Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Was able to drive in the dark last night in the new Ascent I picked up yesterday.

Subaru knocked it out of the park with these headlights.

Nice clean cutoff, great hotspot etc. Good stuff. Reason alone to get a higher trim.
Greetings,
I agree. They are quite nice. I've not had a chance to really use the auto high-beam function yet. Could be a nice feature in some settings.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Was able to drive in the dark last night in the new Ascent I picked up yesterday.

Nice clean cutoff, great hotspot etc. Good stuff. Reason alone to get a higher trim.
I found them amazing on my road trip through the middle of nowhere on a new moon. When we got to Shafer Canyon at midnight, we had to navigate the switchbacks all the way down with nothing but those headlights, in pitch black. They may have literally been a life saver, lol!!!

Here's the way up to give you an idea of what we tackled in the dead of night on a new moon.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Headlights are very very good. All my cars have the adaptive headlights and it's an incredible safety feature to have, especially on the winding roads of the Adirondacks and Berkshires.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wholly agree I love the LED steering responsive headlights. I have a community drive in the back of my house in a big city which is normally pitch black at night. The drive is quite narrow and lined with parked cars with yard gates in between and I normally need to make a left hand turn into it. So normally it's a guess of whether there is someone walking in the dark or stuff laying out until I've made the complete turn. With the steering headlights, I can now see the entire drive space half way into my left turn giving me extra degree of safely.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My previous two cars (BMW, Lexus) had HID steering headlights. I thought they were nice but decided I wouldn't miss them on the Premium with its fixed halogen lights. Driving the other night I was surprised how much I did miss them.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Love the lights, except you can't force the brights.
Pull the lever to the temporary position or turn off auto brights.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
Yea, I was watching them do their thing on the way home from food shopping at Wegman's tonight...windy back road and it was neat watching them follow the road as I turned.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
831 Posts
Just found the thread where the dealer can disable auto brights. We like auto lights, but not auto brights.

Looks like a dealer trip.
Edit: Never mind, ignored the following...

As Robert has already said, auto brights are a user setting. Auto brights require 2 user actions: 1. Setting the headlight control to Auto on the turn signal stalk and 2. Pushing the turn signal stalk forward to the Bright position. The headlights will then switch between Bright and Dim based on other traffic Eyesight sees.

To go completely manual, turn the headlight control to On, then the Bright/Dim works normally with the push/pull off the turn signal stalk. Of course you have to turn the lights On and Off yourself.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The one feature I would like to have.Guys and gals please keep your eyes on the road and stop admiring the turning lights .

Oh never mind I’d probably be doing the same thing. ?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

I have really appreciated them as well.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
738 Posts
Edit: Never mind, ignored the following...

As Robert has already said, auto brights are a user setting. Auto brights require 2 user actions: 1. Setting the headlight control to Auto on the turn signal stalk and 2. Pushing the turn signal stalk forward to the Bright position. The headlights will then switch between Bright and Dim based on other traffic Eyesight sees.

To go completely manual, turn the headlight control to On, then the Bright/Dim works normally with the push/pull off the turn signal stalk. Of course you have to turn the lights On and Off yourself.
We don't want to turn off auto lights, this that solution doesn't work. But it looks like the dealer can disable auto brights when auto lights are used.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
We don't want to turn off auto lights, this that solution doesn't work. But it looks like the dealer can disable auto brights when auto lights are used.
You can do that yourself. Leave the stalk in normal position.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You can do that yourself. Leave the stalk in normal position.
Lol....dude.

There are times where I need the brights to be on. Not auto on/off, but on regardless. And, I dont want to fiddle with changing the regular lights setting from auto. Holding the stalk back is not acceptable because it's annoying after about 5 seconds and makes driving difficult.

I was actually excited for the auto brights for the past few years. This was the first Subaru to have it for us, and my wife and I both hate it after having driven the car almost 2k miles. It's on when it shouldn't be and off when I need it to be.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lol....dude.

There are times where I need the brights to be on. Not auto on/off, but on regardless. And, I dont want to fiddle with changing the regular lights setting from auto. Holding the stalk back is not acceptable because it's annoying after about 5 seconds and makes driving difficult.
Greetings,
Naturally you should have the car configured to your liking. But come on.. If you need the brights on it must be dark, so there is no downside to having the light switch in the "on" position instead of "auto." The amount of effort needed to switch modes is akin to turning on the fog light, or the rear wiper for that matter.

One possible caveat is that the auto brights don't turn on unless you are moving fast enough. Below some speed (20 mph?) the brights won't turn on automatically. If you are predominantly driving more slowly and want the bright lights, I can see you wanting you disable the function.

·
Registered
738 Posts
As someone who has not needed to touch the lights setting (exception of brights) for the past 4 cars, I see no reason to start.

First world problems ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts