Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1058 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a Magnetite Gray Ascent Limited on June 23rd. Picked the car up on Sept. 7th, 10 weeks later. Noticed a few instances of "slipping" in the transmission. About a week ago, wife was driving with our autistic son when multiple warning lights came on and the transmission failed. AT temp light was on, eyesight disabled, check engine light, brake light, etc... Car wouldn't move and she had to coast into a school. Car has 5,000 miles. Had to call Subaru Roadside Assistance and have the car towed to the dealer. Dealer has had the car for a week. They called in a regional engineer to inspect. After examining the car for a week and putting 85 miles on it, they are telling us to come pick it up since they can't reproduce the problem and don't know what's wrong. All they did was check the connectors on the top of the transmission and check the fluid level. They didn't even change the fluid given that the AT temp light came on. Very disappointed in Subaru. They are basically throwing us to the wolves and hoping the problem doesn't happen again. They won't replace the transmission. We are very nervous about driving the car or taking the car on any sort of extended trip. With winter coming we are seriously considering dumping the car. Would never recommend Subaru after this experience.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Twice I had our 2005 Ford Five Hundred light up with Limp Home Mode or All Wheel Drive failure, both to be resolved by stopping the car, shutting it off, and restarting. Neither ever occurred again in 13 years of ownership. Back in the 20th century, I had a Plymouth Minivan that shut off for no reason, had to be towed, with no problem found. It never occurred again. My point is give the Ascent a chance. The incident was unsettling, but it may never occur again.

People make machines; like people, sometimes they have a bad day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd be concerned as well, both for the short term and the longer term. As far as the short term aspect, you may have to drive it more and see if it recurs, but I would press them on changing the transmission fluid, in case it really did exceed the ATF temp and it wasn't just a sensor providing a bad reading, to prevent longer term concerns of lessened transmission life due to burnt fluid.

Not sure on a Subaru if they can read the ODB and see what the ATF temp history is or only the current reading when they are pulling codes, etc.

Did they drive it much to see if the problem recurred? I'd try to supply them with as much info about how long it had been driven, etc leading up to the event when it did happen, so they can try similar conditions to replicate it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What do you expect them to do if they can't reproduce the problem?
You know there is such a thing as data logs, right? In these high tech vehicles, why wouldn't there be a log of sensor data? Heck, these cars have a black box that keeps the last 30 seconds of telemetry data prior to an accident.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Was it still in a disabled state when it arrived at the dealership?

At this point, if the dealership can't come up with a problem and the Ascent is behaving normally, you really have no choice but to thunder on. Don't get me wrong, I would be pretty upset if I was you and my confidence in my new car would be greatly diminished as well.

Since everyone now carries still/video cameras in their pockets, I would make absolutely sure to document as much as possible if this occurs again. That will position you better to get a more substantial solution.

·
Registered
973 Posts
OP: that's a logical step to accept and move forward. Keep driving it and be mindful of the issue leading up to it if it happens again.

It appears that they went beyond the normal routine procedure at a dealer and brought in an engineer to make the assessment. Did you get a report of their efforts or just verbal? If verbal, you need to get a report, something in writing!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you tried calling Subaru corporate?

It sucks that you have you deal with that with such a new car. Keep us posted with the resolution.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Let me guess. You work for a dealer right?
Yes I do. But still, it was an honest question. Sure there is data in the computer but it only does so much.

If there is a brand out there that is going to take care of you, its Subaru. I've seen it many times. But you still have to approach things logically. If it happens more than a few times then they can properly diagnose it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Cars are complex computer and mechanical machines. How often does your Ipad or lap top simply need a restart due to some wonky issue? Cars are no different today. You might have 3-4 odd events over 10yrs of ownership where something goes wonky and the car needs a restart

·
Registered
763 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it, the very first time I got in my Ascent the touch screen was frozen. I turned the car off then back on and its never had a single issue with the screen since then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have the car back. As suspected, they don't know what caused the problem and since they can't reproduce the issue, they basically told us to cross our fingers and pray to the Subaru gods that it doesn't happen again, like when we are on vacation or in the middle of a snowstorm in January. The issue happened at a stoplight. Dashboard lit up and my wife had to gun the engine just to get the car to creep along to get it into a parking lot. Clearly an issue with the CVT (likely a slipping chain) that Subaru refuses to recognize. We have been talking to Subaru corporate and their position is that if the dealer cannot reproduce the problem, there is nothing they can do. I asked what if this happens 10 more times, then what? The answer was if the dealer can't reproduce it, there is nothing they can do. The dealer checked the CVT fluid level and the connections on the transmission and that's it. Didn't even replace the CVT fluid. Dealer now says they were following instructions from the regional engineer. They gave us a print out of the trouble codes and it goes on for 4 pages, including startability malfunction, pre-ignition detected, transmission control system (MIL request), incorrect gear ratio, ECM, AT, and multiple codes for the Eyesight system and combination meter (along with XM/satellite digital audio radio service antenna faults).

