Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I still don’t have my Ascent, Wednesday came and went, sadly. Anyways, I’ve been looked at lightweight campers that I might like to purchase later on and was wondering what others on this forum own or recommend. I don’t need a big camper, sleeping for four at most, indoor kitchen with burner stove, sink and a bathroom would be a plus but not a deal breaker. I’ve looked online and there are so many options. I’ve looked online and seen many option but figured I would ask here since I’m sure there are many like minded adventurous individuals out there. Something easy and for a beginner would be a plus. It’s been a long time since I’ve towed anything, and when I did it was just a trailer with a few dirt bikes on it with some camping equipment in an old Landcruiser. Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
What activities donyou do on camping trips? It plays into trailer ideas.
Weather? Region high altitude? Or Flat lands?
Crowded hard to get sites campgrounds? Or remote pit toilet, dirt road sites?

Bicycles? Boats?

Or just hiking?

Regarding gear hauling needs?

Just bunks for 4 and wet bath, no space issues or dirt road visions
This is my favorite
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-Livin--Lite-CAMPLITE-16BHB-5003514624

Pit toilet, remote camping and hauling toys, bicycles, boats etc

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Intech-Rv-Intech-RV-Flyer-Explore-Flyer-Base-5002673219

Add bunk o cot for kids, flip out bunk for parents.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We won't get our Ascent Limited for a few weeks, but we are purchasing it, part, to pull our camper trailer. We have a lightweight (2,700 GVW - 1,900 empty) Alto, Model F1743 by Safari Condo, Inc.. They are a Canadian RV manufacturer located in Quebec. They sell to Canada, USA and Australia. If you are in the USA, you have to buy direct from the factory or from one of 2 dealers. One is Can-Am RV Centre located in London Ontario, the other is Get-Away RV in Abbotsford, BC. The factory store sells to all of USA, but the other dealer territories are limited to adjoining states to their respective provinces. Currently, there are 4 models, 2 are with retractable roofs (17 ft) and 2 are fixed roof models (a 17 ft and a 21 ft). All but the base Ascent can easily tow any of the Altos, even at max weight (GVW). The fixed roof models have everything the OP has listed, including the inside bathroom. Keep in mind these are high quality campers and are not cheap. If you order a new one, there is a long wait (we waited more than a year). Used trailers come on the market occasionally. but usually sell immediately. We have been using our 2015 Premium Outback 4 cyl to tow our Alto without issues. Many other Alto owners tow with Outbacks, too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What’s the average price of an Alto? Sites I see are listed as bi-weekly cost with no term. I’m a click away from a Tepui Autana Ruggedized... but my wife might appreciate a camper more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate all your responses to this. It will really just be myself and my daughter using the camper. My husband and older daughter are not the adventurous type. So no serious off roading, just camp grounds that are easily accessable. I like the idea of not having to have a bathroom, but the hike to the bathroom in the middle of the night is something that I am very familiar with as I grew up camping - having a red back spider fall on my from the top of a bathroom stall still haunts me to this day (for all you Americans, think black widow). Will definitely be getting something used, a new camper just isn’t in the budget.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Two bunks.

Check out these super easy to tow, smaller they fit in tent sites typically 13ft and under you can do tent sites which means way easier to find available sites.

Also easier on the road when visiting cool little towns with tight parking. Easier to store at home too.

Cricket trailer gives you a porta potty for the emergency. Though most people avoid using rv toilets anyway. Even on our 28ft sailboat we rarely ever use the head on the boat.

https://taxaoutdoors.com/ultra-light-trailers/cricket-camper-trailer/

The Moth is very cool too but very new. I havd seen used Cricket trailers for $10,000-ish

If you can get past the potty thing
These are great too
https://www.hikertrailers.com/
Luna Lite
http://www.intechrv.com/luna-lite.php

·
Registered
201 Posts
What’s the average price of an Alto? Sites I see are listed as bi-weekly cost with no term. I’m a click away from a Tepui Autana Ruggedized... but my wife might appreciate a camper more.
Here’s a response I received from Alto back in April 2018...the prices will run from $38,000 to $48,000 (CA $$)...

Hello,

First, thank you for your interest in our product. The Alto is an absolutely unique travel trailer in its design and in its construction.
You can see the Alto in our show room near Quebec City (address below) or you may be able to see one in your area if there is an Alto owner near you.

Many of the visits in USA are done in collaboration with our own clients, who are passionate enough about the product to accept to show it to other potential customers. Nevertheless, we want to make sure that the potential customers we refer to these owners are truly well informed of the process for purchasing an Alto, which is more complex than purchasing from your neighborhood RV dealer. This is why we want to make sure you are comfortable with three significant aspects that come with buying an Alto:
1. Due to the high demand for the Alto, our current delivery times can be 16 to 18 months depending on the model you choose.
2. The Alto is a very high quality travel trailer with an average price range between $38,000 to $48,000 CAD.
3. In order to ensure a quality delivery of the product all Altos sold through our corporate sales office are delivered in Quebec City.

