Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this doesn't happen every time but it seems that when I first turn on the ventilated seats they make a lot of noise then after about 1 minute will quiet down. Is this normal? I've sat in many other cars with ventilated seats and I don't remember any of them doing that.

Anyone else in a Touring model having a similar issue? I plan on taking it in when I get the tow hitch installed and asking them to check it.

I'll try to get a video of it with sound up but it doesn't happen every time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I test-drove the touring, my wife and I were definitely surprised how loud the fan was for the ventilated seats. The fan seems to be located mid-way / toward the rear of the vehicle, somewhere near the roof. I initially thought the rear climate control was cranked way up, but then figured out it was all tied to the ventilated seats. Not sure this is the same issue you are experiencing, as the fan sound was very consistent - i.e. didn't get quieter over time.

Reactions: gsctht

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I test-drove the touring, my wife and I were definitely surprised how loud the fan was for the ventilated seats. The fan seems to be located mid-way / toward the rear of the vehicle, somewhere near the roof. I initially thought the rear climate control was cranked way up, but then figured out it was all tied to the ventilated seats. Not sure this is the same issue you are experiencing, as the fan sound was very consistent - i.e. didn't get quieter over time.
I thought it was the rear vents as well so I turned off all the fans except the seat to narrow it down. After I did that it sounded like it was inside the back of the driver's seat. As I said it doesn't happen every time which worries me a bit. I haven't tried the passenger seat but I'll see if that one makes the same noise as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Okay so this doesn't happen every time but it seems that when I first turn on the ventilated seats they make a lot of noise then after about 1 minute will quiet down. Is this normal? I've sat in many other cars with ventilated seats and I don't remember any of them doing that.

Anyone else in a Touring model having a similar issue? I plan on taking it in when I get the tow hitch installed and asking them to check it.

Yup , noisy for the first few seconds then quiets down.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
There are two fans, both in the seats

You'd think. I did too. But, I've since dug through the parts guides when I heard my seat fans (plural). Mine aren't noisy really, but one hears them. I wondered why.

There are TWO fans. One is in the seat bottom, in roughly the front-ish area (not counting the extendable lumbar support - only counting the front of the seat body). The second (the one we likely hear) is in the seat back, below the headrest, practically between where the headrest rods slide into the seat.

They pull ambient air into the seats (both obviously from different locations).

So, short version... one is literally right between your shoulderblades, right below your ears... and if you're 5' or so, it's right next to your ears. If I recall correctly, the vents for it are right near your ears at the top of the seat back.

·
Registered
277 Posts
since I never had ventilate seats, I don't really know what to expect.

1. I feel air breath when they are running, but not immediately. Is this normal? Does pressure need to build up to force air through the seat's leather holes?
2. Is there an objective (rather then subjective) indicator that this feature is working? I can hear fans in the seat. If I put piece of paper on the seat, should it indicate air flow (like Foosball table) ?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
since I never had ventilate seats, I don't really know what to expect.

1. I feel air breath when they are running, but not immediately. Is this normal? Does pressure need to build up to force air through the seat's leather holes?
2. Is there an objective (rather then subjective) indicator that this feature is working? I can hear fans in the seat. If I put piece of paper on the seat, should it indicate air flow (like Foosball table) ?
It really depends on the car as when I looked at the Audi Q7 they said the seats actually sucked in air rather then blow it out. My wife's car also has ventilated seats and what I found is that the seat doesn't warm up as much so I feel much more comfortable. The Ascent is pretty good but I would like to feel a bit more air movement.

As far as building pressure I'm not sure exactly how they work but it seems like the Ascent does need to do that or at least in my vehicle since the car is so loud at first.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As best as I could deduce, the Ascent's ventilated seats PULL air out, away from the passengers, as opposed to some other brands where cool air is pumped into the seats (like our new Hyundai GT Sport). I've been wondering how well it works. The noise is an interesting development. How do they actually work? Do you feel a difference while using them? I'm in South Florida, and they are one of the main reasons I sprung for the Touring (if it ever gets here!)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I looked at the Audi Q7 they said the seats actually sucked in air rather then blow it out. My wife's car also has ventilated seats and what I found is that the seat doesn't warm up as much so I feel much more comfortable. .
This is very interesting info, thanks!!

