Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. New to the forum.

I have seen discussion on Forester forums of this subject. Perhaps the Ascent is still too new to attract this interest.

My interest is in lowering the front seats to achieve more headroom. Enterprising Forester owners are swapping in Impreza/WRX seat base mounts to give themselves about 2" more headroom.

Has anyone tried this with the Ascent?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I suggest that you sit in an Ascent first. I'm 5'10" and have a ridiculous amount of room over my head the driver's seat height adjustment easily accommodates someone 5' to someone 6.5' tall.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggest that you sit in an Ascent first. I'm 5'10" and have a ridiculous amount of room over my head the driver's seat height adjustment easily accommodates someone 5' to someone 6.5' tall.
Thanks for the rapid reply. You made two erroneous assumptions in your reply: that I had not already tried out the Ascent, and that I fell into the physical demographic you cited.

1. I currently own a 2021 Ascent and sat in and drove Premium, Limited and Touring trims prior to purchase.
2. As I am a foot taller than you are, I don't have a ridiculous amount of headroom.

A Premium Ascent without moonroof was my favorite (more headroom), a Limited with the moonroof (less headroom) was the wife's. She won.

I could envision removing the seats and cutting out a section of the legs, then welding the pieces back together, but I'd prefer a bolt-on (reversible for re-sale) solution similar to what the Forester crowd came up with.

Looking forward to some constructive discussion.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Yes, that should have been posed as a question, sorry. Since the Ascent seats are different than every other Subaru model, yes, you'd probably need to cut and weld a custom solution. I'd have provided you links to posts on the topic with solutions, but, as you'd find using the search tool, no one has found such a solution. Sorry I can't be of more help with that, but that's been the result.

There's one other thing you may want to consider before cutting and welding, which is an aftermarket solution from Recaro or similar. I've yet to see an Ascent solution (otherwise I'd have pointed you there), but that doesn't mean one of them won't have replacement brackets that may be able to be adapted to fit.

Hope that helps.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Which trim did you decide on, and does it have the Harman Kardon amplifier or Rockford Fosgate amp? That may limit your options if you look for matching aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which trim did you decide on, and does it have the Harman Kardon amplifier or Rockford Fosgate amp? That may limit your options if you look for matching aftermarket seats.
Yes, that should have been posed as a question, sorry. Since the Ascent seats are different than every other Subaru model, yes, you'd probably need to cut and weld a custom solution. I'd have provided you links to posts on the topic with solutions, but, as you'd find using the search tool, no one has found such a solution. Sorry I can't be of more help with that, but that's been the result.

There's one other thing you may want to consider before cutting and welding, which is an aftermarket solution from Recaro or similar. I've yet to see an Ascent solution (otherwise I'd have pointed you there), but that doesn't mean one of them won't have replacement brackets that may be able to be adapted to fit.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I will check into that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Limited trim with 7 seat sport package, and 2a options pack. Harmon Kardon amp is under the passenger seat but it sits below the rail platforms, should not be an issue.

More of a concern are what appear to be vent or heater outlets under the drivers seat coming up from the floor, pointing backwards. I'll post a pic later on.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Ok, so, same underside as me, minus a wire hookup being dead.

My only concern with the amps are ventilation. Like you said, they sit low. But I could imagine that with your height, you've got leg space needs that match. Not sure of the clearance with the seat both back and an extra few inches down. Probably not an issue, but I figured I'd mention it so you can keep an eye out. The early HK amp has had a few (pretty limited) issues with heat.

I'm also wondering how much of it is the rails, and how much is the 10 way adjustable frame.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I had an idea...

I'd see if you can find different mounts for the rails. I think that may solve your problem.

I'm not sure if the 2nd row vents will get in the way, but, you can probably easily reroute them to little floor vent outlets mounted in bottom back of the seat, or to the floor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so, same underside as me, minus a wire hookup being dead.

My only concern with the amps are ventilation. Like you said, they sit low. But I could imagine that with your height, you've got leg space needs that match. Not sure of the clearance with the seat both back and an extra few inches down. Probably not an issue, but I figured I'd mention it so you can keep an eye out. The early HK amp has had a few (pretty limited) issues with heat.

I'm also wondering how much of it is the rails, and how much is the 10 way adjustable frame.
After some initial research, it would appear that the old days/old ways of being able to exchange seat tracks between models are gone. Here is a drawing of the Ascent seat base/adjuster from the Subaru catalog. It is all one unit. Note the tall "legs". Cut and weld would seem to be the only option.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Agreed, it is odd. You would have to drill these out and replace them with something low profile on the top, if you replaced the legs/"stands".

Alas, those are the problems others ran into as well. 😢

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed, it is odd. You would have to drill these out and replace them with something low profile on the top, if you replaced the legs/"stands".

Alas, those are the problems others ran into as well. 😢
I'd like to see the bottoms of those rails to determine if the connectors are threaded on the bottom or just a rivet.
Time to break out the colonoscopy camera. :unsure:

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
It feels flat like the top. Let me know if you can't get the pic and I'll try tomorrow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It feels flat like the top. Let me know if you can't get the pic and I'll try tomorrow.
Sounds like it is riveted, then. I like the pre-2018 seat designs better from a modding perspective.

The newer ones are far more comfortable, though.
Buying two new seat bases is a bit expensive ($830 for both) now. Perhaps the cost from Subaru will decline in the future, or I might find some from salvage.
Or maybe I should just lower myself. 🙃
Thanks for the information.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Joe, try some of the known online dealer operations for lower parts pricing... That isn't chump change for sure, but if lowering is necessary for you to be comfortable, given your stature, maybe you can get lucky to shave a few shekels off with some shopping efforts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The structural integrity of the seat was designed in accordance with the overall functionality of the vehicle safety. Changing the seat height/mounting MAY severely compromise passenger safety in an accident.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This guy is 6-10 lol
Lowering the seat isn’t going to hurt his safety. If anything airbag hitting him 1-2” lower might save his life in a crash

·
Registered
41 Posts
This guy is 6-10 lol
Lowering the seat isn’t going to hurt his safety. If anything airbag hitting him 1-2” lower might save his life in a crash
I should have been more clear. You are most surely correct, the airbag works for a 6’ person as well as a 5’2’’ person. However, the potential problem falls with the modification to the frame and the way it’s attached to the body. Rookie cobbling up the frame or professional fabricating a frame with equivalent material properties. Mounting points altered? Mounting hardware? Of course if there is no accident it really doesn’t matter. BTW, I have 45 years experience in aerospace engineering, design and manufacturing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I should have been more clear. You are most surely correct, the airbag works for a 6’ person as well as a 5’2’’ person. However, the potential problem falls with the modification to the frame and the way it’s attached to the body. Rookie cobbling up the frame or professional fabricating a frame with equivalent material properties. Mounting points altered? Mounting hardware? Of course if there is no accident it really doesn’t matter. BTW, I have 45 years experience in aerospace engineering, design and manufacturing.
don’t disagree there at all. Better be done by someone who knows what they are doing. 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.