Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1280 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
This is a write up from consumer reports saying the issue with the Subaru Ascent CVT is something different:

No, the harness can cause the CVT to slow or hesitate while driving. Concurrently, that action damages the CVT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This beyond frustrating. I posted on here about 13 months ago, looking at the Ascent. Our family has yet to buy a new family SUV. Nothing checks all the boxes for what we need, except the Ascent. We have waited these 13 months in hopes that this issue would get ironed out and some time go by where they prove to be rock solid. We need a 3 row suv, gets decent fuel mileage, can tow 5,000 minimum, and has a good AWD system. Now we want something that has automated braking (crash avoidance) as we have 3 kids who will all be driving in the next 2 to 3 years, and the Ascent would make us feel MUCH better knowing a forgetful, inexperienced driver will be driving one of the safest vehicles on the road for the first year or two of their driving experience. We want to be Subaru owners sooooo bad, but still do not feel comfortable pulling the trigger until at least a year has gone by that these issues (and any other issues that might surface) are ironed out. We can't wait for the Subaru to get the bugs out so we can buy one. I honestly wish Subaru would just put a proven 8 speed traditional transmission in the Ascent. I am sure Aisin has a transmission they could easily modify to put into the Ascent for Subaru.

·
Registered
651 Posts
2020s are good to go man. I love mine. 2021s in April might even see further improvements.
First model years are always rough for Subaru.
Only outstanding issues that may or may not get fixed are the trunk left open battery drain and the crap-arse various audio offerings.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This beyond frustrating. I posted on here about 13 months ago, looking at the Ascent. Our family has yet to buy a new family SUV. Nothing checks all the boxes for what we need, except the Ascent. We have waited these 13 months in hopes that this issue would get ironed out and some time go by where they prove to be rock solid. We need a 3 row suv, gets decent fuel mileage, can tow 5,000 minimum, and has a good AWD system. Now we want something that has automated braking (crash avoidance) as we have 3 kids who will all be driving in the next 2 to 3 years, and the Ascent would make us feel MUCH better knowing a forgetful, inexperienced driver will be driving one of the safest vehicles on the road for the first year or two of their driving experience. We want to be Subaru owners sooooo bad, but still do not feel comfortable pulling the trigger until at least a year has gone by that these issues (and any other issues that might surface) are ironed out. We can't wait for the Subaru to get the bugs out so we can buy one. I honestly wish Subaru would just put a proven 8 speed traditional transmission in the Ascent. I am sure Aisin has a transmission they could easily modify to put into the Ascent for Subaru.
I think the problems were all with the 2019's. The 2020's are solid. I have one, build date October 2020, and had concerns, but no more. The one thing I upgraded was the battery to an AGM on sale around Christmas and it's a very robust battery. Not that I had problems with the old one, but I needed a battery for my tractor so used the stock Ascent for that and put the AGM in. Having owned 4 other Subaru's I can testify this Ascent is in a whole other league from those. It's got TONS of power for example. Who would think that this would be the quickest car I've ever owned! Faster than my 73 Camaro even. It's the smoothest as well. I can get up over 80mph on the on ramp and it feels like 60 and just as quiet both during acceleration and at speed. I can see where this thing could get me in trouble. Took it up to 90 and could not tell the difference in feel from 65. And quietest. I have hearing issues. At freeway speeds, my wife was constantly having to repeat herself. No more. I can even hear the turn signal relay! Ha! Good fuel mileage, I average 23.2 over 5200 miles. Seats are much more comfortable than my last Subaru, a 2015 Forester. I love the tranny too, mostly because I never, ever think about it. Push the gas, it goes. What else is there to know about 'em. I like how Android Auto interfaces my phone to the car, using Google Maps, WASE and other apps. It will even read me any messages or texts when they come in. Just say, Hey Google and you have directions, a phone call placed, local resturant suggestions, even parking locations.
I can not find fault with this car. Not one.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
This beyond frustrating. I posted on here about 13 months ago, looking at the Ascent. Our family has yet to buy a new family SUV. Nothing checks all the boxes for what we need, except the Ascent. We have waited these 13 months in hopes that this issue would get ironed out and some time go by where they prove to be rock solid.
It IS ironed out. 2020s don't have the affected CVT harness, and 2019s are being inspected and repaired.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Based on my experience with my 2019 limited which had a harness replaced , If I could go back in time for a redo, I would buy the 2019 again. SOA to date has stepped up and taken care of whatever had to be taken care of. I love the vehicle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are the 2021's on the lots in 3 months? wow I am surprised.

2020s are good to go man. I love mine. 2021s in April might even see further improvements.
First model years are always rough for Subaru.
Only outstanding issues that may or may not get fixed are the trunk left open battery drain and the crap-arse various audio offerings.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Perhaps someone will post a video so us less tech savy people can figure out how to do that too. I do like the Honda web page that shows video explainers on many of their vehicle's functions. be nice if Subaru had that too.
Love their URL..

