Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have certain service work done the battery needs to be disconnected and so I have found that some of my head unit settings are gone. What should/can the dealer do to maintain my settings when the battery needs to be disconnected?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I forget where I saw it but there is a device designed to preserve your radio and car settings when your battery is pulled. I think it’s basically a small backup battery to supply enough powers to keep the settings. I’m not sure if it was one of the major car parts stores like autozone or oreillys, at orvac electronics, or even online. Sorry if that’s not much help, but that all I can remember.

·
Registered
561 Posts
All my radio pre-programmed channels were preserved. So was my wifi, bluray and phone pairings. What exactly did you lose when your battery had been disconnected?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Only thing that gets lost that I’ve noticed are the other 2 displays’ many settings (gauge cluster center, top dash center), not radio settings.
Audio settings, stations, BT etc were all kept.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I forget where I saw it but there is a device designed to preserve your radio and car settings when your battery is pulled. I think it’s basically a small backup battery to supply enough powers to keep the settings.
I believe that type of device is for replacing the battery. If the battery needs to be disconnected because the work being done requires removing electrical power from the vehicle, then that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe that type of device is for replacing the battery. If the battery needs to be disconnected because the work being done requires removing electrical power from the vehicle, then that wouldn't work.
If the work being performed requires cutting off power completely then NOTHING will work.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yep. That's how I interpreted what the OP said, "When I have certain service work done, the battery needs to be disconnected." Other than replacing the battery, I figure that usually means needing to remove power from the vehicle.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
It's interesting how decently long the list of service items are that start with "Disconnect battery..."

·
Registered
147 Posts
Actually come to think of it, years ago there was a backup battery just for the head unit. I’m not sure if they still exist. They were intended for people that were constantly working in their cars. I don’t remember if it was a small 12v hooked up inline with the HU or o w of those large capacitor type. In any case, try to find one of those. So unless it calls for disconnecting power from HU, you should be able to use one of those if they’re still around.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think this is what your talking about. It uses a household 9v battery and plugs into the accessory port. There's not enough power to actually run anything but it keeps enough to save the memory. I used it on my '02 Forester and it did work. I'm not sure if it'll work out be safe to use with the modern electronics in the Ascent.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-6...saver&qid=1576781583&sprefix=radio+mem&sr=8-2

Electronic device Technology Electronics accessory Cable Wire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.