Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my 2020 Ascent Limited for a little over a year now (~12K miles) and I started hearing a low humming sound. I still can't determine how/when it happens but it sounds like when you manually switch to a lower gear when on high speed. Hard to describe but I noticed it because it's not the usual sound I've always heard (my wife also noticed it). It started just the past Saturday (Feb 13) and that day was the first time I used X-mode (drove through heavy snow).

Want to get your thoughts/comments if this is normal or if I'm just imagining things. I'm also trying to record more videos as this happens and I'll post it here. Below are some I've recorded today (Feb 16):

(@ 00:53) - In the freeway and as I settled at around ~66mph (also at 1:42 I noticed there's a wind noise that I also heard for the first time).

(@ 00:10) - In a local road, low humming noise at consistent speed of around ~45mph.

(@ 01:25) - In a local road, right after a short acceleration and right before the signal light.

I haven't called my dealer yet as I'm not sure if this is something I should be concerned about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you park in a warm garage? Just wondering if maybe there's some ice built up on the driveline or in a wheel that you picked up in the deep snow. Do you notice vibration or just the noise?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Hmmm... the wind noise - four things come to mind (maybe it's one of them?)...
  1. A window that didn't seal all the way (lowering them and raising them fixes that.
  2. Something hanging out the bottom of a door, or the outer splash seal being damaged.
  3. Damaged moonroof seal.
  4. Improperly installed roof rails (should be thick edges forward, thin edges towards the rear).
As for the humming sound, after making sure there wasn't something wrapped around an axle, or rubbing against a tire, I'd bring it in to have it checked out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do you park in a warm garage? Just wondering if maybe there's some ice built up on the driveline or in a wheel that you picked up in the deep snow. Do you notice vibration or just the noise?
Yes, always parked in the garage. I initially thought ice built up too and actually stopped the first time I heard it to clear out snow around the wheels but sound was still there. No strange vibrations and was just the noise. It was faint with the radio on and hard to hear with windows open.

Hmmm... the wind noise - four things come to mind (maybe it's one of them?)...
  1. A window that didn't seal all the way (lowering them and raising them fixes that.
  2. Something hanging out the bottom of a door, or the outer splash seal being damaged.
  3. Damaged moonroof seal.
  4. Improperly installed roof rails (should be thick edges forward, thin edges towards the rear).
As for the humming sound, after making sure there wasn't something wrapped around an axle, or rubbing against a tire, I'd bring it in to have it checked out.
The wind kind of disappeared (I didn't hear it in the same freeway going back) after I opened and closed the moonroof. I'll observe in the next couple of days if it happens again. Definitely sounded like coming from near my head (on the driver's seat). I didn't have my roof rails on too. Thanks for the tip on the axle and tire, I'll check it out and bring it in if nothing unusual.

Does it feel like it’s straining at all when making that noise? Does it feel any less powerful than before? Any imbalance (vibrations)? If it feels pretty much the same as ever except for the noise then maybe there is an exhaust leak?
Not really, you'll see in the videos that I was trying to accelerate a couple of times to see if there's any strain/less power. The sound/noise does remind of like the engine is not getting power or something but didn't felt that way. Thank for the tip, I'll check the exhaust.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,256 Posts
The noise does sound like a low frequency rhythmic sort of sound, the kind you'd get from a poorly wearing tire or a bad wheel bearing. You can often diagnose a wheel bearing by slightly turning the car from side to side as you hear the noise. If you bank the car gently in a left hand turn, a bad left side wheel bearing will usually go quiet and a bad right side wheel bearing will usually stay audible or even get louder. Opposite for a right hand turn.

When's the last time the tires were rotated? Do any of the tires appear to have odd wear patterns? You could swap the tires front-to-rear or even just side-to-side to see if the noise changes or goes away. I had this on an '01 Cadillac STS one time. I swore it was a bad right rear wheel bearing. The tech went for a ride with me and thought it could be a tire. He just swapped tires side-to-side and the noise completely went away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The noise does sound like a low frequency rhythmic sort of sound, the kind you'd get from a poorly wearing tire or a bad wheel bearing. You can often diagnose a wheel bearing by slightly turning the car from side to side as you hear the noise. If you bank the car gently in a left hand turn, a bad left side wheel bearing will usually go quiet and a bad right side wheel bearing will usually stay audible or even get louder. Opposite for a right hand turn.

When's the last time the tires were rotated? Do any of the tires appear to have odd wear patterns? You could swap the tires front-to-rear or even just side-to-side to see if the noise changes or goes away. I had this on an '01 Cadillac STS one time. I swore it was a bad right rear wheel bearing. The tech went for a ride with me and thought it could be a tire. He just swapped tires side-to-side and the noise completely went away.
Tires were rotated about 2 months ago.

Decided to bring it to the dealer today and their initial assessment is bad wheel bearing just based on a test drive. They'll share more details tomorrow. Oh and I got a loaner 2021 Ascent and was surprised to clearly hear the difference in terms of noise (the loaner was definitely quiet and didn't have that noise).

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI, I have a 2019 Ascent Premier (Canada). I had unusual wind noise mid cabin on the passenger side. Brought it to the dealer (who were skeptical at first) and they replaced the moonroof seal, after receiving 2 damaged seals. Problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.