Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! We have been long time VW owners and currently own two VWs. We have put a deposit down on a Subaru Ascent Limited 8 Passenger with the sunroof in Crimson Red Pearl that is in transit to the dealer. They told us about three weeks. This will be my wife's car as there was no way I would give up my GTI. She will be trading in her fairly new Golf Alltrack. We are very sad to see that car go as we really loved it but we needed something bigger. We went into the dealer (joint vw and Subaru dealer) to look at an Atlas. I convinced my wife to at least give the ascent a drive and she ended up loving it over the atlas which shocked us both. We are excited for the new car and it will be our first Subaru. Posted some pictures of the current cars as I don't have any of the new Subaru yet. We have recently moved from CT to NY and have three kids so our needs in a car have changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Welcome! We have a similar story, my last new Subaru was in 1984 then pretty much Hondas since then with a minor detour with VW. Couldn’t convince myself to buy the Pilot and even though the Atlas is larger the Ascent seemed more refined and upscale.

10,000 trouble free miles and counting on our red Limited.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome!

We’ve had VWs almost exclusively since 2006. Our first Subaru was/is a new 2017 Forester XT Touring that we got into after we sold back my TDI Golf and my wife’s TDI Sportwagen, both of which did not have the DEF system. We recently purchased a newer, top trim, low mile, and certified TDI Sportwagen with the emissions fix because it makes sense for my wife’s commute. Within the next few months we’re going to be swapping out the FXT for an Ascent because we added another member to our family late last year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the new addition! We also had a TDI Golf and a TDI sport wagon. I wish I could have the fuel mileage of those on my 100 mile commute. If I would have known I was gonna have this commute not sure I would have gotten rid of the golf. How do you feel like the Subaru compares to the vw?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The build quality and general fit and finish of the Subaru took some getting used to - all of our pre-dieselgate VWs punched above their weight in that regard, in my opinion. However, the Ascent-competing Atlas feels pretty cheap inside comparatively, and with a higher price tag at that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was one of the things we didn’t like about the atlas. It didn’t look and feel like the volkswagens we have owned in the past.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The build quality and general fit and finish of the Subaru took some getting used to - all of our pre-dieselgate VWs punched above their weight in that regard, in my opinion. However, the Ascent-competing Atlas feels pretty cheap inside comparatively, and with a higher price tag at that.
Thats the way I felt about the Atlas when we saw it at a car show last year,slightly bigger yes but the Subaru won out.We had a Outback that we liked but wanted bigger ,Subaru heard ours cries for a true SUV and we got it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts