Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2019 Limited version which i have driven a little over 18K now and have NEVER gotten anything above 18 mpg. I started at 13 to 15 mpg when the truck was new and it improved to 18 but no more. I brought that up during my last service (18k) but the dealership didn't want anything to do with what the "sales guys" told me. According to them the typical is 18 mpg and that is about it. I showed him what was listed on the website including that it is rated and recommended for regular gas (he wanted me to try premium). They ran a check and found nothing. I am in San Jose, CA and use Chevron gas. I have mixed driving between city and highway but it does not make much of a difference, I have taken long road trips on it also. Speed change to 65 mph helped a little but as i said, i am capped at 18 mpg. Any ideas? I have not made any changes to the truck and only have cross bars on top. Stock tires and rims.

·
Registered
651 Posts
That seems oddly low for even all highway. 18 is pretty average for city driving (even high), but mid-high 20s is pretty average for all highway.
I don’t have crossbars, but I do drive 80mph+ with wind..

Right foot firmware flash?:D

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,528 Posts
You might want to explore the many existing threads on fuel economy...it might be your specific vehicle or it might be the conditions you drive in or it may be how you use the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That seems oddly low for even all highway. 18 is pretty average for city driving (even high), but mid-high 20s is pretty average for all highway.
I don’t have crossbars, but I do drive 80mph+ with wind..

Right foot firmware flash?:D
Wow, for true city driving 18 mpg would be really good. With almost 18 months of ownership, I was averaging 22 mpg over the "lifetime". Had 28 mpg on a couple of tanks. Moved from TN to PA the end of November and have not gotten over 15 mpg on a tank of gas. I'm not blaming the car. I'm all city driving thus far, have not had to travel more than 7 miles for anything whatsoever. I have had no chance/reason to "get on an open highway" or anything without a traffic light every block or two.

Also, do you use remote start? Are you sitting in the car fumbling with the radio/phone, etc. You can set your screens to see "real time" MPG - that will help you change your driving habits in order to get better MPG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you going by the trip computer? or calculating it manually every fillup?
By tank is usually 1mpg less, car shows 18. I have reset that every time I fill, I left it for a few tanks to see if it can get a better reading but it does not change once our have first few gallons burned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, for true city driving 18 mpg would be really good. With almost 18 months of ownership, I was averaging 22 mpg over the "lifetime". Had 28 mpg on a couple of tanks. Moved from TN to PA the end of November and have not gotten over 15 mpg on a tank of gas. I'm not blaming the car. I'm all city driving thus far, have not had to travel more than 7 miles for anything whatsoever. I have had no chance/reason to "get on an open highway" or anything without a traffic light every block or two.

Also, do you use remote start? Are you sitting in the car fumbling with the radio/phone, etc. You can set your screens to see "real time" MPG - that will help you change your driving habits in order to get better MPG.
I do ocationally use remote start but it is not more than 5 min before I am in the car. I do have the "live" mpg in my dash and that is how I learned about driving at 65 mph or above difference.

Sounds like Subaru's estimates are unique. For highway I guess if I stick to 65 mph on cruise I may get there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might want to explore the many existing threads on fuel economy...it might be your specific vehicle or it might be the conditions you drive in or it may be how you use the skinny pedal.
I am making an effort to see if I can stay below 2000 rpm when coming off a dead stop and get better results. It's not like I floor it, typically it goes to 2.5k or at th most 3k coming off stop lights.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
I do ocationally use remote start but it is not more than 5 min before I am in the car. I do have the "live" mpg in my dash and that is how I learned about driving at 65 mph or above difference.

Sounds like Subaru's estimates are unique. For highway I guess if I stick to 65 mph on cruise I may get there.
Subaru's estimates for the Ascent are not unique and beatable by anyone who matches or improves on the EPA testing drive style.

Most of the EPA testing is at 60mph or less.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,528 Posts
Yesterday, while driving south on I-95 in Florida I had to stray from my normal "very light foot" driving style to deal with a few situations caused by idiots and inconsiderate drivers by more frequently exercising the skinny pedal. The impact on the fuel economy average was a lot faster than I anticipated it would be. That proved to me very clearly that truly spooling up that turbo gets that engine saying, "Feed me!" big time.

