Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 Weeks towing a Wolf Pup 16BHS, 377lbs hitch weight, 3,400lbs loaded, and 21' long with my 2020 Ascent Limited. We covered 3500 miles from Huntsville AL, through St. Louis, Salina KS, Colorado Springs CO, Amarillo TX, Shreveport MS, Biloxi MS, and back to Huntsville. The limited handled everything great even with half a tank of fresh water. I could sure tell how the torque distribution system handled trailer sway. Can't say enough about the Ascent's ability to handle the trailer. The engineers really put some thought into this car. Rear backup camera worked like a charm to hook up. While in Colorado, did a short run into Phantom Canyon part of the Gold Belt tour scenic and historic byway. WOW! Ever get a chance to run that in the springtime, please do. You'll love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2 Weeks towing a Wolf Pup 16BHS, 377lbs hitch weight, 3,400lbs loaded, and 21' long with my 2020 Ascent Limited. We covered 3500 miles from Huntsville AL, through St. Louis, Salina KS, Colorado Springs CO, Amarillo TX, Shreveport MS, Biloxi MS, and back to Huntsville. The limited handled everything great even with half a tank of fresh water. I could sure tell how the torque distribution system handled trailer sway. Can't say enough about the Ascent's ability to handle the trailer. The engineers really put some thought into this car. Rear backup camera worked like a charm to hook up. While in Colorado, did a short run into Phantom Canyon part of the Gold Belt tour scenic and historic byway. WOW! Ever get a chance to run that in the springtime, please do. You'll love it.
View attachment 5448
How was driving Phantom Canyon road in the Ascent? I've only ever done Phantom Canyon on a motorcycle and it seems like it would be tight with something that large.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How was driving Phantom Canyon road in the Ascent? I've only ever done Phantom Canyon on a motorcycle and it seems like it would be tight with something that large.
I found it to have plenty of room, provided that you remember there may be traffic the other way. Tunnels were fun and yes, got to watch the walls. A few side trails to campsites provided some fun and gave my son some "spotting" experience. Definitely convinced me to get a lift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 5448
I was wondering if you had a chance to to get the wolf pup weighed? I am looking at getting this trailer but keep thinking the hitch weight will be to much.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hitch weight was well within the 200lb limit. I did not weigh the trailer fully configured. However we took the empty weight and weighed the gear we put in. Made sure that we didn't exceed 60% of the max for the Ascent. Ascent pulled great but the mpg really took a hit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.