Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…..got wife out finally to take a ride together. Have had this sweet new 2020 baby for less than
one week, and find that I don't seem to agree with some reviewers at ALL !

This car is for us quite fast...more power than really needed.
Don't really experience reduced power via CVT 2nd, 3rd gears some have expressed.
Took a few turns off highway...felt fine...no "leaning" to side as I've read.
No loud noises made by engine and tranny...maybe am losing my hearing ?

And other complaints I've read...may understand later on, but for now:

LOVE this Subie...it's my #7, and my best to date in many ways. And compliments my AGE !!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You can’t be too old. The technology would drive you nuts!
for a few weeks it did drive me nuts. I took a week to just drive and ignore most of the tech. Then I took one or two tech features at a time to add to my knowledge base and awareness. The universal symbol, yeah .. not so much ( I needed my readers just to see what the symbol was let alone understand what it meant. The alert sound.. what the heck does that mean? The light indicator for the lane..am I too far to the left or right? A display in front of me and up and to the right and something in my rear view and side mirrors.. maybe a UFO.

Oh heck just drive, somehow I managed to drive without any accidents for 40+ years.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
An older couple in our Sunday School class bought a 2019 Forester about a year and a half ago, and joked that they bought a computer with a car attached to it. After buying the Ascent, I know exactly what they were talking about. Like @packout, I took ours one step at a time...and gradually added awareness of different features one or two at a time.

We actually declined the new vehicle delivery shpeel with the dealer -- it was a rainy day and my wife had a school appointment, and we sorta just needed to get outta there. I think that was probably the right move -- it was nice to be able to learn the features of this thing over time, and as I needed or wanted to "discover" them, rather than have everything shot out of a cannon at once.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OMG right up your alleys.

Wife's hands went up in the air, while sitting in driver seat...what the heck are all of these things
sticking out of the steering wheel ? Told her I don't really know yet...she said then keep it to
yourself, I just want to test drive this thing. As y'all said, will learn for fun over time...maybe a
LONG time !

A fun moment yesterday was when entering onto highway, suggested to the boss lady "give it
some juice" to get up to speed.....

Her 2 word reaction was "HOLY S--T !!!!!!!!!!! (sometimes fun getting older).

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
An older couple in our Sunday School class bought a 2019 Forester about a year and a half ago, and joked that they bought a computer with a car attached to it. After buying the Ascent, I know exactly what they were talking about. Like @packout, I took ours one step at a time...and gradually added awareness of different features one or two at a time.

We actually declined the new vehicle delivery shpeel with the dealer -- it was a rainy day and my wife had a school appointment, and we sorta just needed to get outta there. I think that was probably the right move -- it was nice to be able to learn the features of this thing over time, and as I needed or wanted to "discover" them, rather than have everything shot out of a cannon at once.
Don't get me started on the war and peace length owners manual.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I find it worthwhile to have downloaded the PDF manuals from mysubaru.com. It's easy to search and click back/forth between pages that are referenced in the text. I have them on my phone too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
…..got wife out finally to take a ride together. Have had this sweet new 2020 baby for less than
one week, and find that I don't seem to agree with some reviewers at ALL !

This car is for us quite fast...more power than really needed.
Don't really experience reduced power via CVT 2nd, 3rd gears some have expressed.
Took a few turns off highway...felt fine...no "leaning" to side as I've read.
No loud noises made by engine and tranny...maybe am losing my hearing ?

And other complaints I've read...may understand later on, but for now:

LOVE this Subie...it's my #7, and my best to date in many ways. And compliments my AGE !!
3rd Suby ... Agree, my 2020 Ascent just turned 23,000 miles and ( knock on wood) has had powerful ,quiet, smooth as silk CVT and operation .Just drove 500 miles today at Legal highway Speed, mpg is 27-28 . I do think it is a little too “nice” to be an off road er but I am sure it would be fine, I did run over a traffic island in a dark unfamiliar area and it seemed unfazed ( darned navigation told me to turn there 😂) I also have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited so I feel I have the best of both worlds . I confess I do miss our 2015 Forester that I would have taken anywhere , and years ago my trusty Justy .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts