Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Looking to replace our Forester

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Jim_in_PA 
#1 ·
Hello,
This is my first post here but I’ve been a member of the Forester forums for a while.
Our 2009 Foz is getting a little worn with almost 220000 miles. It has been very good to us I will admit, but it is developing problems that at this mileage might be foolish to repair (head gasket leaks oil externally but with no fluid transfer, and timing belt needs doing).
it is my wife's car and she really likes it and she is interested in an Ascent. Probably not a Touring as they are too spendy. I am concerned about the CVT reliability but i like the idea of a turbo-4.
Are the reports of transmission problems exaggerated? We’re thinking that once the world settles down a bit (hopefully by early autumn) we might be in the market for a 2020 once the 2021’s start arriving.
Regards and stay healthy

#2 ·
There is no problem with the CVT itself...it's been in use for over ten years! There was a problem with a wiring harness in the Ascent that in some cases caused damage to the transmission. Subaru dealt with the issue.

The Ascent is a wonderful vehicle and if your spouse wants to upsize, it could be the perfect choice for the added space, etc. She may also want to test drive the MY20 Forester, too...it's like a mini-me to the Ascent. We have both in our driveway (Ascent Touring is mine and Professor Dr. SWMBO just bought a MY20 Forester Limited) and it's incredible how similar they are outside of the obvious size difference.

#3 ·
We have 3 Subaru’s
2020 ascent touring 6300 miles
2019 forester touring 13k miles
2020 forester premium 83 miles just got it
Love them all
Forums bring out the extreme sometimes
Of what I’ve read the Subaru cvt probably some of the best maybe Prius cvt better
My suggestion is get something NOW because deals are insane and I traded my 2015 limited OB w 55k miles for the forester since 0% for 63 months is INSANE
I Considered a RAV4 but no real incentive
Highlander TOO small poor 2nd seat headroom I think Toyota made a mistake with the HL needed to be as big as pilot or ascent wife immediately said no to the HL not for but kids
My wife LOVES her ascent
I think forester center stack better organized than ascent

the forums include where to get extended warranty
I’d get one if you fear for duration
Hard to guesstimate durability
I trust Subaru Corp they have many loyal drivers
Also I got $500 loyalty ck in addition to my wonderful deal

I got 1k over target price for OB trade
And got forester at invoice

can’t beat that

we are VERY pleased with overal quality and safety
Eyesight is the BEST system not just my opinion it’s gotten accolades from everywhere
consider extended warranty from this forum

you want to put your wife in a safe reliable car think about if she is on the side of road and can’t get home

I have 18 and 16 yo daughters they got the foresters I want them safe and able to get home

my wife insisted on it after her experience with the 2015 OB

she is happy ..... I am happy

#12 ·
New Jersey auto sales are also shut down as are some other states. We are very hard-hit here in the NE with the virus and I fully support the decisions made at the state level to help limit the spread of the virus. Yes, it's a difficult situation. My own business is effectively shut down...even though I can and do produce work for clients without any contact (my business isn't a storefront, etc.), but I can't buy materials. It's very true that the definition of what is an essential and what is a non-essential business is difficult, but there is also a waiver process that has been used successfully by some businesses to remain at work when they support other essential businesses, etc. This will all phase out, hopefully in the near future, as infection and hospitalization rates begin to ramp down.

#14 ·
Hello,
This is my first post here but I’ve been a member of the Forester forums for a while.
Our 2009 Foz is getting a little worn with almost 220000 miles. It has been very good to us I will admit, but it is developing problems that at this mileage might be foolish to repair (head gasket leaks oil externally but with no fluid transfer, and timing belt needs doing).
it is my wife's car and she really likes it and she is interested in an Ascent. Probably not a Touring as they are too spendy. I am concerned about the CVT reliability but i like the idea of a turbo-4.
Are the reports of transmission problems exaggerated? We’re thinking that once the world settles down a bit (hopefully by early autumn) we might be in the market for a 2020 once the 2021’s start arriving.
Regards and stay healthy
Yes it’s true there a lot of Recalls!
And shifting/ RPMs fluctuations the list goes on! (2018-2019)
Maybe 2020 Subaru Ascent or the Outback that’s pretty sweet ride or wait for the hybrid 2022.

#15 ·
It's like anything, you don't know what you're going to get until you get it. My last two high-end European SUVs were bulletproof, despite the statistical probability of both being a train wreck. My Ascent, and my last Toyota Avalon limited (in addition to numerous issues, I had the unintended acceleration experience, while dropping off my kid at the drop off point for a parade in the midst of about 300 people, many whom I knew, scariest moment of my life!?! Luckily I shifted to neutral, hit the brakes with both feet, and got the car stopped almost immediately), were far more problematic. Fortunately, the issues with the Ascent never left me stranded, although sometimes it takes a while to start.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

#16 ·
PA Governor Wolf just signed bipartisan legislation that included permitting remote notary which will enable car dealers to resume sales in the state as long as they do it online/phone. Showrooms remain verboten, but this is a step forward.

Reactions: packout
#18 ·
I'm not sure how it will work, either, but at least it will allow the process to resume. It's certain state paperwork that needs the notary so with that bottleneck removed, it's progress. NJ may have a similar issue, but I haven't heard anything yet. A friend in NJ has a new Tundra reserved with a deposit which he was able to do remotely, but can't complete the transaction until dealers can be "open" in some sense of the word.

#19 ·
I cannot begin to tell you how absurd this all is. It would be absolutely safe to complete the paperwork online just like we do with mortgages. The final "contact" can be accomplished with a dropoff or pickup with individuals far apart from each other and the vehicle sanitized. It can be made totally safe. I was recently working a high security jobsite where I had to leave my security badge on a table and then walk away for an officer to walk over there to pick it up. Whether you agree with this being necessary or not, it is all doable. The current inconsistencies are extraordinary and unnesessary.

#20 ·
As I noted, here in PA, they had to change/relax a law that requires notarization to be "in person, face to face" in order for auto dealers to complete sales fully online. The notarization is around commonwealth paperwork, not the vehicle sale or financing which is already largely automated at most dealers. The state government took that step and car sales are back to happening in Pennsyltucky now. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.