Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a 63# group 27 for my boats trolling motor, changed it out for a 50ah Ionic deep cycle at 14.2#. I have never been able to run it below 70%. It has a bluetooth monitoring system built in. When we get our trailer that's what I'm going to put in. But I'm in FL so I don't have to worry about cold weather and it's effect on lithiums

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just be aware that many lithium batteries can be damaged if charged below 32 degrees F. Automotive/RV applications require Lithium Iron Phosphate also called LifePo4 batteries which can be charged below the freezing point. Be sure to purchase a lithium battery that is rated to be charged below 32 degrees F for any application used outdoors unless you're certain it'll never be used in sub-freezing conditions.

It's not advisable to use such batteries where sub-freezing temperatures are frequent as the internal battery management system often does not allow charging to occur until the battery is warmed up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm hopeful that someone has advice re: switching to LiFePO4 batteries ( have a Geopro with 200 W solar, at present) .
I currently have the cheap dealer-installed lead-acid marine batteries ( Pro Guide 24EV) and not happy with performance at all.
I'm seeing a 200ah lithium from Pacific SunSystems for $1250 vs 2-100ah Battleborn , about $2k vs Renogy 170ah at $1500.
I think these are all "drop-in" optionsbut 1) are they roughly equivalent 2) would a separate "lithium-aware" charging system be required? Or just an upgrade?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Any drop in Lithium should have it's own, complete, BMS to manage charge voltage ( it does not increase in cold weather unlike lead acid) and thermal issues. My car is un-garaged and at elevation in northern calif, it is too cold for Li for at least 3 months. Some batteries may have a heater inside, but that would need 10 minutes of driving to warm the battery before charging can begin, not great. And Li performance drops off rapidly below 40F.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts