Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is everyone's maintenance reminder working correctly for them? Mine doesn't seem to count down from 6000 correctly. Every time I change the oil + oil filter and rotate the tires, I reset the countdown timer to 6000 miles for all 4 settings (i.e., oil, oil filter, tires, & maintenance schedule). I leave the date blank.

Recently my Ascent reached 24,000 miles, but all maintenance icons were still green at startup. I went into the "Maintenance Schedule" menu and checked the mileage, and it still displayed 2217!

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We bought our 2020 in December 31 2019, it’s my wife’s car and I rarely ride in it. I didn’t realize you have to set your own maintenance so it hasn’t had an oil change. I’m pretty disappointed in the dealership, and disappointed in Subaru. We have the app and there isn’t any maintenance scheduled in the app or on the car. Do I have to input all of the maintenance reminders myself? Can I download them to the app?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
We bought our 2020 in December 31 2019, it’s my wife’s car and I rarely ride in it. I didn’t realize you have to set your own maintenance so it hasn’t had an oil change. I’m pretty disappointed in the dealership, and disappointed in Subaru. We have the app and there isn’t any maintenance scheduled in the app or on the car. Do I have to input all of the maintenance reminders myself? Can I download them to the app?
I did not bother setting the reminder for my 2019. I maintain awareness of the mileage for an oil change from the sticker on the windshield and I know the larger intervals for maintenance from reviewing the manual. I also receive emails from Subaru for maintenance reminders but many times they are not quite spot on. for instance the tire rotations they do not account that I get them at Discount tires. They do not know that I changed out my all seasons for winter tires so they do not account for the mileage difference. I do manually enter the service that I mentioned that they would not ordinarily know about via on-line. currently I am just a hair under 36,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,035 Posts
OTOH...the maintenance schedule is pretty clear in the manual, so regardless of reminders that are possible with the system in the vehicle, as owner's we are supposed to be aware of the requirements and monitor our miles/time accordingly.

Like packout, I don't bother with the in-vehicle reminder system. The odometer tells me what I need to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree that it’s the owners responsibility to conduct proper maintenance on their vehicle. This also isn’t the 70s or 80s and this isn’t a base model $20k car. it’s not the motor, tires, and seat belts that have drove the cost of vehicles up $15000 in 15 years it’s the added technology, convenience, and safety. The Car comes with an app to lock doors or start the engine, but it cant tell my wife she put 7k on since the last oil change?

I think that it was designed to do that, but on oversight left mine blank? That is my real problem with the vehicle, maybe it’s Subaru, maybe it just a brand new vehicle with hiccups, but I feel this vehicle isn’t nearly refined enough for the money I payed. I’ve only ever owned a Toyota or Honda in my life, and while they haven’t been perfect they make this thing look like a red headed stepchild.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,035 Posts
Computers only do what they are told to do. I can appreciate that it never being setup is disappointing, but I did do it myself early on when I noticed that my dealer set things up for half the mileage that the manufacturer schedule. It wasn't hard and the process is detailed in the manual. Get the PDF version as it's a lot easier to search. I no longer keep the "book" in my vehicle taking up space.

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
I agree that it’s the owners responsibility to conduct proper maintenance on their vehicle. This also isn’t the 70s or 80s and this isn’t a base model $20k car. it’s not the motor, tires, and seat belts that have drove the cost of vehicles up $15000 in 15 years it’s the added technology, convenience, and safety. The Car comes with an app to lock doors or start the engine, but it cant tell my wife she put 7k on since the last oil change?

I think that it was designed to do that, but on oversight left mine blank? That is my real problem with the vehicle, maybe it’s Subaru, maybe it just a brand new vehicle with hiccups, but I feel this vehicle isn’t nearly refined enough for the money I payed. I’ve only ever owned a Toyota or Honda in my life, and while they haven’t been perfect they make this thing look like a red headed stepchild.
Even when set exactly to the book maintenance values, a seemingly equal number of people complain about the notifications, as those who don't have them set but wanted them set. I've literally helped an equal number of each to reverse however theirs was set.

Anyway, it's easy to turn on - or off... I even made a video that can be used to set, turn off or change maintenance reminders.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
171 Posts
Until I saw this thread, I actually had no idea there were reminders like that, but sounds like a good idea for my tired old brain that can use all the reminders it can get. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts