Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Need to replace the OEMs on our touring and we're about to start towing a trailer. Should I be looking at LT tires vs passenger? Searched around the forums but didn't really find anything. I'll send a note with our trailer specs so they can be added to the list! 馃檪馃檪

Thanks!

Super Moderator
Hello everyone! Need to replace the OEMs on our touring and we're about to start towing a trailer. Should I be looking at LT tires vs passenger? Searched around the forums but didn't really find anything. I'll send a note with our trailer specs so they can be added to the list! 馃檪馃檪

Thanks!
Doesn't matter. I've towed with both. Just pick something that meets the load rating and, if you want, pick something with decent sidewalls.

Registered
2020 CWP Touring
I would use P-metric tires. The inflation recommendations from Subaru are based on the use of a P-metric tire. LT tires require different inflation pressure to support the tire. It's not that they're better or worse -- they're just intended for a different application. Your tire dealer will likely recommend the same.

Super Moderator
I would use P-metric tires. The inflation recommendations from Subaru are based on the use of a P-metric tire. LT tires require different inflation pressure to support the tire. It's not that they're better or worse -- they're just intended for a different application. Your tire dealer will likely recommend the same.
Oh, wow, I should have mentioned that.

Yes, @salazar.r1, if you choose light truck tires (such as what I am running), I strongly suggest you discuss the proper inflation with the tire manufacturer. For instance, my BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 LT's require 42.5 psi to carry the Ascent's GAWR-R (3,296 pounds). My previous, exact same size Kumho Road Venture AT51's required about 37 psi.
(remember, I run 17" all terrain tires, so, they require a little more pressure for proper ride - don't use my tire psi except for the same setup)

And another thing to keep in mind are that most LT tires are considerably heavier. That will eat gas mileage, affect performance, and add rotational inertia, regardless of tread type.

In my case, I wanted extremely strong sidewalls for my off-road adventures... 99.9% of Ascent owners don't need to be concerned about that - no one should do what I do to my Ascent to theirs. :ROFLMAO: ;)
(no, seriously)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts