Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 19 Touring since late June. Love the car!! Highway trips were 26 mog, ok, but around town was always 11 or 13 mpg. My last road trip was 20 mpg highway? Would the dealer do anything about this?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Had my 19 Touring since late June. Love the car!! Highway trips were 26 mog, ok, but around town was always 11 or 13 mpg. My last road trip was 20 mpg highway? Would the dealer do anything about this?
There is not much to be done. That all seems normal. In town driving stinks. If something was wrong with the vehicle, you wouldn't get the Highway driving MPG that you are getting. Remote start, fiddling with the radio/phone as you sit in the car, stopping at traffic lights, etc. - all kill your MPG. Flip to the screen that sets on the dash above the radio that shows "real time" MPG and you can see exactly what your type of driving at the moment is doing. I have set in traffic thru a couple of light changes before being able to move and it ticks me off to see MPG drop and I can't do anything about it.

As an example of what I mean - before moving from another State last month, my combined city/highway MPG was almost always above 20 mpg on each tank of gas. After moving, all my driving has been in town with lots of traffic lights. Needless to say, I have been at 13-15 mpg on the two tanks of gas that I've used. MPG use to sort of be a game for me - to see how high I can get it. Now, the fun is gone. It makes me want to just hop on the interstate to boost my mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,169 Posts
There are quite a few threads on this topic in the more specific sub-forums. I average about 20 mpg in general rural/town/short-run driving and a hair under 27 mpg on the highway. I'm a light foot driver and make it a point not to spool up the turbo at low speeds. I don't exceed 65-70 mph on the highway and use cruise control in the softest "ECO" mode. Folks in urban areas are going to be challenged around local driving mileage because of the constant stopping and starting...and as has been mentioned so many times, the mandated testing doesn't actually emulate real "city" conditions for the tests, so folks in more urban areas are not likely going to see the published "city" (which isn't really city) number in actual use.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just did a trip to LA and back... the flow of traffic was 75-90mph so I averaged around 23mpg. When we're driving it during the week (mix of hwy and streets), we're averaging around 18.8mpg. My wife has a heavier foot than I do, good thing the Subi is her primary car and not the v8 sports car that I get to drive ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Text Line Slope Parallel Font

We've always kept detailed mileage records on our vehicles and this is how our 2019 Premium has been doing since new. Blue line is fill-up to fill-up and red line is rolling average (about 22.5 mpg).
Primary driver is the wife who spends a lot of time commuting through Seattle area rush hour traffic in a 50/50 mix of highway surface street driving with no towing. She normally averages over 12,000 miles per year but she didn't drive our Ascent for a few months while we were sorting out its CVT issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.