Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first post here hoping for some help. researched through all the tire threads but still confused. I'm getting a lp lift done but haven't settled on rims and tires. Their website shows the KMC 18" and ko2 265/60r18. my dealer says these are too big and will rub, anyone have any first hand experience? they said I would have to go to a 17" in the ko2. thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
From what I understand, they will rub. I am running 17 inch rims, and will be getting ko2 that match 20 in Tire circumference. The size to look for in 17 in is 245/65R17.

Be aware of two major things, first of which is that many rims are not load rated high enough to carry the ascent. The second thing is that almost no 17 inch rim fits over our front calipers. In total, we only found three rims that were suitable, and we looked at over two dozen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. what three rims were the 17" specifically that worked? I believe they wanted to use an Enkei they used before.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
thanks. what three rims were the 17" specifically that worked? I believe they wanted to use an Enkei they used before.
Some of the newest Enkei rims are load rated well enough. Most 17" for previous years were not. None designed for the STI or WRX are (and I have that directly from Enkei).

FIT AND LOAD RATED HIGH ENOUGH :
  • Liquid Metal Shadow 17x7.5 5/114.3 40+10mm
  • TSW Sebring 17x8 40OFF (tested by @FourMoBro)
  • Method MR502

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks. is there anybody here that has the 265/60r18 on an ascent with an LP lift that can comment on the rub? is it just barely at full lock turn or much more noticeable? would gain an extra inch in overall height and a fuller looking wheel/tire with the lift. thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what I understand, they will rub. I am running 17 inch rims, and will be getting ko2 that match 20 in Tire circumference. The size to look for in 17 in is 245/65R17.

Be aware of two major things, first of which is that many rims are not load rated high enough to carry the ascent. The second thing is that almost no 17 inch rim fits over our front calipers. In total, we only found three rims that were suitable, and we looked at over two dozen.
I think a lot of KMCs people are running are not correctly load rated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see the LP listed kmc708 are rated for 1650. I want to go with 18" and the ko2 265/60r18 some how and am willing to deal with a little rub at full lock. any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
I think a lot of KMCs people are running are not correctly load rated.
Yep, and the same applies to various STI BBS rims that Enkei (the manufacturer) says to absolutely not use on an Ascent.
I see the LP listed kmc708 are rated for 1650. I want to go with 18" and the ko2 265/60r18 some how and am willing to deal with a little rub at full lock. any other suggestions?
As @Discount Tire mentions in their threads/comments, bare minimum is 1,648 (so, that KMC technically works).

I actually was arguing it out with RWC in Canada, because they used the wrong figure to come up with bare minimum (they used GVWR). The 1,500 pounds they came up with is a far cry from the 1,648 pounds actual rating lower limit.

For those wondering, I use GAWR-R, because it's the highest wheel/axle load. That's 3,296 pounds on the axle, or, 1,648 pounds on each wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
first post here hoping for some help. researched through all the tire threads but still confused. I'm getting a lp lift done but haven't settled on rims and tires. Their website shows the KMC 18" and ko2 265/60r18. my dealer says these are too big and will rub, anyone have any first hand experience? they said I would have to go to a 17" in the ko2. thanks for any advice.
hi turner. I have a 1.25” primitive spring lift. I ran 265/60r18 with the kmc708 before and after the lift. I think it looks WAY better. The low offset is nice. I’ve never rubbed once with on road and soft off roading.
You’re right it’s a 1” diameter increase and adds Ana extra 0.5” lift. Very noticeable. Just switched to winter tires 235/65r18 with 30” size on the OEM rims. I got so used to the nice beefy AT tires the winter setup is boring.
I went with the multimile wild country xtx. I think they look sharp. Never heard anyone mention them.
also side note the primitive spring lift feels awesome. Better then a straight block lift. I have the 2” LP on my 2014 outback with the KO2s.The ascent crushes the OB in every way :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi turner. I have a 1.25” primitive spring lift. I ran 265/60r18 with the kmc708 before and after the lift. I think it looks WAY better. The low offset is nice. I’ve never rubbed once with on road and soft off roading.
You’re right it’s a 1” diameter increase and adds Ana extra 0.5” lift. Very noticeable. Just switched to winter tires 235/65r18 with 30” size on the OEM rims. I got so used to the nice beefy AT tires the winter setup is boring.
I went with the multimile wild country xtx. I think they look sharp. Never heard anyone mention them.
also side note the primitive spring lift feels awesome. Better then a straight block lift. I have the 2” LP on my 2014 outback with the KO2s.The ascent crushes the OB in every way :)
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S are quite popular with the Forester crowd and don't get any mention here. I love them on our Forester. Amazingly little extra road noise.

What are the ride differences with the Primitive lift? Do you do any towing? If so what effect did it have? I assume cornering improved quite a bit. I'm looking at it because the Metal Cloak lift we put them on my oldest kid's Wrangler made me a big progressive rate spring fan.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S are quite popular with the Forester crowd and don't get any mention here. I love them on our Forester.
Sadly, neither stock size (18" or 20") is available. Matching circumference/width 17" is available (245/65R17).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S are quite popular with the Forester crowd and don't get any mention here. I love them on our Forester. Amazingly little extra road noise.

What are the ride differences with the Primitive lift? Do you do any towing? If so what effect did it have? I assume cornering improved quite a bit. I'm looking at it because the Metal Cloak lift we put them on my oldest kid's Wrangler made me a big progressive rate spring fan.
Yeah it feels stiffer all around. Less nose dive on steep decline. Cornering is tight. I do plan to tow more. I have a utility trailer I’m custom outfitting as a toy hauler and camper. As of yet it’s not a heavy load but zero rear ended squat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you guys with taller tires somehow recalibrate the odo and speedo's?
Not going to mess around with that. There are charts available online that give the difference when changing diameter. I think it’s 1.5% with my setup. Eyesight also has no issues. I’m slightly more concerned with the added stress in the CVT but in my research haven’t read any stories of the OB/Fozzy crowd saying it caused issues. Go low offset as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you guys with taller tires somehow recalibrate the odo and speedo's?
Put bigger tires on the Forester. As mentioned there are charts that tell you the speed difference. I just used WAZE and went by the mph it was registering and now know how to compensate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sadly, neither stock size (18" or 20") is available. Matching circumference/width 17" is available (245/65R17).

Some of us aren't very concerned about that. :cool:

The Falken Wild Peak AT for CUVs hadn't come out at the point I put the Coopers on. I have no idea if they've gained traction(no pun intended) with the Forester crowd. I Put Falken Wild Peak A/T3Ws on the kid's Wrangler before Jeep switched to Wild Peaks as OEMs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts