Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I both drive subarus and consequently we each have two identical looking key fobs. It would be great if my fob would work with both my legacy and her ascent.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
My wife and I both drive subarus and consequently we each have two identical looking key fobs. It would be great if my fob would work with both my legacy and her ascent.
After consulting Dr. Google it looks like Subarus can recognize up to 4 key fobs and there are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this with a keyed ignition using the lock/unlock buttons after switching the ignition on and off ten times. I didn't run across any that showed how with a push button start Subaru.

It's probably a similar procedure, pushing the Start/Stop button a number of times to get into programming mode.

Seems like it should be possible and I'd want to do that too if I had 2 Subies.

Reactions: packout

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
And then there is the...if you press "unlock" how many vehicles are going to respond at the same time? ;)

I understand the key fob thing, however...we have three Subarus in the driveway now and two of them (My Ascent and my spouse's MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight) have identical fobs. The MY11 uses an old fashioned "fob-key" I bought a couple of silicone covers for the Ascent keys to help differentiate the extra keys in the key box in the kitchen which also benefits by keeping mine from clanking on my other keys which all hang on a belt loop. I do expect that at some point, our wireless devices will take over this function as newer near-field communications get refined so that they have enough range to make them practical for general use.

Reactions: ctpreviti

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The Ascent can presumably recognize up to 8 FOBs. Pretty sure the Denso FOBs use rolling codes, so, using it on one car may invalidate it for the 2nd car. Additionally, as already mentioned, even if rolling code confusion didn't render the FOB useless for one or both cars (until reprogrammed), locking or unlocking two cars at once might not be one's desired activities.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Now I am wondering if a custom dual FOB case could be made to house the internals of two FOBs. There's a decent amount of dead space. Hmmm....

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
And hopefully more secure. The trouble with NFC is that it can be skimmed by nefarious d-bags. If afore-mentioned d-bag skims your NFC car key, they can clone it and get a free ride at your expense.
You are absolutely correct...I was kinda using "near field" generically around the idea of proximity which is why I didn't use the acronym. Security is important and clearly, there is going to need to be improvements around secure communication streams (strong encryption) for use of personal devices as "universal remotes".

Reactions: ctpreviti

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
For me the issue is not just about differentiating the FOBs but rather only needing to carry one FOB and still have access to two or more of my vehicles. Pre-FOB, I would carry keys on my ring for all my vehicles on me in case of emergencies.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I agree with you packcout...carrying two fobs makes for a bigger footprint, even for folks like me who hang keys on a belt loop. It wasn't "terrible" when the two fobs were very different in size and shape, but that's not the case now since I got my Ascent.

·
Registered
573 Posts
At one time I had programmed my wife's key to work with both my forester and her Tribeca, she had the all in one key I had the separate fob and key. And indeed it does work, but as Robert pointed out, the unintended consequence is you unlock two vehicles at the same time when they are close to each other. I think the more practical route might be to keep the backup key on your key ring and leave the fob within the vehicle then use the app to unlock the doors when needed. If the Ascent allows that, I am not sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts