Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The luggage area cover we used for the first time, installing it in for a trip. First of all it is very cheaply made. Second it is too low so you cannot put much below it. Third it runs into the rear seat belts. And to top it off if you do not pull it from the middle it pulls out and the end hrd plastic puts a nice scratch in the side plastic panels. Are we installing it wrong? Anyone else notice these issues?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The luggage area cover we used for the first time, installing it in for a trip. First of all it is very cheaply made. Second it is too low so you cannot put much below it. Third it runs into the rear seat belts. And to top it off if you do not pull it from the middle it pulls out and the end hrd plastic puts a nice scratch in the side plastic panels. Are we installing it wrong? Anyone else notice these issues?
Can you post pics? I use mine regularly without issue (other than needing to confirm I've put the retainers into the slides in the side panel).

·
Registered
775 Posts
None of these things are very well made on any car, having had Toyotas, Volvos, Honda, & Saabs. Only my Mercedes had a high quality cargo cover ( for the price it had better). That thing was as sturdy as a baseball bat.
But I haven't had any issues with the Subaru cover. And the nice thing is the built-in storage area behind the rear seats for the cover so you don't have to shove it somewhere when you're going to pack the car too full and you forgot to leave at home. That was truly a smart engineering / design move.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Both ends of the frame retract and lock for storage under the rear cargo area.

Do you have both sides fully open? There is a latch you press to extend the frame on each side.

It sounds like you may have only one side fully extended. That would cause it to fit loosely into the side recesses and make it off center and snag the rear seat belts. There are clips to hold the belts against the sides when not in use.

I open and close my cover all the time and it's never given me a problem, it has about 5 inches of clearance from the rear seat belts on each side.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 4 of 4 Posts