What else is there to know about 'em. I like how Android Auto interfaces my phone to the car, using Google Maps, WASE and other apps. It will even read me any messages or texts when they come in. Just say, Hey Google and you have directions, a phone call placed, local restaurant suggestions, even parking locations.
I can not find fault with this car. Not one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Perhaps someone will post a video so us less tech savy people can figure out how to do that too. I do like the Honda web page that shows video explainers on many of their vehicle's functions. be nice if Subaru had that too.
Love their URL..
There's nothing techy about it. I have the app installed on my phone. With the car running, soon as I plug my phone in, the car recognizes it and google maps app pops up showing my location. I can then say, hey google! directions to Silverado Middle School, Roseville. It will give me both verbal and visual directions to where I need to go pick up the grand kids. I can ask google anything, like Call Home or Read Message or anything else. If I get a text while driving, Google will pop up asking me if I would like to have the message read. If I say yes, it will read the message, then ask if I would like to reply.
I didn't do anything other than load the app on the phone and plug it into the USB port closest to the car's display.
Sometimes Google smarts off to me. Once while driving to dinner with my wife, I said to her she looked very nice this evening. Google replied, 'that's high praise coming from you'. Both me and wife were shocked! Ha!

I want to add;
Other apps from my phone are available on the car display after I plug in my phone as well. Amazon Music for example. It's a little button that shows up on a bar at the bottom of the screen along with other buttons that utilize other apps on my phone.

I also forgot;
There's a couple dedicated tech persons at our dealer. One went over the car's techy stuff with us; how to pair the phones and such. He said to take the car home, play with the features and make a list of stuff I have questions about. Then call to make an appointment with him and he'd go over those things I found to need help with. If I did that, he would give me a $25 gas card good for $25 in gas at the local filling station. I suggest utilizing that at your dealer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We need a 3 row suv, gets decent fuel mileage, can tow 5,000 minimum, and has a good AWD system. Now we want something that has automated braking (crash avoidance)
Most of the mid-size SUVs will check those boxes. Pick your favorite and go with it when you need/want to. The large SUVs (Tahoe, Sequoia, Expedition) will also but come at a higher purchase and operating price.

We want to be Subaru owners sooooo bad, but still do not feel comfortable pulling the trigger until at least a year has gone by that these issues (and any other issues that might surface) are ironed out.
So you want to see no recalls or major complaints for 12 months? The transmission recall came out in December, so you've got 10 months until you can buy. Can you wait that long?

I get the feeling you're in analysis paralysis mode and you'll feel better after making a purchase and being done with it, no matter which model you choose. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Excellent info thank you SkiPro3, is this a Subaru app you refer to?

There's nothing techy about it. I have the app installed on my phone. With the car running, soon as I plug my phone in, the car recognizes it and google maps app pops up showing my location. I can then say, hey google! directions to Silverado Middle School, Roseville. It will give me both verbal and visual directions to where I need to go pick up the grand kids. I can ask google anything, like Call Home or Read Message or anything else. If I get a text while driving, Google will pop up asking me if I would like to have the message read. If I say yes, it will read the message, then ask if I would like to reply.
I didn't do anything other than load the app on the phone and plug it into the USB port closest to the car's display.
Sometimes Google smarts off to me. Once while driving to dinner with my wife, I said to her she looked very nice this evening. Google replied, 'that's high praise coming from you'. Both me and wife were shocked! Ha!

I want to add;
Other apps from my phone are available on the car display after I plug in my phone as well. Amazon Music for example. It's a little button that shows up on a bar at the bottom of the screen along with other buttons that utilize other apps on my phone.

I also forgot;
There's a couple dedicated tech persons at our dealer. One went over the car's techy stuff with us; how to pair the phones and such. He said to take the car home, play with the features and make a list of stuff I have questions about. Then call to make an appointment with him and he'd go over those things I found to need help with. If I did that, he would give me a $25 gas card good for $25 in gas at the local filling station. I suggest utilizing that at your dealer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an iphone so I'm assuming it's the same deal? Apple car play app instead... would it do the same things?

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I have an iphone so I'm assuming it's the same deal? Apple car play app instead... would it do the same things?
Pretty much.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes, I use my iPhone over Bluetooth to do everything that @SkiPro3 mentioned except Navigation because I have built in Nav. You can use all the Siri commands by long pressing the Talk button on the steering wheel. I use it all the time to make calls, send and read texts, set reminders, make lists, etc. You will have to be connected over USB to do Navigation with Apple/Google Maps, Waze, etc with Carplay.

My wife thinks it is hilarious that Siri calls me Sweetie.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd be concerned as well, both for the short term and the longer term. As far as the short term aspect, you may have to drive it more and see if it recurs, but I would press them on changing the transmission fluid, in case it really did exceed the ATF temp and it wasn't just a sensor providing a bad reading, to prevent longer term concerns of lessened transmission life due to burnt fluid.

Not sure on a Subaru if they can read the ODB and see what the ATF temp history is or only the current reading when they are pulling codes, etc.

Did they drive it much to see if the problem recurred? I'd try to supply them with as much info about how long it had been driven, etc leading up to the event when it did happen, so they can try similar conditions to replicate it.
Be patient and informative to the dealer. Take images of the dash when it lights up. Mine happened with 2,500 lbs of trailer after going over the Cascades yet the function was fine. The light up repeated then cleared several times. The AT temp is the same lamp as the secondary circuit pressure. All the lights tell you that the system isn't happy so the supervisory control is not allowed to function. Mine was repaired after several diagnostic visits with the cable assembly replacement, the same as the current recall. all's fine at 29,000 miles.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,528 Posts
There has recently been a recall for this. I just got notification the end of last week.
The recall is for the transmission harness and it updates firmware as well as checks for certain codes to determine if the transmission may have been damaged by the harness. Most vehicles are fine without physical attention after the software and diagnostics are done.

1241 - 1260 of 1280 Posts