Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a trade of our 2020 premium in CBS with a 2022 Onyx in MGM, but dislike how easily the CBS scratches (soft clear coat? not something I've seen in previous black cars we've owned).

I think we all know that darker cards show dirt, scratches, and imperfections more than lighter colors (and white is a possibility, but much lower down than MGM) but I'm looking for real world experiences with the Ascent. Has anyone owned both a CBS and MGM and can comment if the MGM hides these things any better?

If not, can some MGM owners comment on how well the grey does at hiding dirt, scratches, misc. imperfections, etc.? Or are we looking at the same results as with our CBS?

Thanks in advance all, Cheers!

·
Registered
372 Posts
As far as paint durability, it's going to be the same with CBS vs MGM - there's no variation of the paint "hardness" to my knowledge. I have MGM, and have owned both black and white cars prior to our MGM Ascent. MGM, without a doubt hides minor surface imperfections (minor swirls, light scratches, even small paint chips) and dirt WAY better than black or white. White tricks people into thinking it's a low maintenance color, but it's not; it can look dirty incredibly easily. The thinnest layer of dust or pollen becomes pretty noticeable, especially if you add in any moisture - much like black.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No problem, @freshintulsa! Your question about soft clear coat... Soft clear coat/paint is definitely a contributor. I've found that issue more prevalent in the Japanese cars I've owned (Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti) since my wife's '05 G35 Coupe. That car was black and the front-end had so many rock chip you'd think we used it as an off-road vehicle... That was also the last car we owned without clear bra on the front-end! haha

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
32 Posts
My outback was crystal black with a ceramic coat. I took meticulous care of the paint, yet it still showed EVERYTHING. I have MGM now and it's much easier to care for.

Reactions: freshintulsa

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,261 Posts
Dark colors are always the worst for "clean"..."dirt" dries to a lighter color in most places.

Reactions: thegeeknme

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
801 Posts
Having owned/own numerous silver, black and white vehicles....black is the worst to keep looking nice. Black looks good when it's shiney, but that shine requires maintenance. It doesnt hide scratches very well either.

White hides scratches well and looks good with a simple wash. Silver does as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a MGM Outback and a Black Outback. The MGM was better at concealing some of the dirt, minor scratches and swirls. My wife just bought me a power washer from Lowes for 350.00 and that takes care of all the dust that seems to accumulate from regular road driving as well as off-roading. I picked up the Soap bottle that attaches to the end of the wand and car wash soap at Lowes is any where from $7.00 to $19.99 na gallon. All problems solved. Finish off the power wash with some Meguiar's Ultimate Insane Shine Protectant Spray and it looks almost show room clean.:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Considering a trade of our 2020 premium in CBS with a 2022 Onyx in MGM, but dislike how easily the CBS scratches (soft clear coat? not something I've seen in previous black cars we've owned).

I think we all know that darker cards show dirt, scratches, and imperfections more than lighter colors (and white is a possibility, but much lower down than MGM) but I'm looking for real world experiences with the Ascent. Has anyone owned both a CBS and MGM and can comment if the MGM hides these things any better?

If not, can some MGM owners comment on how well the grey does at hiding dirt, scratches, misc. imperfections, etc.? Or are we looking at the same results as with our CBS?

Thanks in advance all, Cheers!
I just purchased a 2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx Edition in MGM. After trading in a Black Honda Pilot. I really think it does show dirt and scratches less than Black. The metallic also helps conceal a bit as well. Personal Taste, but I think the MGM gives a nicer contrast with the Onyx trimming. We went with the MGM after coming into the dealer looking for CBS and saw both colors.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Not sure this is anything new from the above comments, however IMHO, magnetite gray is a very nice color that hides a lot of imperfections, dust, buffing swirl marks, and rain spots ... I had a crystal black 2017 OB Touring and everything showed. Also the MGM is a better compliment to the dark gray body cladding that is the CBM. I love our MGM 2021 touring, and feel it can be 'worn' with or without a chrome delete/black out look. I went with a chrome delete look and it looks rugged and ready for whatever comes its way ... this said, the chromed up Touring with the MGM is very stylish and classy, so it's sort of to each his/her own. Last point ... MGM has enough highlights and lowlights to really accentuate the body lines which CBM hides in its dark tone. Bottom line I am very happy that I picked gray over black or white.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!
Pulled the trigger today and ordered the onyx in MGM. Due end of march!

Saturday we also ordered an outback wilderness in geyser blue, this spring we’re gonna be an All new Subaru family! My daily driver is an 01 outback that is rusting away… I’m used to driving old cars, this is gonna be exciting for sure!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Pulled the trigger today and ordered the onyx in MGM. Due end of march!

Saturday we also ordered an outback wilderness in geyser blue, this spring we’re gonna be an All new Subaru family! My daily driver is an 01 outback that is rusting away… I’m used to driving old cars, this is gonna be exciting for sure!
Happy for you guys! You’re set for another 20 years!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations on ordering your MGM. I'll add my positive comments for liking the MGM color and appearance. We currently have a 2020 Ascent and a 2019 'trek both in MGM. They hide the need to be washed longer than the Metallic Silver we had prior. Our daughter has a white Impreza and whew, it shows dirt easily.

Reactions: freshintulsa

·
Premium Member
2022 Ascent Touring, 7 Passenger - AWD
34 Posts
I am so happy today for two reasons.
1. I got news from my sales person that the Ascent 2022 Touring is arriving next week.
2. The color is MGM, great to hear the positives in this forum about the color.
Cant wait to see her in person.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts