Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This bug makes the maintenance reminder feature useless. There's no point in using it if you're not able to reset it at the time of service to remind you of the correct time for the next service.

Why bother if you just have to remember to "correct" the mileage at some later time? You're better off just disabling the feature & remembering yourself when to perform the actual service. So it seems we're just back to doing things the way we've always done them . . . .

· Registered
268 Posts
Greetings,
This is not a knock on the original poster: you found something not working and asked about it. All good.

But some of the subsequent comments are pretty interesting. If we are at the level of complaining that a car doesn't remind you that 6 months or 6000 miles have passed, we must be doing pretty good.

Personally, I'd rather a car either go all in and have some sort of internal monitor for oil quality or leave me alone.

· Registered
268 Posts
True, it's not the end of the world.

Some people just like their vehicles to function the way they're supposed to, whether it's a battery, a transmission, or a maintenance reminder . . . .
I totally agree. There is no such thing as an overly trivial question or issue worth discussing. Part of the reason I like this forum is to learn about these kind of things. The apparent cause of the problem is indeed interesting.

I was just a little surprised at the level of passion expressed (by others) about this particular problem.

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
This bug makes the maintenance reminder feature useless. There's no point in using it if you're not able to reset it at the time of service to remind you of the correct time for the next service.

Why bother if you just have to remember to "correct" the mileage at some later time? You're better off just disabling the feature & remembering yourself when to perform the actual service. So it seems we're just back to doing things the way we've always done them . . . .
You can reset the maintenance reminders on the Ascents with the full color upper digital display. Some dealerships do it as a part of service. Most, I think, do not, because customers complained (per a service department - so may not scale to nationwide)?

For those who do not have the full color display (as well as for those who do), you can set or enable reminders in the MySubaru app. If you have an interval service done by the dealership, the reminder should clear. If you let them do part, and you do part - or if you or a non-dealership service center do it, you can go to the maintenance list and mark it done (and add notes and date and time and mileage).

If you have the correct level of Starlink Service (currently Safety and Security Plus or better), you can also set all sorts of other notifications and alerts, and select email, push notification or text (or any combination thereof).

· Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 12681 View attachment 12682 View attachment 12683 View attachment 12684 View attachment 12685 View attachment 12686 Here are pix from my last 3 oil changes. Each time I change the oil, I reset the engine oil interval, the tire rotation interval, and the maintenance schedule interval to 6000. You can see that the maintenance intervals are not counting down correctly. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Hopefully someone answered this, but it doesn’t count down perfectly because it’s condition based service. The computer adjusts based on driving styles…it’s an estimate of when based on how the car has been driven!

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
Hopefully someone answered this, but it doesn’t count down perfectly because it’s condition based service. The computer adjusts based on driving styles…it’s an estimate of when based on how the car has been driven!
No, it's a mileage based "service" where once you hit a certain mileage, it shows an alert. You can visually see it on the Subies with the full color upper MFD.

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
As Robert mentioned, that's not true for the Ascent. Some vehicles do have certain kinds of sensors on them that gages oil life, but Subaru doesn't do that.

· Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, but I am going to have to agree with the original poster here. When I changed my oil last time, I did it early, but looking at the mileage left to go on the maintenance minder (I had set it at 6000 miles), I didn't think it was that early. So I made a conscious effort to make sure I carefully entered 6000 miles as the distance, going by both the owners manual and videos that are posted on the internet on setting the maintenance minder.

After seeing this thread the other day, I went and checked the mileage to go on the maintenance minder. It read 5417, indicating I should have drove 583 miles since the minder was set. I then noted the current mileage as being 16360, the mileage at oil change was 15541, which tells me the mileage from last oil change is 819. Now I know 819 doesn't equal 583, and the kilometer to miles conversion doesn't even come into play here, so there is definitely something wrong with the maintenance minder.

Now I know it is incumbent on me to keep an eye on the mileage to make sure I change my oil at the proper intervals, but come on folks, this is a $45,000 vehicle. I have owned two 2002 Honda Accords, a 2008 Honda Civic, a 2008 Acura TL and a 2015 Nissan Rogue. ALL had maintenance minders that tell you when it is time to change the oil. And resetting those minders on those vehicles isn't rocket science. I never had an issue with the mileage reading correctly on any of those vehicles. And I'm not going to drive around and keep looking at the odometer and asking myself is it time to change the oil, especially if the vehicle is equipped with a function that should be doing it. The Nissan is my daughter's car, which I never drive, so the maintenance minder is quite important. The Ascent is my wife's car, which I rarely drive, so the maintenance minder is important there as well. Not really sure why Subaru can't get this right, as this is not a new invention in cars.

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
Sorry, but I am going to have to agree with the original poster here. When I changed my oil last time, I did it early, but looking at the mileage left to go on the maintenance minder (I had set it at 6000 miles), I didn't think it was that early. So I made a conscious effort to make sure I carefully entered 6000 miles as the distance, going by both the owners manual and videos that are posted on the internet on setting the maintenance minder.

After seeing this thread the other day, I went and checked the mileage to go on the maintenance minder. It read 5417, indicating I should have drove 583 miles since the minder was set. I then noted the current mileage as being 16360, the mileage at oil change was 15541, which tells me the mileage from last oil change is 819. Now I know 819 doesn't equal 583, and the kilometer to miles conversion doesn't even come into play here, so there is definitely something wrong with the maintenance minder.

Now I know it is incumbent on me to keep an eye on the mileage to make sure I change my oil at the proper intervals, but come on folks, this is a $45,000 vehicle. I have owned two 2002 Honda Accords, a 2008 Honda Civic, a 2008 Acura TL and a 2015 Nissan Rogue. ALL had maintenance minders that tell you when it is time to change the oil. And resetting those minders on those vehicles isn't rocket science. I never had an issue with the mileage reading correctly on any of those vehicles. And I'm not going to drive around and keep looking at the odometer and asking myself is it time to change the oil, especially if the vehicle is equipped with a function that should be doing it. The Nissan is my daughter's car, which I never drive, so the maintenance minder is quite important. The Ascent is my wife's car, which I rarely drive, so the maintenance minder is important there as well. Not really sure why Subaru can't get this right, as this is not a new invention in cars.
It's really simple. Once a new interval is started, it counts down the miles to your set point.

It does sometimes get "messed up" during dealer service.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts