Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have 2019 Ascent Touring. I've been very happy with it for the last 2 years.

But, I got Low Pressure Fuel Pump recall done last Monday. Filled gas once and drove about 40 miles or so since. The car has been smelling of gas a bit, but I presume that was left over from the fix.

Today when I tried to start the dashboard lit-up - all systems off and warning lights on. It was unnerving. When I dropped the car, the dealer said the recall job takes a long time and then an hour later it was done. And now I am worried if it was even done properly.
Should I contact Subaru or the dealer first? Is it driveable or will it need to be towed?

Another (relatively small) concern: I used to get about 16-17mpg city when I bought the car. After the chain-slip and ECU reprogramming recall fixes, the mileage went up to 19-20mpg. After the fuel-pump recall it seems to be back down to 16-17. I understand 40miles is not a lot of driving, but having seen atrocious mileage for a while I am worried.

Any advice?

Thanks,
R

·
Registered
186 Posts
Fuel pump is a multi hour recall, they did something different in 1 hr.

·
Registered
421 Posts
@raymieb , get your battery checked. Or charge it up and see if things improve.
  • Dashboard lighting up - that can be from low voltage or a bad battery cell
  • I had a body shop do work on the car, and they probably left the rear hatch open and drained my battery; they had all sorts of problems with the car when they finished up, and had to send it to the Subaru dealership to diagnose (turned out it was a drained/damaged battery)
  • The chain/ECU service probably required them to disconnect your battery. Maybe the mpg change was indeed related to the ECU itself, but I've found that merely disconnecting the battery gives me an mpg boost for half a tank (my theory is that it resets the "learning" of my right foot habits; then when it learns my habits again, it decides that I want to accelerate quickly vs get good mpg, and so biases in that direction, which is annoying because I want mpg!)
  • Maybe low mpg can result if your battery is struggling
  • But yeah, them doing that work so quickly is very puzzling
F.S.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
114 Posts
This is what I found in when I had mine done. Here's my post.

It took two weeks with open windows for the smell to dissipate for me.

I noticed my guage wasn't reading the same as before. I brought it in again. The dealer said my replacement wasn't aligned or seated properly. Keeping an eye on it now to see if that fixed it for me.

However, I never got a bunch of warning lights come on. Possible that something isn't air tight and causing check engine light?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.
It can't be the battery - I have started the car a few times without any problem. I know about the battery drain problem and have been careful to not leave the hatch open.

I called Subaru over the weekend as the dealership was closed. They registered a case and have asked me to contact the dealership.
I contacted the dealership and they have asked me to bring in the car. I'll do that tomorrow. But they are not agreeing to providing a loaner. They say they'll check if the fault is theirs, otherwise I'll have to pay for the loaner. I am not sure if I completely follow that - they did the fuel pump recall job. I drove barely 60 miles since and the car has problems.
I am worried if they'll try to weasel out of their responsibility and not fix my car or make me pay for repairs/loaner!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
Dealers provide loaners for warranty work. Not sure why they would want you to pay period....

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
In many areas, Subaru helps dealers have on hand a small fleet of loaner vehicles...mine is one of them. The other brands they represent don't provide free loaners unless an extended service contract covers it (like Mopar's does) but at the Subaru location, loaners are available and they try hard to put you in the same model if availability makes that possible.

·
Registered
421 Posts
One more go at the battery angle, not because I'm stubborn but because low voltage can be the cause for many gremlins. And the OEM battery has some defect rate. And it could be strong enough to start the car but not be supplying enough voltage for everything in the electrical system to operate happily.

Easy check if you don't want to put a load on it: Before the first start of the day, throw a volt meter across the terminals. Or even easier, turn on to Accessory mode (foot off brake so you don't crank the starter and start the alternator spinning), hold Home and double-click the right knob (down and right from the Home button), press the second tab to see battery voltage. If it's low 11's or lower, the battery's not holding much charge.

F.S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I posted elsewhere in this forum, with this exact same issue. I'm pasting it up here:

It first happened on Memorial Day weekend. We had driven about 250 miles from home. I got in the car one day, and all the lights came on. It was late Friday. I was nowhere close to a dealer, and the national customer service line was no help at all. I called the dealer that I use for service. The service department was closed, but a salesman told me to just pull the positive cable off the battery for a few seconds, and the system would reset. I did so, and everything performed normally.

The next time it happened, I had driven about 100 miles. Again, it was late in the day. But I was not far from my home dealership. So I stopped by. They couldn't take me in. But they checked, and told me it was an “evap” problem. They cleared it so I could drive home.

I called my usual service advisor at the dealership near my home the next day. They said they couldn't do anything, if the lights weren't on. No interest if pursuing it further. Even though I told him that the other dealership informed us where to look. He just blew me off.

It happened a third time in August. We were again about 250 miles from home. It was a weekend, and we were not near a dealership. I just pulled the cable, and got on with our trip.

But I was pissed. I spent almost 40K for this car, and it had less than 13K miles. I wasn't getting any meaningful help, from anyone. Plus, we purchased this vehicle specifically to travel and maybe tow a small pop up camper. Having an issue every 250 miles was far from ideal.

I was due for an oil change, and called the national line again. No help. Can't fix what we can't duplicate, yadah, yadah. I asked if they just couldn't put it on a scope when they did the oil change. Same yadah, yadah. I don't know why I bother to call.

I called my service advisor at the dealership that does my service. My service advisor didn't call me back. Which is his usual.

I called the service manager. I told him my problem, and asked if he wanted to go on a 200 mile ride with me. That seemed to be the only way to duplicate it. He was friendly, and laughed. I was joking anyway. I then asked if he could at least throw it on the scope. He thought for a second, and said “Sure, why not?”. He also assigned me a new service advisor.

I was in the waiting room for only about 15 minutes, when the service manager came out. They had found the issue. There were also a lot of old codes in the system.

So here ya go:

I had the same warranty fuel pump replacement. Subaru didn't mandate changing out the O ring at the same time. So the O ring had failed. Causing the evap problem. It takes some driving before it happens again.

They changed out the faulty O ring. I was given a loaner car, and was able to get my Ascent back the next day.

That seems to have fixed it. So far, so good. But I haven't taken it on a long trip yet.

I am grateful to the service manager for agreeing to look at it. But I resent that Subaru national customer service was so useless. I am still a little upset that I had to be such a squeaky wheel to get this issue looked into.

I love my Ascent. But I am worried that Subaru doesn't seem to love their customers. So now I am worried about the next time I have an issue. It has undermined my confidence in the brand.

Oh yeah. I had noticed a dip in fuel economy as well. It improved after the O-ring replacement. So even if you are not getting all of the warning lights, you might ask the dealership to look at this. That is, if you can get someone to listen to you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There are likely a dozen O rings associated with the fuel pump. Do you know which one it is that fails ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks costatravl. Turns out my car had the same problem. Some seal associated with the fuel pump was leaky and they replaced it. Keeping my fingers crossed that the problem doesn't reoccur.
While I was at the dealership to pick my car, another came in and the owner was complaining of fuel smell. Service advisor deduced it was the same problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.