Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I am in the process of buying my first subaru...an ascent :D
The dealer told me that I need to do oil changes every 6000 miles or 6 months.
I dont drive as much...in 6 months may be I may clock 2k miles or so...
I wasnt sure of this recommendation, especially coming from an Honda, where they just go off the minder alerts. Would doing an oil change every year (3-4k miles) void the warranty?
Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, they quoted me a maintenance plan, generally with Subaru how do these work? Can the car be taken to any dealership when you purchase a maint plan or does it have to be taken to the same dealership you purchased it from for maintenance? Conversely is there a nationwide maint plan which I can shop from another dealer? Unfortunately dealer wasnt forthcoming with much info on what it covers...so I am in the dark on it...
Thanks!

·
Registered
561 Posts
If the owner manual says every 6,000 miles/6 months, which ever comes first, you'll have to do that in order to keep the warranty valid.
I've never gotten their maintenance plan, but have gotten the Gold Plus extended warranty. It paid off for me on a 2011 Forester that used too much oil between changes. They replaced the engine with a new one and cost me nothing other than what I paid for the warranty. Included a loaner car too. I would imagine the maintenance plan would be managed as well. Dealer service department culture plays a huge role in this sort of thing. My local dealer and service department are very fair with everything they've ever done for us. I would not hesitate to buy a maintenance plan if I thought I needed one.

·
Registered
822 Posts
6k intervals is what’s required,dealer is correct .Which ever comes first and try to keep your service receipts for future reference in case you go from dealer to dealer for services/maintenance.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Folks,
I am in the process of buying my first subaru...an ascent :D
The dealer told me that I need to do oil changes every 6000 miles or 6 months.
I dont drive as much...in 6 months may be I may clock 2k miles or so...
I wasnt sure of this recommendation, especially coming from an Honda, where they just go off the minder alerts. Would doing an oil change every year (3-4k miles) void the warranty?
Thoughts?
Thanks!
I bought the SOA maintenance plan and it appears on MySubaru. I'm on the every 6 mo schedule. I had my 12 month maintenance in Sept. and just recently hit 6,000 miles. I understand the 36 month service about pays for the plan. I purchased the: "Subaru Added Security Maintenance Plan" - 36 months/42,000 miles for $946 (in Sept 2018)

I just Google it and here is one dealerships ad, so this is what it covers and needs to like from from your dealership:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Also, they quoted me a maintenance plan, generally with Subaru how do these work? Can the car be taken to any dealership when you purchase a maint plan or does it have to be taken to the same dealership you purchased it from for maintenance? Conversely is there a nationwide maint plan which I can shop from another dealer? Unfortunately dealer wasnt forthcoming with much info on what it covers...so I am in the dark on it...
Thanks!
Greetings,

Personally, I pass on maintenance plans. But if you do choose one, be aware that what the dealer offers may be a third party arrangement and not the Subaru plan. That was the case for my dealership. Corporate Subaru sends me the occasional "reminder" that I can sign up to its official maintenance and warranty plans that are good at all dealerships.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also, they quoted me a maintenance plan, generally with Subaru how do these work? Can the car be taken to any dealership when you purchase a maint plan
Yes! your maintenance plan is in the system for your car's VIN. Any Subaru dealer will see what the plan you bought covers and will not charge you for that service.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
cars101.com has the Ascent maintenance schedule.

Be aware that many dealers have a multi-point check list they follow for each of your visits. They will provide that to you when you pick up the vehicle. The problem is that those that actually complete the check will sometimes pencil whip some items. I have what I consider a very good service department where I take my Ascent. I just had them complete the 30,000 mile check up for which a change in the air and cabin filter is called for. I bought them myself to do the work on my own. The multi-point check list noted that they both were in good condition, so if true I was going to hold off on teh change for some time. I was challenged to believe that the tech actually checked them (possible the engine air filter) so I figured I would double check and if indeed they were in good condition I would save the filters I just purchased for a fall or winter change. I found the air filter to be in mostly okay condition but I would not classify it to a customer as good condition and the cabin filter certainly needed changing. This confirmed to me what I suspected regarding the pencil whipping of the inspection.

Now these are small items so I am not fretting, but I did want to nip it before it became a habit for the tech.

It does come down to trust. If I can not trust what the dealer is representing to me through their staff then I might as well take care of each and every item myself or go somewhere else for service/purchasing.

Since the general manager sent me an email for service feedback I have responded accordingly.

See attached photos and provide your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
See attached photos and provide your thoughts.
If you know what you’re doing you’ll have the most peace of mind by checking up on things yourself.
My wife took her Kia for an oil change a couple days ago and gave me the list of recommended service they gave her at the end. It included power steering flush (was aware of that) and brake flush (fluid barely has any color, changed it myself about 3k mi ago). I thanked her for not getting the services performed and verified the brake fluid was still good.
I’ve also had a Chevy dealer tell me my air filters need changed. I had a brand new aftermarket cai and had just replaced the cabin filter.
Finally, almost without fail, at the annual state inspection I’m told the wipers need replaced.
For an average person if they can afford these extra expenses each time and haven’t/won’t be doing the maintenance themselves it’s probably a good thing the dealer is doing them. I just wish they’d actually do the inspection before they make recommendations that imply they inspected it but more likely are simply based on the maintenance schedule for your vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.