I have owned Subaru cars for 20 years. My dad owned Subaru cars beginning in 1970 with the "GL" (actually, he owned the Malcolm Bricklin "360" before that). I owned a 3 cylinder Justy at one point. I had an Outback that went to 225,000 miles. My current 2011 Outback 3.6r has 175,000 miles and I have not had a single issue with the 5at transmission. Unfortunately, given our experience, I would not be inclined to recommend Subaru or to purchase another one. The customer service we have received is horrible. Will never buy another Subaru.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, now that I think about it, the very first time I got in my Ascent the touch screen was frozen. I turned the car off then back on and its never had a single issue with the screen since then.
Respectfully, a frozen touch screen is not even in the same league as a transmission failure.

·
Registered
969 Posts
We have the car back. As suspected, they don't know what caused the problem and since they can't reproduce the issue, they basically told us to cross our fingers and pray to the Subaru gods that it doesn't happen again, like when we are on vacation or in the middle of a snowstorm in January. The issue happened at a stoplight. Dashboard lit up and my wife had to gun the engine just to get the car to creep along to get it into a parking lot. Clearly an issue with the CVT (likely a slipping chain) that Subaru refuses to recognize. We have been talking to Subaru corporate and their position is that if the dealer cannot reproduce the problem, there is nothing they can do. I asked what if this happens 10 more times, then what? The answer was if the dealer can't reproduce it, there is nothing they can do. The dealer checked the CVT fluid level and the connections on the transmission and that's it. Didn't even replace the CVT fluid. Dealer now says they were following instructions from the regional engineer. They gave us a print out of the trouble codes and it goes on for 4 pages, including startability malfunction, pre-ignition detected, transmission control system (MIL request), incorrect gear ratio, ECM, AT, and multiple codes for the Eyesight system and combination meter (along with XM/satellite digital audio radio service antenna faults).

I have owned Subaru cars for 20 years. My dad owned Subaru cars beginning in 1970 with the "GL" (actually, he owned the Malcolm Bricklin "360" before that). I owned a 3 cylinder Justy at one point. I had an Outback that went to 225,000 miles. My current 2011 Outback 3.6r has 175,000 miles and I have not had a single issue with the 5at transmission. Unfortunately, given our experience, I would not be inclined to recommend Subaru or to purchase another one. The customer service we have received is horrible. Will never buy another Subaru.
When any conplex machine does stuff like this find a safe spot and record video of the malfunction. Talk into the video explain under what conditions it started acting up, what sort of indication told you there was an issue. Assuming you show the behavior on video then shoot a second video showing you shutting itdown snd restarting. Then give the video to the dealer and Subaru hq. The response you get will be much better than just some shoulder shrugging and head scratchers

This could easily just be a loose wiring harness plug that no one has bothered to check. Or a failing ECU or yes bad cvt. Subaru historically takes pretty good care of owners who get bum gear. But the process to ID it and deal with it could be rough especially if the dealer isn’t motivated to do the forensics on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We did provide photos of the dashboard and a video (of the dashboard). My wife could not take video while she was driving but she did take video while in the parking lot, showing the dashboard and AT temp light. The dealer was not interested in the photos or video and said they would need to look at any trouble codes. We are probably going to get a dashcam and record. Our problem is what we were told by both the dealer and corporate - unless the dealer can reproduce the issue (video or not) there is nothing they can do. Unfortunately Subaru has not taken very good care of us as owners of a $45k car.

·
Registered
600 Posts
We did provide photos of the dashboard and a video (of the dashboard). My wife could not take video while she was driving but she did take video while in the parking lot, showing the dashboard and AT temp light. The dealer was not interested in the photos or video and said they would need to look at any trouble codes. We are probably going to get a dashcam and record. Our problem is what we were told by both the dealer and corporate - unless the dealer can reproduce the issue (video or not) there is nothing they can do. Unfortunately Subaru has not taken very good care of us as owners of a $45k car.
I have worked with Subaru on issues in the past and they are responsive so I can not believe they are not taking your issues very seriously . I was told there is a dedicated team who handles any Ascent issues due to the newness of the car and are very concerned about problems. After Tribeca they want the Ascent to succeed

1 - 20 of 1058 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
150 Participants
Cactus99
Subaru Ascent Forum
Ascent Forums, The Largest 2017 and newer Subaru Ascent community & owners club. Tech discussions, turbo & tuning and more.
Full Forum Listing