If you are at ease with these facts and still interested in pursuing your enquiries into the purchase of an Alto, please send me your phone number and also your complete address that will be given only to one of our sales representatives in order to find someone near you.

For your enjoyment or to share or obtain information with other Alto owners and enthusiasts, there’s a Facebook group named “Altoistes” that you can join.

We have units that have been purchased by people all over the United States for more than 5 years.
Our Alto has a warranty of 2 years. Having repair and warranty work done at a distance from our factory is something we have been handling for many years without any issues.
You will pay local taxes when you register the unit in the USA not in Canada. We will provide you with Quebec province temporary plating that will allow you to drive home with it (10 calendar days). You have to get insurance coverage on your own.

I have attached a few documents that will be helpful to familiarize yourself with the Alto travel trailer options and pricing. The deposit is 7000$ USD.

Here is the link to access our web site: http://www.safaricondo.com/en/

Access the Alto video On YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9m6ORElqdVVu5qs8BnM6xA/videos

Kind regards,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvia Ravenelle
Secrétaire / Réceptionniste
1378, chemin Filteau, St-Nicolas (QC), Canada G7A 2N4
Tél./Phone : (418) 836-3664
Sans frais / Toll-free : (866) 836-6664 | Fax : (418) 836-5553
Courriel /E-mail : [email protected]
Web : www.safaricondo.com | Boutique en ligne / Online store : http://safaricondoacc.com/boutique

·
Registered
411 Posts
We won't get our Ascent Limited for a few weeks, but we are purchasing it, part, to pull our camper trailer. We have a lightweight (2,700 GVW - 1,900 empty) Alto, Model F1743 by Safari Condo, Inc.. They are a Canadian RV manufacturer located in Quebec. They sell to Canada, USA and Australia. If you are in the USA, you have to buy direct from the factory or from one of 2 dealers. One is Can-Am RV Centre located in London Ontario, the other is Get-Away RV in Abbotsford, BC. The factory store sells to all of USA, but the other dealer territories are limited to adjoining states to their respective provinces. Currently, there are 4 models, 2 are with retractable roofs (17 ft) and 2 are fixed roof models (a 17 ft and a 21 ft). All but the base Ascent can easily tow any of the Altos, even at max weight (GVW). The fixed roof models have everything the OP has listed, including the inside bathroom. Keep in mind these are high quality campers and are not cheap. If you order a new one, there is a long wait (we waited more than a year). Used trailers come on the market occasionally. but usually sell immediately. We have been using our 2015 Premium Outback 4 cyl to tow our Alto without issues. Many other Alto owners tow with Outbacks, too.
I've been OOGlING these since I saw an episode of "How It's Made" a few years ago. I would love one of these, but the cost seems a bit high for the size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We bought a used lightweight KZ Escape last year at only a year old. We moved up from a pop up camper mainly for the bathroom. I grew up tent camping and was skeptical about needing a bathroom. Now....I would NEVER go back! 2 kids and no midnight hikes....priceless!
We got a unit that is ultra lightweight with no oven, but a microwave and bunks for kids. My advice....Go with lightest weight possible for features you like and shop used because there are some great deals out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We bought a Camp Inn 550 last August (2017) and have now put in 44 nights and 6450 miles. It's easy to tow and store in a garage but these advantages mean that it's quite small. I've been towing with a 2012 Outback 2.5 liter which has been adequate however I chose the Ascent limited as I know it will be a much better tow vehicle. This might not work for you though if you need bunks for 4.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our Alto - Model F1743 and 2015 4 cyl Outback Premium. We do use a weight distribution hitch. The rig is very stable. For the past 2-1/2 years, we have towed all over the eastern US and in Ontario and Quebec covering many thousands of miles. We are waiting for our new Ascent Limited so I can't give a review. I'll update when I can. Our Alto has been great. Very easy to tow and to set up at a full service campground or boondocking and, while traveling, just stopping for lunch or overnighting at Walmart.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have been enamored with this https://www.sylvansport.com/go/ as it has great flexability but unfortunately it does not sleep 5 comfortably.
Jason I looked at these. So first know that they are $8000!

The tent is a thin summer only tent. The trailer is light steel tube structure bolted together. It sleeps 2 in separate bunks. Its about a $900 in materials made in China product.

There are several much higher quality options on true utility trailers for less money.

The best being Jumping Jack Trailers made in Utah.

The trailer I have was sold by Lifetime and came out of the Utah shop as a kit. Two queen sized bunks with a 4x6 floor. Super heavy canvase tent on a trailer rated for 2500lbs. I paid $1800 took me two nights 2 hours each puttering in the garage to assemble.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts