Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,528 Posts
bugessms, I get that without shutting off ACC, etc., while on the highway, although I never exceed 70-72 mph unless it's to pass in a "situation" that requires it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe the "low mpg" mindset is a fallacy for a few reasons. Hear me out.

TL : DR I have owned a lot of cars...and gas be expensive

I have own eight vehicles over past 20 years and they got increasingly bigger until 2017. The last truck I bought in 2014 was a Ram 3500 long bed (6.7 hemi). In 2017 I decided to downgrade and traded the 3500 in for a 2017 Outback. Compared to that truck, the Outback was a damn Prius! I was getting 32-35 mpg highway. About a year later, after paying it off, I traded it in for a 2018 WRX. I Immediately noticed the drop in mpg AND the downside of putting in 93. Since I didn't owe any money on it, I couple months later I traded it in for a 2018 Outback and was instantly happy with my mpg again. Even though it only took me a few months to pay it off, I was never happy driving it and a month ago I traded it in for a 2020 Ascent Limited. For the first 1000 miles I was very concerned about the mpg, as many people here point out, until about two weeks ago. First, I learned the engine (to quote DD, "quirks and features") then I started driving in manual mode almost exclusively. Once I did that my highway miles increased to over 27 mpg and I have been able to get about 400 miles per tank.

So what was the point of that diatribe? I believe many people are buying Ascent who have never owned a large vehicle. They are coming from Outbacks, Foresters and Camry's. So the mpg shock is HUGE and they don't understand that large vehicles consume A LOT of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
So what was the point of that diatribe? I believe many people are buying Ascent who have never owned a large vehicle. They are coming from Outbacks, Foresters and Camry's. So the mpg shock is HUGE and they don't understand that large vehicles consume A LOT of fuel.
Additionally, how one drives (eg: throttle control) is faaaar more important with a car so much heavier (half ton heavier than an Outback, for instance).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Additionally, how one drives (eg: throttle control) is faaaar more important with a car so much heavier (half ton heavier than an Outback, for instance).
Exactly. It's a 6000 lb vehicle with a four banger in it. 20 (hell, even 10 years ago) years ago people would have laughed in your face if you said a four cylinder engine was producing 260 hp and 277 ft-lb torque AND able to push a 6000 lb SUV 0-60 in 6.9 seconds

·
Registered
43 Posts
Exactly. It's a 6000 lb vehicle with a four banger in it. 20 (hell, even 10 years ago) years ago people would have laughed in your face if you said a four cylinder engine was producing 260 hp and 277 ft-lb torque AND able to push a 6000 lb SUV 0-60 in 6.9 seconds
Sorry for going off topic. Some may just chuckle that a 2.4 L turbo only produces 260 HP. Dan Gurney's little gem surely drank a bit more than the Ascent, but the output from this reliable, little, Toyota motor was impressive.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's the amount of air that can be put through the engine that limits the power output. Normally aspirated engines need to have more displacement/rpm because that's they only way they move air. Supercharging and turbo charging can force much more air through the engine without the need for large displacement.

Basically all physical performance mods that are done to engines are about increasing the amount of air that can get through the engine. Headers and exhaust systems, cams, porting/flowing heads, bigger carbs, better or no air filters, intake scoops etc...

Of course you need the right fuel mixture, but that's not normally a limitation as it can be increased as needed to match the air flow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Alright, did a test and verified it over few gas tanks. Off a dead stop, I made a conscious effort to not go over or close to 2000 RPM and I have hit 20 mpg for the last few gas tanks. This is mostly with city driving.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Alright, did a test and verified it over few gas tanks. Off a dead stop, I made a conscious effort to not go over or close to 2000 RPM and I have hit 20 mpg for the last few gas tanks. This is mostly with city driving.
I adjusted my air pressure on my winter tires and increased my mpg by 5 mpg. Highway driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my car last week. With lots of idle time for setting up and driving within the city for 120 miles, my present average is 19.2. The lack of traffic on streets is surely contributing to this also. This is in Los Angeles.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts