Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that had an OEM hitch installed at the dealer...
I was reading the installation instructions and at the bottom it states "After the first 600 miles, please consult with SUBARU dealer to re-check the tightness of Trailer Hitch bolts and/or nuts." I was not made aware of this when I bought the car. Is this a free service?

It also states "For models equipped with RAB (Reverse Automatic Braking) system, please consult with SUBARU dealer when towing a trailer.". I have it. What do I need to know?
I'll be contacting the dealer tomorrow but want to see anyone else has any answers in the meantime.

Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's interesting about the hitch bolts. Let us know what they say. (Also I'm left wondering, is it 600 miles or 600 miles of towing?)

For both a U-haul cargo trailer and a recreational trailer, I had to turn off RAB and the other warning (I forget what it is, but the two of them occupy the lower corners of the big display when you are in reverse). RAB sensed the object behind me and put on the brakes hard! Anyway, I imagine that is what they are referring to. Long press each screen button to turn them off when you are in reverse.

F.S.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
In addition to deactivating the features found on the bottom of the reverse camera screen, paragraph 7 of the single page information sheet that came with the hitch it states to turn off the BSD/RCTA feature if your car is so equipped. This button is located down to your left above your left knee. Of note, unlike the "reverse screen" button features, the BSD/RCTA feature will remain off until you turn it back on, while the other features (I.e. RAB) will automatically default to the "on" position the next time you start the car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
It's not unusual for that kind of request/suggestion to check torque on something critical. Costco even asks for a torque check after a certain number of miles after a tire rotation/installation just to be sure things are setup and seated correctly. I suspect that issues are few and far between, but honestly, there's no harm in checking it if you know how or having the installer do it. Since it's a recommendation from Subaru, I would think it would be hard for the installing dealer to require payment for that post-install checkup, too. (Some might try, however...)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Following. Exact same questions. Got our Ascent last night with a dealer installed hitch. (It's nice that they give you the wiring harness saves me the $15 bucks buying the adapter from etrailer. Just gotta connect the 4 wires)

Big manual package, lots to read. I know RAB, but what is BSD/RCTA.?

It doesn't say if it's 600 miles or 600 miles of towing? So wondering the same.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke with my salesman today. They will check the tightness free of charge after 600 miles. He also went over the procedure to disable RAB. I'm not sure why the instructions state to ask the dealer instead if just telling you to disable RAB. I sent another email asking if its 600 miles of driving or towing. I'll report back what I'm told.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was informed that the check be performed after 600 miles of towing. On a side note, pull your hitch cover off and check the wiring. The tech that installed mine had it pinched between the tire and the body. The loom was crushed and could have probably caused a problem if not caught.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts