Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potential problem or awesome solution?

Hi all,

Wondering what info I can gather about some crossroads ahead with my Ascent Touring. I really want to purchase the LP adventure 2" lift kit. I have a RTT that I will most likely be selling to purchase a small under 3K LB travel trailer, or pop up. My question is, "will a 2" lift be a counter intuitive move if I plan on towing a trailer?" Will the Ascent Tow easier if its closer to the (factory) stock height? I'm thinking the stock center of gravity could be more efficient, that is probably why they built it the way they did. I have no idea but figured someone here might be able to shed some light here. Can you put some BFG All Terrains on the stock 20" maybe that are slightly bigger than the stock soccer mom tires? Thanks!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere on here many moons ago that one of the LP adventure kit people are also towing with it.

If things work out this summer, then I'll have a 2" lift and will continue to tow my 4,500lb race car/trailer combo.

As long as you offset the lift with a 2" bigger drop hitch everything should be fine.

And YES on the bigger tires. There's already some room for bigger tires even at stock height. Check on Discount Tire's site and they'll show you what will fit. Try out the different sizes and see which size offers the best AT tires. I got the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 255/55R18 size which is 0.4" taller than stock.

Once lifted, I think the biggest issue will be front-back clearance so again you could work with Discount Tire to see how big you can go!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere on here many moons ago that one of the LP adventure kit people are also towing with it.

If things work out this summer, then I'll have a 2" lift and will continue to tow my 4,500lb race car/trailer combo.

As long as you offset the lift with a 2" bigger drop hitch everything should be fine.

And YES on the bigger tires. There's already some room for bigger tires even at stock height. Check on Discount Tire's site and they'll show you what will fit. Try out the different sizes and see which size offers the best AT tires. I got the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 255/55R18 size which is 0.4" taller than stock.

Once lifted, I think the biggest issue will be front-back clearance so again you could work with Discount Tire to see how big you can go!
Awesome, Thanks Kevin! Let me know how towing that close to the max cap works with the 2" lift....unless I beat you to it, haha. Cheers

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Doesn't Robert Mauro have a lift kit installed? He tows quite a bit from all the videos I've watched. :)
Yes, but it's only a 1" lift, meaning no sub-frame spacers and no links.

I am not sure how adding such spacers for a 2" lift impacts towing.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
So maybe only a 1" lift would be a compromise for having for a tow set up, and wanting a more aggressive stance?
I got the lift because I off road a lot. I can't guarantee it's a good idea for towing, but I am more comfortable on a 1" than I would be trying to tow the 4,395 GVWR trailer I tow on sub frame spacers.

In my case, my tires and rim size add to the more aggressive look.

I'm curious what LP or Primitive or Anderson suggests.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm curious what LP or Primitive or Anderson suggests.
Oh duh.... I forgot I emailed LP a while ago and asked. Here is their reply:

Hi kevin,

Thank you for reaching our team.

Our lift kti for the Ascent is 2''.
You can insert the 255/55R18 or 265/60R18 All Terrain tires using a 18x9.5 +38mm wheel.

Lift kits are on sell here :
LP Aventure lift kit - Subaru Ascent 2019-2020

And your towing capacity will remain the same.

Best regards,

LP Aventure Team
Phone: 450-409-1344

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally I have the Eibach 1.7” springs and love it! I also upgraded the tires on stock 20” to the Falken Wildpeak. The springs give you a solid feel without feeling like I’ve overextended the stock struts. Again, my personal preference. I have a Tacoma to tow a PWC, but may get the tow package for the Touring for longer trips away from home with family.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally I have the Eibach 1.7” springs and love it! I also upgraded the tires on stock 20” to the Falken Wildpeak. The springs give you a solid feel without feeling like I’ve overextended the stock struts. Again, my personal preference. I have a Tacoma to tow a PWC, but may get the tow package for the Touring for longer trips away from home with family.
Nice! got any pics so I can take a gander? Great to hear there are options.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.