Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1280 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ordered a Magnetite Gray Ascent Limited on June 23rd. Picked the car up on Sept. 7th, 10 weeks later. Noticed a few instances of "slipping" in the transmission. About a week ago, wife was driving with our autistic son when multiple warning lights came on and the transmission failed. AT temp light was on, eyesight disabled, check engine light, brake light, etc... Car wouldn't move and she had to coast into a school. Car has 5,000 miles. Had to call Subaru Roadside Assistance and have the car towed to the dealer. Dealer has had the car for a week. They called in a regional engineer to inspect. After examining the car for a week and putting 85 miles on it, they are telling us to come pick it up since they can't reproduce the problem and don't know what's wrong. All they did was check the connectors on the top of the transmission and check the fluid level. They didn't even change the fluid given that the AT temp light came on. Very disappointed in Subaru. They are basically throwing us to the wolves and hoping the problem doesn't happen again. They won't replace the transmission. We are very nervous about driving the car or taking the car on any sort of extended trip. With winter coming we are seriously considering dumping the car. Would never recommend Subaru after this experience.

Oh no. I just purchased a 2020 Ascent touring (3 days ago...77 miles and counting) Have you had any more issues/problems with yours?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried calling Subaru corporate?

It sucks that you have you deal with that with such a new car. Keep us posted with the resolution.
I am going through this now, SoA will not do anything unless the dealership tech has it happen while driving it. We have video of it happened and writing down when it happens but SoA does not accept that. So back to the dealer we go for a third time praying it happens to them. So very frustrating and lost confidence in this car, only 24k when this started. Really mad because I loved taking this car on long trips, but scary when you are traveling at highway speeds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happened again this morning. The problem occurs between 40-50 mph. While driving at a steady speed the RPMs go up and there is a distinct "squealing" sound, then the RPMs drop and the transmission catches again. Almost sounds like what we used to hear in older cars that had a slipping A/C or power steering or alternator belt. Speed (MPH) stays constant, RPMs increase. Occurs more frequently going up hills. It definitely feels like the transmission or a belt or something is slipping. We are going to try another dealer this morning and give them the print out from the other dealer with the prior trouble codes.
Exactly what we are experiencing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My transmission slip would happen around 20 miles per hour and under 2,000 rpms. The street up from my house is an incline kind of a steep hill and it would always happen then. So maybe if you tried a lower speed at a lower RPM, it will reiterate the same feeling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me guess. You work for a dealer right?
I had the same kind of problems with a Nissan Pathfinder braking system. Pedal would go to the floor without slowing the vehicle. Scary! It only happened on a very specific kind of road surface. After 4 attempts to get it fixed, they finally found the issue, which led to a recall on all Pathfinders. Don’t give up, but as frustrating as it may be, the techs can’t fix what “ain’t broke”, or what they can’t duplicate. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exactly what we are experiencing.
We're experiencing this same dilemma with our 2019 Ascent Touring (build June 2018). It's currently at the dealer and they're having problems replicating the issue. They did the recall fix last month, but it has acted up on numerous occasions while my wife has driven it since. Same story of wacky RPMs, screeching noise, and the stuttering/hestitation/slipping. What's the best way to get the vehicle to "act up on command"? Apparently the dealer can't do anything until they experience the issue first-hand. We've had the vehicle since March 2019 and the dealer has had it for nearly a month during that twelve month span. I had a 2013 Pathfinder with CVT issues and it is on the third transmission. I'm hoping that we didn't get a lemon and/or make a mistake purchasing a first year model.

