Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Blue Ascent Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The family and I are driving to Michigan from Washington State this summer (about 2300 miles one way). I’m still undecided if we should tow our Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH with us. I basically keep the Ascent between 2000 and 3000RPM and between 55 and 65 mph (Slower on the hills of course). I’m worried that the distance might be too much, but once we get past the Rockies it’s pretty flat.

I know the Ascent isn’t meant to be strictly a tow vehicle, but I waned to see if anyone on here had any thoughts. Do you think this is too far to drive with a 4000lb trailer? Would it be overkill to get the transmission fluid flushed (we have 17,000 miles on the car) to keep fresh fluid in it for the trip?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Should be fine towing within the rated capacity. Trans flush would be overkill. Gas mileage will not be pretty, if you are not staying long the economic trade off between gas mileage and lodging should be looked at.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
690 Posts
Hi All,

The family and I are driving to Michigan from Washington State this summer (about 2300 miles one way). I’m still undecided if we should tow our Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH with us. I basically keep the Ascent between 2000 and 3000RPM and between 55 and 65 mph (Slower on the hills of course). I’m worried that the distance might be too much, but once we get past the Rockies it’s pretty flat.

I know the Ascent isn’t meant to be strictly a tow vehicle, but I waned to see if anyone on here had any thoughts. Do you think this is too far to drive with a 4000lb trailer? Would it be overkill to get the transmission fluid flushed (we have 17,000 miles on the car) to keep fresh fluid in it for the trip?

Thanks in advance for all your input! View attachment 11808
You might want to double check the length of your safety chains. They look too long to keep the coupler off the ground in case of a disconnect.

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
2020 Blue Ascent Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should be fine towing within the rated capacity. Trans flush would be overkill. Gas mileage will not be pretty, if you are not staying long the economic trade off between gas mileage and lodging should be looked at.
Those are great points. We will be staying 3-4 weeks. My in-laws place is a bit cramped for all of us to fit, and they have a 2 room cabin up on Lake Superior so the plan is to take the trailer so all the cousins can join and have space. I will look into hotels though and see what that cost looks like.

I did look at plane tickets and a rental car...the car itself for 3-4 weeks was around $3000! I figure we just buy a car there and sell it when we leave haha!

·
Registered
2020 Blue Ascent Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to double check the length of your safety chains. They look too long to keep the coupler off the ground in case of a disconnect.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for that observation! It does have to go back to the dealer for some warranty work. I wonder if they can shorten those? Any recommendations on what to do to shorten them?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
690 Posts
Thanks for that observation! It does have to go back to the dealer for some warranty work. I wonder if they can shorten those? Any recommendations on what to do to shorten them?
Subaru dealer or trailer dealer? The trailer dealer should be able to correct the length. Nothing that a hacksaw can't handle.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring, Crystal White Pearl
15 Posts
I’ve driven I-90 through the Cascades and Rockies several times. There aren’t really steep grades that you find on other freeways or highways. With trailer brakes you should be fine in both directions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last week was the kids spring break. We did about 1500 miles from Northern California down the coast then over to Joshua Tree then back up towing a Geo Pro G19BH. That included a trip up over the Grapevine coming out of LA. This thing drove as well as it always does. But I did figure out it helps to turn off the lane assist in the mountains and high wind as it tends to overcorrect sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys
(First, sorry for my soso Québécois english !)
Stwist the chain, good tip.
I just got a camper trailer 3600lbs and i Will instal anti-swing and Stabilisator bars. That do egal pressure on the car, the front of the véhicule gonna drop the same of the rear. It feel like driving a train, it's verry stable. And of corse, brake control. Dont forget you pull almost the double weight of the car, so in emergency, triky part or suprise of the road, it can push you by the back in verry bad situation !
By the way, I treid it whitout those equipments and il was surprise how good the body of the Ascent work!
Enjoy your trip !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts