself EXTRA-lucky now... my dealer had the trim level that I wanted, with the option package that I wanted, in the seat configuration that I wanted, in the COLOR that I wanted. Talk about against the odds...
That is extremely lucky :smile:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Right now I have 32 Ascents showing on my pipeline, 8 of those are NOT order units -
I have 45 in my pipeline - every single one has a name attached to it. That doesn't mean all of those will be sold to those people. I've had 5 or 6 fall through so far but every single one has been sold within a couple days. That includes the first one that fell through and we reserved it as a demo model. We put over 300 miles on it in a couple weeks. As soon as it was for sale again it was gone within the week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. My closest and largest Subaru dealer Anchor Subaru only had two on the lot when I test drove. Neither was exactly what I wanted. I'd consider ordering but I personally don't purchase any large ticket item without physically seeing it first. If I were to order do I have to give a deposit? Am I penalized if the vehicle arrives and for some reason I don't purchase after the test drive?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
A fully refundable $500 deposit is the norm.

We've heard that some dealerships ask for more and others have indicated that their dealerships have noted that the deposits are non-refundable. I stick to dealerships with the normal deposit agreement.

·
Registered
965 Posts

We've heard that some dealerships ask for more and others have indicated that their dealerships have noted that the deposits are non-refundable. I stick to dealerships with the normal deposit agreement.
What he said ...

When we place an order for a vehicle, on the order screen there's a little box that comes up stating that by placing this order, we certify that we have a buyers order (aka signed worksheet) and a deposit on file (aka a check stapled to that worksheet). This is to make sure that we as dealers aren't just ordering cars for inventory that are more desirable than what we normally would be given by Subaru. And Subaru corporate can (and does) come in to audit things to make sure. I know I had to pull my folder out to show our District Manager that yes, all 20 of those Ascents that I had ordered by middle of June had real people attached to them.

·
Registered
60 Posts

The dealer we ordered through told us that our $500 deposit was non-refundable. We certainly don't plan on backing out so I wasn't concerned about the deposit not being refundable, but I was a little surprised when they said that. We went through a rather small dealership in our area, so that could have something to do with it too.

·
Administrator
12,501 Posts
The dealer we ordered through told us that our $500 deposit was non-refundable. We certainly don't plan on backing out so I wasn't concerned about the deposit not being refundable, but I was a little surprised when they said that. We went through a rather small dealership in our area, so that could have something to do with it too.
Mine wasn't refundable either. Didn't care, big, highly rated dealership that I've dealt with multiple times in the past.

·
Registered
304 Posts
non-refundable, for us, is mostly to make sure the customer is serious about buying before we put in an order or go find a vehicle to trade. More-so for dealer trades. If we trade vehicles with another dealer, we don't get the holdback for that vehicle sale, if joe snuffy backs out, the deposit covers what the customer cost us.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ours is fully refundable, however they don’t keep/hold they check they deposit it that day and if we back out was told 7-10 business days to get it back and issue us a check. Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t I read somewhere where Subaru said all deposits were refundable? Somebody has this issue and when they called SOA they told them it was refundable and worked with them to get their deposit back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.