Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year after we got our 2019 Limited we noticed a low rumble or groan that gets louder and softer and repeats every few seconds. It happens when we are between 40-70mph. (At 75mph it's not there fortunately since that's our normal highway cruising speed.) It did this with the original tires. After we replaced the tires (BFG Advantage T/A Sport) and had the alignment checked I thought that would change, but it didn't. It doesn't matter what road surface we are on - asphalt, concrete, grooved concrete. It's loud enough that even my wife noticed and she normally doesn't notice these things.The pitch doesn't change with speed. I'll be taking the car in for the fuel pump recall soon. Any ideas on what I should have them look for that could be causing this noise? We don't have roof rails, sunroof or anything that sticks out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah. I'm think bad u joint, bad CV joint, bad wheel bearing, diff problem, center drive clutch problem. I'm leaning toward U joint or CV joint. Can you feel it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on the rumbling noise - the dealer's service people say they found a bad wheel bearing on the right front wheel. This was likely the result of us smacking into a curb when we were still trying to get the feel of a bigger vehicle. They also said the rotors were warped (I think that's what they said) but that this would be fixed under warranty. I'll get it back tomorrow and then report if our rumbling is gone.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
Update on the rumbling noise - the dealer's service people say they found a bad wheel bearing on the right front wheel. This was likely the result of us smacking into a curb when we were still trying to get the feel of a bigger vehicle. They also said the rotors were warped (I think that's what they said) but that this would be fixed under warranty. I'll get it back tomorrow and then report if our rumbling is gone.
Suggest they change the front pads to the new part number to prevent the brakes from vibrating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - wheel bearing replaced and the rumbling noise seems to be gone. Haven't had a lot of time on the highway yet, but so far so good. Rotors all replaced under warranty. No reason given as to why they were in such bad shape, but "defective parts" seemed to be the most likely suspect. Brake pads were in good shape and since we hadn't had any brake issues replacing the pads was put off until later. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the odd thing. We never had any brake issues that we were aware of. The rotors were "badly warped" but there was no squealing, shuddering or other symptoms. It came as a surprise to me when they told me they were replacing them, but then I noticed all of the posts about rotor problems and realized that this is a not-uncommon issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@JeffB70 talking about curb I ran up on the curb and blew out two tires not hard but my tires did blew out then tire rack gave me the only tire available in this size then the rumbling started, the falkens is the manufacturer recommended tire this tire hums like a Jeep . When I turn my steering wheel it feels like I'm going over a rumble strip . So if you're not observant what's going on with your car it will cost you and you think the problem is fix and it's not

1 - 12 of 12 Posts