Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is third time I experienced this as I was heading into strong winds driving south on Garden State Parkway. Averaging 75 mph. Winds today averaging 25-30 mph where I was, near open water area. Ascent is 2020, only 4,000 miles.

2 things:
Much too loud...not whining....just loud. Never had this in any previous car.
Secondly, the front hood was moving up and down from the headwind !!! Pulled over,
and hood wasn't loose. But visually was moving while driving !!

And while I'm here, may as well mention...the engine area whines at high pitch after
I start it up. Goes away after a few miles...or if I warm up at home, after 5 minutes
of warming up the engine. Anyone else have any of these irritations ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is third time I experienced this as I was heading into strong winds driving south on Garden State Parkway. Averaging 75 mph. Winds today averaging 25-30 mph where I was, near open water area. Ascent is 2020, only 4,000 miles.

2 things:
Secondly, the front hood was moving up and down from the headwind !!! Pulled over,

And while I'm here, may as well mention...the engine area whines at high pitch after
I start it up. Goes away after a few miles...or if I warm up at home, after 5 minutes
There is a service bulletin or recall about this. Can't remember which. The dealer should take care of this. I had the save thing happen and dealer fixed it.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
of warming up the engine
That's your CVT. It's normal, and mentioned in the Owners Manual. Your CVT is in front of you, your engine is in front of the front wheel centerline.

Secondly, the front hood was moving up and down from the headwind !!!
As mentioned above, there's a TSB with a fix. The hood gets rebonded together. Mine does this still (I'm over 70,000 miles), but, I've been too busy to get it done. You will be in a loaner car for a day, so the panel bonding agent can set.

I'll be on the GSP tomorrow, heading out to the Pine Barrens to off road.

Much too loud...not whining....just loud
If you have roof crossbars, make sure they're installed with the thick edge forward, and the thin edge backwards. Move the front one as far back as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's your CVT. It's normal, and mentioned in the Owners Manual. Your CVT is in front of you, your engine is in front of the front wheel centerline.

As mentioned above, there's a TSB with a fix. The hood gets rebonded together. Mine does this still (I'm over 70,000 miles), but, I've been too busy to get it done. You will be in a loaner car for a day, so the panel bonding agent can set.

I'll be on the GSP tomorrow, heading out to the Pine Barrens to off road.

If you have roof crossbars, make sure they're installed with the thick edge forward, and the thin edge backwards. Move the front one as far back as possible.
Thanks to all, appreciate your input.

Will address the hood seal topic with dealer. Hoping that the loud noises at high speed/high wind situations are related to same.

And delighted that the start-up whining is normal from CVS. Assuming that all
brand CVSes are similar.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Assuming that all
brand CVSes are similar.
No other CVT is like the Subaru CVTs. And, most other Subaru CVTs are not entirely like our high torque CVT. 😉

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Add my 2021 White Touring model to the list of Ascents with excessive wind noises coming from somewhere on/near the Panoramic Moon Roof - a nice option but not with this noise! It has the cross bars and when we drove it cross country from VA to WA, about 2900 miles, we had a Thule cargo box on top so thought that might be the reason for the loud wind noise. It wasn't. The box is off the vehicle now and the same noise persists. I think the cross bars are backwards but not too sure. I'm taking it in to the dealer here in Vancouver on Tuesday and tell them what I've been able to find out about this problem on the forum, cross rails, leaky seals, vent settings, etc. Hopefully they'll get this fixed. A 50K plus SUV shouldn't sound like this one does. It's my first Subaru and will be my last if this doesn't get fixed pretty quickly. Odometer showing 3028.
Subaru rails.jpg
Subaru Speedo.jpg

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
@29-1 who installed your roof crossbars?

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Sheehy Subaru, Springfield, VA
It looks like the thin edge is forward. If so, please let them know the thick edge goes forward, and the thin edge goes backwards. You may refer to this video, which shows you how they should look:

Also, push the front one farther back, at least to the mid point of the rail between the stanchions, to help minimize turbulence and noise even farther.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Awesome video. My front bar is definitely backwards.
In your trunk or glove box, will be a Torx torque wrench (looks like a torque wrench with a red plastic piece on it).

