Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what measurements do I need to look for im a hitch rack ( I have the original oem hitch ) for 4 bikes I seems Subaru advertises the Thule but to me they are too expensive so I鈥檓 looking for other options if anyone could help I鈥檇 really appreciate it it鈥檚 my first time owning a car with a hitch lol

Registered
I was wondering what measurements do I need to look for im a hitch rack ( I have the original oem hitch ) for 4 bikes I seems Subaru advertises the Thule but to me they are too expensive so I鈥檓 looking for other options if anyone could help I鈥檇 really appreciate it it鈥檚 my first time owning a car with a hitch lol
I have an older swingdaddy that I love for any 2" hitch. Not cheap, but it is so easy to use and setup.
Here is a quick search for the current version on-line (which I have not used). I appreciated not having to remove bikes just to get into the rear of my vehicle. The rack is very strong and easy to mount virtually any style bike frame. I used to use an accessory for an oddball kids frame and it worked great along with mounting the full size bikes. It would literally take two minutes to load all three bikes and get on the road. Stopping somewhere to get access to the rear was quick and easy when I would swing the rack out of the way of the lift gate. Easy to lock. I did use some other method of tying the front wheels to they would not bump into each other. I have not seen any swing hitch bike rack really address this, but it is a very easy adaptation depending on the bikes' configurations.

I used my rack for years on a minivan but since that van was totaled, my replacement vehicle could not support a 2" hitch so I stored the rack in my garage until the Ascent.

Some users apparently have been concerned with the marketing that it can carry four bikes. Today's bikes come in so many configurations, I doubt there is any rack manufacturer that deals with this inexpensively. You can use a tray hitch rack but then it will extend out very far and cost big bucks and it does not swing out of the way. Consider these fat tire bikes or some mountain bikes. Clearly their configuration would limit how many you could mount, so I guess it depends on the type of bikes you plan on carrying.

No perfect answer.

Let me know what you choose.

Registered
Price depends upon your requirements.

If you have inexpensive bikes that you don't mind getting banged around and that you're going to carry on a car that you don't mind possibly getting scratched, and you don't mind a hassle loading and unloading the bikes, then you can get away with an inexpensive bike rack for less than $200.

If you don't want your car scratched, you have bikes that you care about, and you want easy loading and unloading, the price goes way up to around $250-$550 or more, depending upon how many bikes you wish to carry and if you need a swing-out feature for easy access to your trunk/hatch.

You get what you pay for.

Registered
^^ Absolutely. I鈥檝e had both the cheapie and the nice platform. The cheapie trashed my bikes way back in the day, the platform style protects my my car and my high-dollar bikes.

Registered
It really all depends on what the value of what you are hauling or how convenient you want the rack to be. The post/two pronged racks are fine, but requires some massaging if the frame of the bike is odd or you are carrying multiple bikes. Cost is lower and you can get out the door with Saris, Yakima, and Thule for under $200 if you are only carrying two bikes. For occasional bikers, that is probably the best option. I鈥檓 a cyclist, therefore, I鈥檝e evolved from the post style to tray because my taste in bikes have evolved too. I don鈥檛 want anything touching my frames. I鈥檝e already gone through the pain of loading multiple bikes into a post style rack or had to buy a top tube device to allow me to carry our odd framed bike. I鈥檝e also done the take the wheel off and load it on the rack on the roof. Not anymore, I value the keep the wheel on style roof trays but like everything else in this world it comes at a premium.

Registered
As far as specs go, any hitch rack for a 2" hitch will fit. As others have said though, you tend to get what you pay for. If you want a solid / quality rack, they aren't cheap. I struggled when I was searching as well but finally decided I wanted a solid rack with padded arms to avoid scratching my bikes. Options such as swing arm or tilt also factor into the price. I personally went with the Yakima Full-Tilt which we found for $300 on amazon around the holidays. It tilts, but still need to take the bikes off.

What I finally realized is that by the time I loaded our bikes on the rack, I was looking at >$1k in bikes hanging off the back of my Ascent - I wanted a rack that I KNEW was going to keep them safe so opted for the extra $$ (but didn't have the space for a tray style).

There are cheaper options (fast search on amazon shows an Allen 4-bike hitch for $119) but I have no idea how well it will hold up. Do some searching and decide what features are important to you. There are lots of options, but most of the name brands with a few features all fall into the higher price ranges.

Allen 4 Bike rack:

Yakima FullTilt 4:

Administrator
I use a Swagman XTC4 for my family.

A little assembly is required, but came with locking pin and long bike cable to secure the bikes to the rack.

The only headaches I've had over the years is sometimes forgetting to close the hatch BEFORE loading the rack up with gear. But that's operator error.... lol
And it is on the heavy side... When trying to move from garage to back of the car.

Multi-use capabilities. 馃お

Rear squat due to cargo area and pod packed full of Christmas cheer & gear...

Registered

Registered
Yeah. You can always reduce a 2" receiver to accept 1.25". Going the other way is more problematic. And as stated, some racks come with a 1.25" to 2" adapter so the can mount in either. A native 2" rack is better IMO as it's more solid and and less able to rock when properly installed, especially for 3 or more bikes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. You can always reduce a 2" receiver to accept 1.25". Going the other way is more problematic. And as stated, some racks come with a 1.25" to 2" adapter so the can mount in either. A native 2" rack is better IMO as it's more solid and and less able to rock when properly installed, especially for 3 or more bikes.
Awesome thanks

Registered
I have an older (maybe 7 years) Thule T2.
It is very strong and the bikes do no swing. I would highly suggest you get a better rack like this and not the hanging/swing type. Those racks will have your bikes banging into each other as you drive. I purchased it from REI.

Registered
^^^ I use a similar Rockymounts Monorail 2" two bike rack. It's very stable, solid and clean.

Registered
I have a kuat 2 bike rack and 1up bike rack. The 1 up is very easy to use and it is very stable. You can buy an add ons depending on your needs.
Transport Vehicle Mode of transport Car Road

Registered
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned 1UP USA bike racks. They make some amazingly solid hitch bike racks that have add-on trays to carry more bikes. They are great for people in the southwest (especially Phoenix!) because the sun usually cooks all of the plastic and rubber pieces on all of the other rack brands. There is not one single piece of plastic on a 1UP rack. They are also all made in the USA so you'd be supporting a local company. They also come with a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that! Check them out! 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.