Our German dishwasher also sucks air in (rather then blow steam out) to dry dishes (it then discharges condensed moisture). I wonder if has something specific with German engineering.
Yes - "seat not warming up as much" is exactly what I have observed (but you have articulated it perfectly). I guess I expected to be actively cooled.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
There was that early pre-production test drive video that I posted where they said there was an issue with the fan noise... maybe watch that and see if it's that loud?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
764 Posts

Yeah this is what I was afraid would happen when I learned it was an in seat system rather than connected to the regular HVAC system. I've noticed the Rep model that we were using for test drives had a noticeably louder fan at 2500 miles than it did when it was first shipped to us with 10 miles.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Serious 1st world problem, sorry for the inconvience. Let me guess, the auto-climate control is on Auto...Auto Blows...literally like a banshee for a few.

My OBs are from 2005-2006. They don't have NAV, they don't have VDC or any traction Nannies. I feel blessed. Each of them do have a dual zone automatic climate control head unit. This "modern" bit ... it the bane of my existence. The d*mn thing is a PITA even in manual mode, both cars. I wish I could swap it for something with blender door and cables like a '88 Camry. I can't imagine the head unit issues 10 years later.

I am sorry your air cooled seats are not silent operation. Air cooled seats...sheesh. This is like the folks in 2002 who complained about the seat warmers being too hot an all setting but low.

1st world problem.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Serious 1st world problem, sorry for the inconvience. Let me guess, the auto-climate control is on Auto...Auto Blows...literally like a banshee for a few.

My OBs are from 2005-2006. They don't have NAV, they don't have VDC or any traction Nannies. I feel blessed. Each of them do have a dual zone automatic climate control head unit. This "modern" bit ... it the bane of my existence. The d*mn thing is a PITA even in manual mode, both cars. I wish I could swap it for something with blender door and cables like a '88 Camry. I can't imagine the head unit issues 10 years later.

I am sorry your air cooled seats are not silent operation. Air cooled seats...sheesh. This is like the folks in 2002 who complained about the seat warmers being too hot an all setting but low.

1st world problem.
I think you misunderstand I'm more worried that something is wrong with the fans that are installed. If they make noise on startup and that is normal I'm fine with it what I am worried about is that really they are rubbing on something and the sound goes away once the fan heats up more. Also the sound is inconsistent as sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the same issue and my driver's air cooled seat is loud. The passenger one is not. (Yes I sat in it and ran it).

I am going to tell my dealer when I bring it in for the hitch install. I will let you know what they say.

Best to report these things ri

·
Registered
168 Posts
Subaru said it is operating fine and did not produce a louder sound for them. I have gotten used to it and found that waiting for the car to be running a minute before turning on the air cooled driver's side seat, seems to not be as loud. I wonder if it is just drawing too much power and the fan spins offspeed? This really sounds quiet on the passenger side (yes I sat in it so same weight person). Not a deal breaker for me... Buy I too just did not want it to be "faulty" and break completely.

I'll keep an eye and report it each time it goes into service so it does not get overlooked if there is ever a Subaru "known issue" or partial recall. Having it on service notes is always helpful and much better than in 5 years saying.... It always was wrong from the start.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Subaru said it is operating fine and did not produce a louder sound for them. I have gotten used to it and found that waiting for the car to be running a minute before turning on the air cooled driver's side seat, seems to not be as loud. I wonder if it is just drawing too much power and the fan spins offspeed? This really sounds quiet on the passenger side (yes I sat in it so same weight person). Not a deal breaker for me... Buy I too just did not want it to be "faulty" and break completely.

I'll keep an eye and report it each time it goes into service so it does not get overlooked if there is ever a Subaru "known issue" or partial recall. Having it on service notes is always helpful and much better than in 5 years saying.... It always was wrong from the start.
Driver and passenger seat are pretty different inside, which could be why they sound different volumes (because they probably are?). So, that makes sense.

I never run mine on full, and find the other settings are fine. Usually, I run it on the lowest setting.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OP: can you confirm for me?
Hard to judge as it seems to be random on when it is loud. I have noticed the passenger seat will do the same thing when empty as I turned it on to see if it was just the driver seat.

Here is a YouTube video of the sound:
https://youtu.be/bOg7N3Tw00o

1 - 20 of 69 Posts