Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this work done on Tuesday morning (7/7). When I picked up the car, I had a strong gasoline smell in the car which I hoped would be short-term. Since then, I've driven with the windows partially open, parked in the garage with the windows open, and left the car when parked outdoors with the windows cracked.

This morning (Thursday, 7/9), I sniffed into the cracked window in the garage and still smell gasoline.

I did call the service advisor back and he assured me this would go away, but it doesn't seem like its going away very fast. While it does seem to be slightly improving, it's not really happening fast enough IMHO.

Has anyone else had this service done and had a problem with a lingering gasoline smell?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
I think someone on this forum mentioned a fuel pump seal not being seated correctly after their recall was performed. I think something like this is somewhat likely in your case, given the strong odor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
SeaRay
Take a look at this thread: Check engine light side affects

To answer your question, I had this recall performed at my dealership and found that the fuel smell was gone after a few days. I also made sure that my fuel tank was at less than half full when I brought it in but don't know if that makes a difference.

Robert Mauro
It seems that this subject is coming up at an increasing frequency and that it would be useful to Ascent Forum subscribers if the WRD20 Fuel Pump Safety Recall was added to the the set (sticky) at the top of the Ascent recall section of this forum. I would do this myself if I could.

In addition, it seems that Subaru of America might also be interested to know that a growing number of owners who have had this recall service performed on their vehicles are complaining on this forum about post service fuel odors and it might be possible that the recall repair TSB would benefit from some re-evaluation and clarification.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I had this work done on Tuesday morning (7/7). When I picked up the car, I had a strong gasoline smell in the car which I hoped would be short-term. Since then, I've driven with the windows partially open, parked in the garage with the windows open, and left the car when parked outdoors with the windows cracked.

This morning (Thursday, 7/9), I sniffed into the cracked window in the garage and still smell gasoline.

I did call the service advisor back and he assured me this would go away, but it doesn't seem like its going away very fast. While it does seem to be slightly improving, it's not really happening fast enough IMHO.

Has anyone else had this service done and had a problem with a lingering gasoline smell?
I wonder if during the recall service they accidentally soaked some sound deadening material or even carpet with gas. Maybe if you sniffed around the back you could locate the source of the fumes.

After my fuel pump recall three weeks ago, I had no gas smell whatsoever inside, which is what I would expect. I think I had just over a quarter of a tank of gas when this service was done. My Subaru service manager would not be happy if I told him the Accent smelled like gas inside and I'd be driving a loaner until they figured it out and corrected the problem.

It's not healthy to smell fumes while you are driving and your car shouldn't be sidelined while it airs out.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I ran my gas tank until the low fuel light came on. The techs appreciated it and I had no gas smells at all. For those that have not done the recall try to run as much gas out of the tank as you can when you take it in. This should result in less accidental spillage by the techs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran my gas tank until the low fuel light came on. The techs appreciated it and I had no gas smells at all. For those that have not done the recall try to run as much gas out of the tank as you can when you take it in. This should result in less accidental spillage by the techs.
They told me to have half or less fuel, which I was pretty close to. But honestly this is kind of BS, I do a lot of driving for work to locations/distances I have no control over and trying to manage fuel levels/distances for a recall maintenance item is not exactly practical for me without constantly stopping for gas. An auto shop ought to have a means of evacuating gas from a gas tank temporarily.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
They told me to have half or less fuel, which I was pretty close to. But honestly this is kind of BS, I do a lot of driving for work to locations/distances I have no control over and trying to manage fuel levels/distances for a recall maintenance item is not exactly practical for me without constantly stopping for gas. An auto shop ought to have a means of evacuating gas from a gas tank temporarily.
Never said you had to. It was not a very practical thing for me to do as well. I have empathy for the hard working folks that have to perform this task. So knowing what they are going through I chose to make it easier on them.

My point is that with the fuel level lower in the tank when the tech takes out the fuel pump from inside your car it will have less fuel dripping from it and there is less chance for spillage. But again feel free to do what you want.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but just confirming that the pump is actually in the tank and if so, how hard is it to drop the tank to get it out? Im just curious what is involved....