Loosen the top torx screws on each side so they ride up about 1.5-2". Bang the top of the torx wrench with your hand, or use a torx bit in a driver and bang it with the palm of your hand. The bottom retainer plate should drop off the roof rails. Spin it out of the way on both sides (if it can't clear the rails, then loosen the torx screw some more). Once they're spun out of the way, simply lift off the crossbars, spin them 180°, and tighten the screws while holding the bottom plate into place.

IF you use the wrench that came with the crossbars, note that it is a torque wrench. Use the red plastic piece to measure torque to properly torqued the screw.

This guy shows the proper way to install them:

To slide it backwards, you will note that there's TWO torx bolts on each side of the bottom of the crossbar, ONE set of them is in a groove, one is in individual holes. Loosen the bolts on the side that slides (the top one in this pic). Also note that the crossbars have arrows on the undersides to verify the direction they should face.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Robert, thanks for the info on how to properly install and adjust the roof rack. I'd do it myself if the dealer had left the wrench in the vehicle after they installed it. Same old story, hi volume dealer, not enough techs, aggressive salesman wanting to make a quick delivery, etc, etc. Only problem was that I had several additional items installed after the car got to the dealership to include a trailer hitch. No surprise that the roof wrack torx wrench got misplaced, set aside during the shuffle. I'll try and get one of these from Thule or eBay, or the dealer I'm taking it in to on Tuesday.
Thanks again for your great assistance on this.
Chuck

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
It looks like the thin edge is forward. If so, please let them know the thick edge goes forward, and the thin edge goes backwards. You may refer to this video, which shows you how they should look:

Also, push the front one farther back, at least to the mid point of the rail between the stanchions, to help minimize turbulence and noise even farther.
so apparently the dealer technicians do not read the instructions and just wing it. That just inspires confidence in how they approach their work. A task probably handed to a lower level tech is fine as long as they have been properly instructed on the task.

·
Registered
19 Posts

2 things:

yes it is big problem man, my Ascent 2020 also have this problem, I think all Ascent have this problem! Even you drive 55mph in strong winds the hood moving up and down. Its just poor design, the metal is thinner then Coca-Cola cans metal... That's how they make cars now, just to cover airbags:ROFLMAO: It would be nice if Subaru hire me as test drive quality manager I would make quality a lot better :) And actually I'm very disappointing quality Subaru because I drive Subaru for 10 years Crosstrek legacy Impreza Forester Ascent and all lease so I have very good experience in Subaru.

·
Registered
19 Posts

2 things:

yes all 2020 Ascent having this issue, because of turbo... Turbo not working on fool power until you warm up the engine

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Robert, thanks for the info on how to properly install and adjust the roof rack. I'd do it myself if the dealer had left the wrench in the vehicle after they installed it. Same old story, hi volume dealer, not enough techs, aggressive salesman wanting to make a quick delivery, etc, etc. Only problem was that I had several additional items installed after the car got to the dealership to include a trailer hitch. No surprise that the roof wrack torx wrench got misplaced, set aside during the shuffle. I'll try and get one of these from Thule or eBay, or the dealer I'm taking it in to on Tuesday.
Thanks again for your great assistance on this.
Chuck
Update. Visited the Subaru dealer yesterday here in Vancouver, one of many as this appears to be Subaru ground zero here in the PNW, and problem solved. The service tech told me they get a vehicle or two in every day with complaints about wind noise and its most always caused by miss mounted cross bars, like mine for example. The front bar was on backwards and way too forward in the rails. He turned the bar around and slid it back and even gave me the torx driver tool to keep, the dealer in VA decided I really didn't need when the rack was installed.:rolleyes: No issues now with noise. I may have got lucky with this one not having any seal leaks or other hard to find causes for the wind noise that other folks on the forum have experienced. So I'm thankful for that. The tech also told me that if I wasn't regularly using the cross bars to take them off and store them. He showed me how to do this in about 10 minutes while I was waiting in line in the service reception bay to get the initial service done! Very efficient and friendly operation. I was a little amused over the sticker Thule had underneath one of the bars stating just what the service tech had just told me.😂

1 - 16 of 16 Posts