Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following items going on with my car:

1. I've noticed the hood wobble at highway speeds a few times.
  2. The rubber seal on the windshield cowl has come loose and rattles around in the wind. Somehow, I think these 2 items are related. Air getting under hood rather than over causing these 2 items.
  3. I have a squeak/rattle from the gear selector area. Seams like the drivetrain moving around while turning, etc causes this sound.
I scheduled the appt for Wednesday and as I typed this, got a call back from the service advisor about the issues I'm having with the car. He basically said the hood wobble is normal and "part of the crumple zones" and "they don't make them like they used to". Kudos for calling to follow up prior to bringing the car in...then you threw it in the toilet with those 2 lines.

I'll keep you guys posted!!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I scheduled the appt for Wednesday and as I typed this, got a call back from the service advisor about the issues I'm having with the car. He basically said the hood wobble is normal and "part of the crumple zones" and "they don't make them like they used to".
Please advise the service advisor and Service Manager of the TSB and refer them to the TSB that tells them how to fix the hood wobble.

TSB 12-281-20 Hood Panel Vibration

·
Registered
71 Posts
Omg is there a fix to the hood wobble?!?! I feel like mine is going to blow off one day, especially when cross winds come in. On the way to Vegas one day doing too high of speeds to mention here through the desert a 18 wheeler passed me going the opposite direction and legit looked like the hood was coming off. Even doing normal highway speeds the thing moves around like crazy and my wife is afraid it's going to open. :oops:

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Omg is there a fix to the hood wobble?!?! I feel like mine is going to blow off one day, especially when cross winds come in. On the way to Vegas one day doing too high of speeds to mention here through the desert a 18 wheeler passed me going the opposite direction and legit looked like the hood was coming off. Even doing normal highway speeds the thing moves around like crazy and my wife is afraid it's going to open. :oops:
Yep, but, I wouldn't bother rushing. I still haven't gotten mine done, and it's been like this for over 65,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Omg is there a fix to the hood wobble?!?!
Yup...been discussed a lot in the relevant forum areas as well as places like the link Robert posted above. It's an adhesive issue.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Wow, the grill shutter. It's not a Gen 5 Outback.

In their defense, I specialize on one car with one generation (and they deal with decades of every model), but I wish they'd be more proactive in using Subarunet to check on these things.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i just got home. They ordered the cowl panel as well as whatever part was causing a squeak/groan from the gear selector area. Once I educated the advisor on the TSB (Thanks for posting that Rob) he actually admitted to learning something new AND they had the parts in stock. So, when the ordered parts come in, i have to go back to get all 3 things done.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Parts are in and I dropped off the car for service. They gave me a Crosstrek as a loaner...cool little car.

Has anyone had the TSB for the hood done that can send photos, etc. so that I can verify it actually got done?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
'Not sure how visible the fix will be if they do a neat job...it's adhesive squirted into the places that it apparently wasn't or failed to hold, AFAIK. If your hood skin isn't doing the hula as you drive at speed, you should be good to go. :)

Reactions: latapx and xydadx3

·
Super Moderator
2,450 Posts
Has anyone had the TSB for the hood done that can send photos, etc. so that I can verify it actually got done?
basically what @Jim_in_PA said. If you had the hood wobble repaired the results speak for themselves; the hood no longer wobbles. The repaired areas will be behind the insulation and intake stuff mounted to the hood so it wouldn’t be easy to see the worked area.

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
Robert posted some images in the other thread that show what gets done, but xydadx3 is correct that the work isn't going to be all that visible from below once things are put back together. I forgot about that part. (and fortunately didn't have the issue to require the work)

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Some you can peek in and check without pulling anything, but, what those others said above... it simply won't vibrate anymore. ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They already called me at 5PM that it was ready...I left it at 8am. Its supposed to have 24 hours to cure. I told them I'd pick it up in the morning after my 8am meeting. Hopefully all is fixed and well.

On the other hand, they gave me a 2020 Crosstrek Limited in Cool-Grey Khaki. This vehicle repair may cost me having to purchase a Crosstrek for my 19 year old daughter. Most expensive warranty repair of my life!!! lol

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Please advise the service advisor and Service Manager of the TSB and refer them to the TSB that tells them how to fix the hood wobble.

TSB 12-281-20 Hood Panel Vibration
there should not be these variations in service advisor knowledge between dealers. this can become a serious issue of quality control and reputation. it sounds like some just asked around instead of completing any real research. How can SOA improve these experiences across all dealerships?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
There will always be variations of knowledge, due to familiarity with certain vehicles over others. This happens in every industry, including medical, computer programming, auto repair and so many more.

Should that be how things work? Probably not. But, memory, retention, and allocating learning time, will vary per person, and per region. For instance, I'd be far more Outback centered in Vermont than some other areas, because of the high prevalence of them everywhere. There's a ton of Crosstreks here on Long Island.

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
The training is always available...but that doesn't mean some folks actually learn anything. That's true anywhere in life including with folks in dealer service departments. There's also the "luck of the draw" relative to what service writer and what technician you get for your work. Even in the same dealership there sometimes is some inconsistency. There's one service writer I try to avoid at my local dealer simply because he's, um...abrasive...although some of that is certaining coming from my resistance to overpaying for services I don't want/need. ;) The other folks are fine...they just say, "that's fine, we can do it that way instead"

Reactions: latapx
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.