Otherwise, I'm getting my normal 27 mpg despite having about 375 lbs of additional weight in the cabine as my older daughter is traveling with me (a "woman of size") along with her luggage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have about 3800 miles on mine so far. Live in Waco, TX and besides driving around in town (can get 17-20 or so), make trips to Dallas or Austin. I have gotten up to 25 or so, but, typically around 21-22. Seems to have a sweet-spot around 60-65, but if driving 80-90, it will drop down to 21 or so. This is all using the onboard display. I have learned to be VERY relaxed and slow in pressing the pedal. Came from a 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design (6-cylinder turbo, 360 hp) which easily got 26-27 driving 80-90, so, a bit disappointed (realize it's no where near as aerodynamic...<G>

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

terrain impacts the mileage as well

·
Registered
239 Posts
Have about 3800 miles on mine so far. Live in Waco, TX and besides driving around in town (can get 17-20 or so), make trips to Dallas or Austin. I have gotten up to 25 or so, but, typically around 21-22. Seems to have a sweet-spot around 60-65, but if driving 80-90, it will drop down to 21 or so. This is all using the onboard display. I have learned to be VERY relaxed and slow in pressing the pedal. Came from a 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design (6-cylinder turbo, 360 hp) which easily got 26-27 driving 80-90, so, a bit disappointed (realize it's no where near as aerodynamic...<G>
It is also 800lbs heavier. Wife's daily driver is the 2013 S60 R. It is a blast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have found that by using the paddle shifters instead of the automatic shifting, I can increase my city driving by 2-3 MPG, getting around 18.5 instead of 16. Even on the highway, I've found that I'm cruising in 7th gear at 65 on a flat surface, rather than in 8th gear...so I use it on the highway as well. Doing so, I can get over 30 MPG with max speeds of 70.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ho
I have found that by using the paddle shifters instead of the automatic shifting, I can increase my city driving by 2-3 MPG, getting around 18.5 instead of 16. Even on the highway, I've found that I'm cruising in 7th gear at 65 on a flat surface, rather than in 8th gear...so I use it on the highway as well. Doing so, I can get over 30 MPG with max speeds of 70.
how can you tell what gear you are in?

·
Registered
968 Posts
. That proved to me very clearly that truly spooling up that turbo gets that engine saying, "Feed me!" big time.
That would be why the people who buy a WRX or WRX STI really don't care whether the car gets the economy it shows. That's so they can tell their significant other - look, dear, this WRX gets 27 mpg (22 for the STI) on the highway! And then when they drive it like it CAN drive (which also means all you folks doing 80 mph on the highway in the Ascent because, let's face it, it's actually a fun thing to drive like that), and they 16 mpg (or 13), it's not an issue.

I've seen that on road trips in my Forester. On the roads here in Oklahoma that have a 75 mph speed limit, we get 30 mpg. On the roads where it's a 65 mpg speed limit, we get 32 mpg.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That would be why the people who buy a WRX or WRX STI really don't care whether the car gets the economy it shows. That's so they can tell their significant other - look, dear, this WRX gets 27 mpg (22 for the STI) on the highway! And then when they drive it like it CAN drive (which also means all you folks doing 80 mph on the highway in the Ascent because, let's face it, it's actually a fun thing to drive like that), and they 16 mpg (or 13), it's not an issue.

I've seen that on road trips in my Forester. On the roads here in Oklahoma that have a 75 mph speed limit, we get 30 mpg. On the roads where it's a 65 mpg speed limit, we get 32 mpg.
My almost 1 yr old ascent with almost 11k miles with 60/40 city/highway driving averages rt now at 16 miles per gallon. Ive seen it went up to 25 mpg during highway driving. I dont mine with the low mpg coz the car is fun above 3.5k rpm. I hate driving this car at stop and go traffic. It drinks gas😂.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My almost 1 yr old ascent with almost 11k miles with 60/40 city/highway driving averages rt now at 16 miles per gallon. Ive seen it went up to 25 mpg during highway driving. I dont mine with the low mpg coz the car is fun above 3.5k rpm. I hate driving this car at stop and go traffic. It drinks gas😂.
Typo it should be mind!!!! Lol

·
Registered
207 Posts

As a WRX owner I disagree. I want the the listed mpg and I get it, quite easily all without using the turbo and accelerating faster than an Ascent. On the flip side I can punch it at any time and have great performance.

But it is a manual. I am in control of the rpms, not some engineer that thinks my rpms need to be sky high with full boost to go up a tiny hill ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was getting excited, after hitting 18.7 at the end of the summer with about a 50/50 mix, I'm back down to 16.3 with about the same mix. Even my highway mileage is back down to 22, I had been hitting 25 over the holidays, and was hoping for an uptick in overall mileage. I think it's just a combination of my car ( until recently I also had a lot of problems with my car, whereas others had not, so car-to-car variance plays a role), and the terrain. And I know the winter fuel doesn't help either. it's not a huge deal for me, but it would be nice if it was getting better mileage than the twin turbo V8 gls450 I had before this ( and I did not baby that car like I do the ascent). My other cars generally get rated mileage.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts