Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I moved from Toyota Sienna to Subaru Ascent few month ago. The Ascent is 3" higher then Sienna and now my car doesn't fit into garage with my storage box on. I bought Thule Ascent 1100 roof box some time ago and was very happy. It is 12.5" tall and my Sienna fit into garage perfectly. I am wondering why nobody makes low profile but wide boxes? Wouldn't that make sense?

Any pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Gene.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear All,

I moved from Toyota Sienna to Subaru Ascent few month ago. The Ascent is 3" higher then Sienna and now my car doesn't fit into garage with my storage box on. I bought Thule Ascent 1100 roof box some time ago and was very happy. It is 12.5" tall and my Sienna fit into garage perfectly. I am wondering why nobody makes low profile but wide boxes? Wouldn't that make sense?

Any pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Gene.
First off, which crossbars do you have? some bars sit drastically lower than others and can help save valuable height if needed.

Second, I have a Yakima skybox lo carbonite. It measures L 92.00in x W 36.00in x H 11.50in
Thant may be what you are looking for. We love it.
In comparison, your box is 88.5 x 25.5 x 12.4

·
Registered
978 Posts
That was a thought I had too. Except mh Outback only fits in my garage with my roof box if I have about 100lbs loaded behind the rear seat. Otherwise I catch the tip of my box on the rubber gasket along the bottom edge of my garage door.

Parking garages I’m fine with the box but rough numbers suggest the Ascent and my box wouldn’t do parking garages. Even low profile snow ski only box of 8inches or so wouldn’t work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the crossbars that come with one of the regular packages Ascend is being sold with. Can you recommend any special crossbars I can use? I need to shave 2-3 inches, your box saves me 1. Thank you!
There are a couple sets of bars that the Ascent comes with. IF you wanted to stick with Yakima, you could opt for these:

Yakima railbars. they sit about flush with the side rails and save a couple inches off of the other models like this:

or

I can't say specifically how much room it would save but from the looks of it at least one inch. I have the Yakima railcars on my 19 forester. They are actually the original version of them which were made by Whispbar. I can try to measure for you later and see what the difference is rom roof height to the top of the bar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the crossbars that come with one of the regular packages Ascend is being sold with. Can you recommend any special crossbars I can use? I need to shave 2-3 inches, your box saves me 1. Thank you!
There are a couple sets of bars that the Ascent comes with. IF you wanted to stick with Yakima, you could opt for these:

Yakima railbars. they sit about flush with the side rails and save a couple inches off of the other models like this:

or

I can't say specifically how much room it would save but from the looks of it at least one inch. I have the Yakima railcars on my 19 forester. They are actually the original version of them which were made by Whispbar. I can try to measure for you later and see what the difference is rom roof height to the top of the bar.
Thank you! Btw, somebody posted YouTube video on how properly install the Aero crossbars and stated that one in three Subarus have it wrong. I checked mine - their seem to be properly installed with word FRONT pointed right way. BUT, thick side of the crossbars are facing front, not the thin ones. Is that correct?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, I believe the thicker side is forward to reduce the wind noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts