Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I dropped my car off for its first oil change today (4800 miles)
Dealer said I could wait for tire rotation until 6000miles, but wants 50$/rotation!

I was thinking of starting a plan with costco who does it for 100$ for all tires for the life of the tire...wondering if this would void warranty down the lane?

This is just for tire rotations...rest of the services I still plan to do with the dealer to keep warranty alive :)

Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
In most states I'm aware of, it's the law that the warranty is not voided no matter who does any service. If you have the records that the service was done, even something as simple as the receipts for oil/filters you purchased, the warranty has to be honored. This is done to allow owners to perform their own service as well as prevent dealers from having a monopoly on service for the duration of vehicles' warranties.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
In most states I'm aware of, it's the law that the warranty is not voided no matter who does any service.
In the US, that's Federal law...

·
Registered
638 Posts
I do my mine every time I do oil change. Takes an extra 45 min but it's ok.

I've had luck at discount tires in the past before since I've bought a couple sets of tires from them and they can look me up in their system. They did my other car in the past for free. I haven't tried lately though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Next time you purchase tires, considering buying them from Costco and you'll get free rotations for the life of the tires.
Discount Tire offers free lifetime rotation. Free lifetime balancing and flat repairs too.

DT also offers no-hassle proration credit for premature wear. Came in handy when my wife’s Continental True Contacts hit 4/32nds at 40k miles. Almost $200 credit towards a new set of Continental Crosscontact LX25s.

Does Costco offer these as well?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Discount Tire offers free lifetime rotation. Free lifetime balancing and flat repairs too.

DT also offers no-hassle proration credit for premature wear. Came in handy when my wife’s Continental True Contacts hit 4/32nds at 40k miles. Almost $200 credit towards a new set of Continental Crosscontact LX25s.

Not sure of this...I know there is some kind of credit, but not sure how much...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discount Tire price matches with a written quote. Not badmouthing Costco - just very satisfied after 25+ years going to DT. Costco might be just as good, but their selection is rather limited whenever I’ve peaked in to see if they were lower-priced. Sorry, don’t carry that brand/model!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
Yes.

Discount Tire isn't an option for many of us because they have no physical presence in our geography. (There are similar areas with no Costco, too, to be fair) So Costco is my go-to for tires now for years.

Reactions: pro10is

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yes.

Discount Tire isn't an option for many of us because they have no physical presence in our geography. (There are similar areas with no Costco, too, to be fair) So Costco is my go-to for tires now for years.
Same with me, no Discount Tire anywhere near me, but Costco is nearby.

Chose whatever place is near you. If you're really lucky you'll have both.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had some vibration at speeds above 70MPH and was in need of a rotation. The Costco by me (Wayne, NJ) did it under an hour and charged me $32. I typically do my own rotations at home, but balancing is beyond my capabilities. Vibration gone.

Two side notes:

1) Always mark your tires to ensure the rotation is done correctly. I use a Paint Marker to identify each wheel prior to the rotation. More than once I've had them performed incorrectly, even at a Subaru Dealership.

2) Check the torque of the lug nuts. Most of the time they are way over-torqued because of the impact guns the mechanics use

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
1) Always mark your tires to ensure the rotation is done correctly. I use a Paint Marker to identify each wheel prior to the rotation. More than once I've had them performed incorrectly, even at a Subaru Dealership.

2) Check the torque of the lug nuts. Most of the time they are way over-torqued because of the impact guns the mechanics use
I always mark my tires even though I do my own rotations. I do it discreetly though.
Why do shops always either undertaken or over tighten? It’s probably a case of a few bad apples spoiling the whole bunch but I’ve had enough bad experience with lugnuts to check them after every service visit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
because they are either too rushed or too lazy to do it properly. And they wont be there on the side of the road in the rain helping you remove and replace a flat tire so they likely just don’t care...that is one of my pet peeves!
They also assume that more can't hurt and keep using their air guns at 150lb-ft. For most of my life I assumed "as tight as you can get it" is fine. I was schooled on the outback forums by a former aircraft mechanic while researching the sway bar upgrade for my '12 OB. I bought my first torque wrench shortly thereafter. I now have 3!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought tires for another car and got free tire rotations every 5K miles at a local retailer. So I go in on a lunch break one day and eat in the waiting area while they are working on my car. ( I worked at a auto repair shop doing billing, meet & greet so I knew the drill.) Guy comes in the waiting area and asks me to come outside because he "wants to show me something". I go out and look. He asks me who took the tire off last, because the stud nut was cross threaded on and they had to work to get it off breaking the stud. I told them that they had touched my wheels and stud nuts last. He says I will have to come back another time so they can replace the stud. I said, "NO, you will replace it while I wait, I'm not leaving with only 4 lug nuts on one wheel." "But we will have to call out to get one delivered." I said that was fine and I would wait. So I left with all the appropriate lug nuts in the correct places on each wheel. The only way a stud nut gets cross threaded is by not installing it with fingers so you can feel the threads. Learned that back in the day while working maintenance in the USAF. A lot dealership/repair shop monkeys get too excited using air tools. Rookies.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I bought tires for another car and got free tire rotations every 5K miles at a local retailer. So I go in on a lunch break one day and eat in the waiting area while they are working on my car. ( I worked at a auto repair shop doing billing, meet & greet so I knew the drill.) Guy comes in the waiting area and asks me to come outside because he "wants to show me something". I go out and look. He asks me who took the tire off last, because the stud nut was cross threaded on and they had to work to get it off breaking the stud. I told them that they had touched my wheels and stud nuts last. He says I will have to come back another time so they can replace the stud. I said, "NO, you will replace it while I wait, I'm not leaving with only 4 lug nuts on one wheel." "But we will have to call out to get one delivered." I said that was fine and I would wait. So I left with all the appropriate lug nuts in the correct places on each wheel. The only way a stud nut gets cross threaded is by not installing it with fingers so you can feel the threads. Learned that back in the day while working maintenance in the USAF. A lot dealership/repair shop monkeys get too excited using air tools. Rookies.
I am happy to read you drew the line on this one. Very dangerous dealership proposal. If necessary I would have required them to have one of their staff drive over to pick up the part. That takes some nerve to mess up a critical installation and then have the customer take a risk driving around town.

Can I assume this was NOT a Subaru dealership?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.