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but just confirming that the pump is actually in the tank and if so, how hard is it to drop the tank to get it out? Im just curious what is involved....
Not a dumb question. It is indeed in the tank. I am not sure how hard it is to drop the tank.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
I doubt the tank has to be dropped to get the fuel pump out. Nearly all modern vehicles have an access panel under a seat or floorboard, so the fuel pump can be accessed from the top. I'm nearly 100% certain this is the case for the Ascent as well.

The fuel tank is a "saddle" type that runs OVER the propeller shaft. So there are actually two "wells" in the tank and the one fuel pump basically extracts fuel from both automatically. The tank wouldn't be removable without a lot of work (removing the propeller shaft and possibly the exhaust also).

·
Registered
7 Posts

I had this work performed yesterday (7/13) on my 2019 Ascent limited. I too noticed the smell of gas within the cabin. It has gotten less snelly since yesterday as I left it with windows open In garage last night and drove with windows down today.

Also, it appears that to conduct the recall work the middle row passenger side seat must be have been removed, as when I picked up the vehicle my child’s car seat had been removed from that spot and was in the trunk (this is no big deal). I also noticed that there were greasy smears on the third row passenger side window and greasy fingerprints on the chrome trim above the second row window. I understand that this can be messy work, but I don’t think it would be too hard to wipe it down afterwards.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That’s odd that they did not clean up the car after the repair. I took my car in for the recall to Gilman North Subaru after a day at the beach. It was filthy with sand everywhere. I got it back pretty well detailed on the inside much cleaner than I ever get it. I want an excuse to take it back and get it cleaned again.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Mine went away overnight. I left window open in the garage. Since they have to pull up the back seat and floorboard to perform the service, it’s possible they didn’t seal it up properly. IF it isn’t gone in a couple of days, i’d probably be going back to visit the service department.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm guessing here but think this may depend on the quality of workmanship and the dealership. Had my recall completed 7/7 and took about 5 hours due to work backlog but wasn't a problem because I had a loaner car. Only had a very slight fuel smell but soon went away. Did notice on the repair ticket that the fuel tank was emptied before the fuel pump replacement and then the fuel was replaced afterwards, seemed like a good idea with less chance of fuel spillage. Overall a very good experience with all recalls and maintenance from Findlay Subaru, St. George Utah.
Thought some good news in the complaint department was due!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I did had my fuel pump replaced on 7/13 early in the morning. I was told the less gasoline in the tank the better so I took it on empty! Today, 7/16, my car smells a lot! I'm worried myself, which is why I'm here wondering if others are experiencing the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I doubt the tank has to be dropped to get the fuel pump out. Nearly all modern vehicles have an access panel under a seat or floorboard, so the fuel pump can be accessed from the top. I'm nearly 100% certain this is the case for the Ascent as well.

The fuel tank is a "saddle" type that runs OVER the propeller shaft. So there are actually two "wells" in the tank and the one fuel pump basically extracts fuel from both automatically. The tank wouldn't be removable without a lot of work (removing the propeller shaft and possibly the exhaust also).
They pull the back seat. There is an access panel under the passenger 2nd row seat. The pump assembly is pulled and the pump replaced.
I had a fuel smell for 5 days and I took it in with about a third of a tank.
The manager explained that the panel is open while they do the work and the cab can absorb the smell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had mine done at Autonation Subaru, formerly Valley Motors, Hunt Valley, Maryland. When I made the appointment, they asked that I bring it in with 1/2 fuel or less. Repair was fine. Strong odor of gas first day after (they said I would likely smell that), then fully dissipated after 3-5 days. Doesn't smell at all anymore. I'm satisfied. I also removed grandson's child seat from middle row passenger side, to allow techs access.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had this recall done and no fuel smell ... it actually smelled better than when I dropped it off after hauling around some muddy wet kids! The dealer (Stohlman in Tyson's Corner, VA) recommended bringing the car in with less than 1/4 tank of gas. Consistent with other posts, they said they pull the back seat out and go down into the tank through an access panel. One interesting note: when I called to make the appointment, it seemed like I got routed into some central call center that wasn't the actual dealer. They said nothing about the fuel level; I only heard about it the day before when the dealer called to confirm the appointment, and it was just dumb luck that I was almost out of gas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.