Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Hi,

I sit possible to use our own LTE data SIM for car wifi rather than Starlink one?

Thanks
GAurav
Alas, no. To activate data (as well as the wifi hotspot feature) requires getting an AT&T subscription, or doing an add-on, if you are already an AT&T customer.

Current price is $20/month for new customers, or $10/month for most existing AT&T customers. "Unlimited" data is throttled at 22GB a month.

(edited to clarify... 22GB, throttled after that)

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
@Robert.Mauro Capped or throttled? I'm not a fan of an "Unlimited" plan that only has 20GB to offer. Seems misleading!
Apologies... 22GB (not 20GB) - but yeah, that's a sucky number. And, it's throttled, not capped.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok thanks for that. I'm ok if it's throttled. I'll likely never hit that anyways, but it's good to know I'll at least be able to stay connected just in case. I am planning a cross-country trip, so the data needs to keep flowing!

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Ok thanks for that. I'm ok if it's throttled. I'll likely never hit that anyways, but it's good to know I'll at least be able to stay connected just in case. I am planning a cross-country trip, so the data needs to keep flowing!
My phone is T-Mobile. I like that with both (AT&T via the car, T-Mobile natively), I rarely ever run into situations where I don't have coverage (just in a few of the rural "Verizon only" areas or the rural "no one at all" areas). Especially beneficial since I have WiFi Calling on the phone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone know where the sim card for the wifi is located, would be nice to just slide one of the Google Project Fi sims in and see what happens. Fi offers a free sim for data share, I have it on my wife's acct as she never gets close to using her monthly data. Fi uses T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular for coverage.

Stu

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I purchased one of those "Tile" trackers. Put it on my key ring and turned on blue tooth on my phone. The first two weeks I had it active, I used 21 GB of data on my phone plan. Ouch. Never really thought about it consuming all that data. Good thing I have "free" unlimited talk, text, data with Sprint.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anyone know where the sim card for the wifi is located, would be nice to just slide one of the Google Project Fi sims in and see what happens. Fi offers a free sim for data share, I have it on my wife's acct as she never gets close to using her monthly data. Fi uses T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular for coverage.

Stu
There is a good chance they're using an embedded or eSIM, so not possible to pop in a Fi data only. Even if they are using a physical SIM it is likely buried in a module, possibly under a screen can. Besides if you could swap them it would mess up Starlink if you're using it.

I use Fi also and love it, the data only SIM option is nice too, but remember the Data only SIM only uses TMobile, not Sprint or US Cellular. You can always throw it in an old phone and turn on the mobile hotspot and you accomplish the same general end result you're looking for. But with Fi there isn't monthly data, you pay for what you use (unless you hit there bill protection amount), they don't even prepay and credit anymore.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I purchased one of those "Tile" trackers. Put it on my key ring and turned on blue tooth on my phone. The first two weeks I had it active, I used 21 GB of data on my phone plan. Ouch. Never really thought about it consuming all that data. Good thing I have "free" unlimited talk, text, data with Sprint.
We use Tiles on and off and with Fi we pay attention to our data usage and never noticed a spike like that. Maybe something weird was going on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.