·
Registered
592 Posts
DWH, I had the same problem it would act up but would not throw codes. It took about a week until it went out in a more dramatic code throwing way. Then I got the new transmission.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What's the best way to get the vehicle to "act up on command"? .
Well, the stall test that's part of the recall process is one way to put maximum stress on your transmission. If that doesn't do the trick I don't know what would. Jut tell the dealership to repeat that test to see if it fails now that it's having symptoms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, the stall test that's part of the recall process is one way to put maximum stress on your transmission. If that doesn't do the trick I don't know what would. Jut tell the dealership to repeat that test to see if it fails now that it's having symptoms.
The vehicle is still at the dealer (dropped off 2/21). Our case is now with a Senior Rep. This ordeal started on 12/9. My wife took the car in because it was having the screeching, RPM, hesitation issue. The service rep at the dealer said he knew what was going on and that there was actually a recall about it, gave my wife a loaner, and two hours later we had our vehicle back. I read the recall and can almost guarantee that it was not test driven as instructed per the recall. My wife said they basically indicated that something needed to be "reprogrammed". Their fix did not work and now we're stuck three months later trying to get the car to "act up". I'm thinking now that if they had properly done the recall and test driven the vehicle, checked the diagnostics, then it would have had the CVT/harness, etc, replaced by now. Are records kept on whether a test drive was done? We loved our Outback and probably should have kept it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone go for a second opinion? They're telling us that the vehicle is being driven by multiple folks (today's conversation), but I don't know if they've actually done a stall test on it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Anyone go for a second opinion? They're telling us that the vehicle is being driven by multiple folks (today's conversation), but I don't know if they've actually done a stall test on it.
I believe they should be able to hook up a device to record the stall test.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What is the stall test exactly? I see it called out in the instructions as part of the diagnostic procedure but can someone explain it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
What is the stall test exactly? I see it called out in the instructions as part of the diagnostic procedure but can someone explain it?
It's pretty simple- Lock the brakes, chock the wheels. point the car away from anything, and stomp the accelerator until the engine stalls. Hence "stall test". Kinda brutal, but reveals problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Talked to our "Senior Rep" this morning. She's sticking to the script in terms of having to replicate the issue while the tech is in the vehicle (car has apparently been driven <30 miles since 2/21). I mentioned a stall test being done and she said that she was unable to speak to technical matters. She could also not verify that the recall was done properly other than saying it was checked off as such and the actual record was proprietary to the dealer. Can the dealer not perform the stall test in-house without the test drive component or is that not acceptable proof to Subaru? Extremely disappointed in them so far. This certainly feels like the runaround. Nissan had an issue with their CVT transmission (we're on our third transmission in our Pathfinder). It was replaced with zero questions asked each time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I mentioned a stall test being done and she said that she was unable to speak to technical matters. She could also not verify that the recall was done properly other than saying it was checked off as such and the actual record was proprietary to the dealer.
That's garbage. Ask for someone that CAN or get SOA involved. And it's your car. You're allowed to know what's been done to it.

Extremely disappointed in them so far. This certainly feels like the runaround.
Yup, sounds like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ordered a Magnetite Gray Ascent Limited on June 23rd. Picked the car up on Sept. 7th, 10 weeks later. Noticed a few instances of "slipping" in the transmission. About a week ago, wife was driving with our autistic son when multiple warning lights came on and the transmission failed. AT temp light was on, eyesight disabled, check engine light, brake light, etc... Car wouldn't move and she had to coast into a school. Car has 5,000 miles. Had to call Subaru Roadside Assistance and have the car towed to the dealer. Dealer has had the car for a week. They called in a regional engineer to inspect. After examining the car for a week and putting 85 miles on it, they are telling us to come pick it up since they can't reproduce the problem and don't know what's wrong. All they did was check the connectors on the top of the transmission and check the fluid level. They didn't even change the fluid given that the AT temp light came on. Very disappointed in Subaru. They are basically throwing us to the wolves and hoping the problem doesn't happen again. They won't replace the transmission. We are very nervous about driving the car or taking the car on any sort of extended trip. With winter coming we are seriously considering dumping the car. Would never recommend Subaru after this experience.
Please hang in there. Had the same issue (never got towed). But once it happened, Subaru jumped thru hoops for us. Contact Subaru America and you will get results. Needed a new transmission, none in the country. Got loaner to go to Florida, they shipped the car to Florida for us also. Very happy with their handling

·
Super Moderator
6,510 Posts
FYI ... i have loner right now Acsent limited 2020 build 1/20 and no morning chirp at all ... something changed ...
My MY2020 doesn’t chirp.
Many 2010's through 2019's don't chirp either. I don't know exactly why. I just know that many have, since 2009 to date.

Though, it is possible they've changed the shape of a valve in the valve body to prevent the chirp. I'd probably do that considering some people are once again afraid of the CVT because of the harness. It wouldn't be a bad move.

1261 - 1280 of 1280 Posts