Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Texas and it recently got cooler (about 60 degrees). Yes, that is cold for us :)

Yesterday, when I started up the Ascent in the morning, it shook one time hard before starting and didn't think too much of it.

This morning when I pressed the Start Button, it actually cranked for about 7 seconds before starting up.

It can’t be bad gas because I have half a tank of gas from a full tank. I also only use Shell or Chevron gas. The car runs fine throughout the day. Seems to be happening only in the mornings so far and in this cooler weather. I will continue to monitor but if it keeps happening, I will need to bring it in to see if any error codes can be retrieved. Console did not display any errors.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a weak battery - you may have the same. Mine would die with leaving doors open or listening to the radio for 10 minutes with the car off. Had mine replaced. The comment on mine was it was "low and possibly leaking".

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
Definitely not normal. A weak battery will cause this, as @Janner suggested. Other things can be causing it as well. I'd have it checked out.

I've started my Ascent in 40° temperatures, and it starts just as quickly.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The car's still new.

As it gets colder, especially quickly, it may need to "learn" the denser, cooler air on startup needs more fuel. I notice this with my 08 Impreza. If I had to unplug the battery to do some work and after that it had to re-learn some startup quirks and cold temp quirks. Actually going thorough it again since I replaced the battery a month or so ago.

I haven't notice it on the Ascent and I'm not much further north than you in Oklahoma but my wife drives the car most of the time but keep an eye on it and if it's persistent get it looked at because it should not be persistent.

Reactions: ctpreviti

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
The car's still new.

As it gets colder, especially quickly, it may need to "learn" the denser, cooler air on startup needs more fuel. I notice this with my 08 Impreza. If I had to unplug the battery to do some work and after that it had to re-learn some startup quirks and cold temp quirks. Actually going thorough it again since I replaced the battery a month or so ago.

I haven't notice it on the Ascent and I'm not much further north than you in Oklahoma but my wife drives the car most of the time but keep an eye on it and if it's persistent get it looked at because it should not be persistent.
Shouldn't. My cold starts were in the Adirondack High Peaks at 42° - about as high up as one can drive in the North East, and pretty cold. :tango_face_wink:

We left in the 80° from Long Island, and did late night starts up on Mount Marcy in the 40's.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Shouldn't. My cold starts were in the Adirondack High Peaks at 42° - about as high up as one can drive in the North East, and pretty cold. :tango_face_wink:

We left in the 80° from Long Island, and did late night starts up on Mount Marcy in the 40's.
*temperature fight* :)

I'm not sure about TX but there were a couple days in the last few weeks for us where we went from mid-high 90s to freeze warnings and then back to the 80s and now freeze warnings again.

It *should* be able to compensate pretty easily but if it's a one off or two I wouldn't worry about it. If it persists I would get it checked out.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
79 Posts
*temperature fight* :)

I'm not sure about TX but there were a couple days in the last few weeks for us where we went from mid-high 90s to freeze warnings and then back to the 80s and now freeze warnings again.

It *should* be able to compensate pretty easily but if it's a one off or two I wouldn't worry about it. If it persists I would get it checked out.
In Ottawa it started getting sub zero( Celsius) and no problem at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Right, I'm not arguing for absolute temperature but the temperature swings not a more gradual step down in a few degrees a day.
We, in Ottawa, usually say how silly it is to state temperatures. We usually joke about American news showing snow storms and we even make fun of fellow Torontonians because they tend to behave like American brothers when the temperature goes below 0. The joke something like this "You shall see military in Toronto when there is 10 cm snow on the ground".

I lived in Toronto in the past, so it may be the Torontonian in me did that. But also it may be due to the fact, I didn't drive Ascent for last 4 days and we had low ( during nights) temperatures and today morning I decided use Ascent and it just started. That's nothing to be noticed because we get - 20 to - 30 Celsius for weeks(I am again using temperature one more time) and most cars starts ok, but I noticed as the car is just a week old.

I know in some places in US gets equally or colder than Canada. But the general attitude as a country is to play it down and act as if it is normal. So please don't take is as offensive!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I know in some places in US gets equally or colder than Canada. But the general attitude as a country is to play it down and act as if it is normal. So please don't take is as offensive!
No offense here. If we see a snowflake our state shuts down. The threat of snowflakes means that everyone runs to the store to stock up on essential supplies. Essential supplies means candy, snacks, chips, pop, etc. There's always plenty of bread, water, and vegetables left over.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No offense here. If we see a snowflake our state shuts down. The threat of snowflakes means that everyone runs to the store to stock up on essential supplies. Essential supplies means candy, snacks, chips, pop, etc. There's always plenty of bread, water, and vegetables left over.
I sometimes wish it would shut down. It seems that when it snows (or rains) here, the ******* Brigade (Hey, y'all, watch this!) is out in full force.

Also, you forget the most essential supply for Oklahoma ... beer!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I sometimes wish it would shut down. It seems that when it snows (or rains) here, the ******* Brigade (Hey, y'all, watch this!) is out in full force.

Also, you forget the most essential supply for Oklahoma ... beer!
That is definitely true. But usually the first couple hours weeds them out and they're piled up in the ditches!
Yes beer, but since I'm one of those bastardy 'few' I don't get my beer at the grocery store :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had this happen twice to me now and both times it was in my attached garage. Garage temp was 65 today when it happened, i’m not sure about the first time. I’m keeping my eye on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also noticed this which happened twice now. So this seems a common problem for the new Ascent. Can the service dept quickly check this out if the battery is weak? Also prob a silly question, I can go to any dealership's service dept, not just the one I bought the car (which is a bit far), right? thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[Original Poster]

OK, after work yesterday, I performed a battery test with multimeter and it showed 12.63 volts.

This morning before work (about 12 hours later), I tested the battery again at rest (before starting engine) and it only showed 12.16 volts.

Is this drop (about .5 volts) consider normal for a 12 hour period?

I wish I can let the car sit longer but I need it currently to get around. I know a good test would be my next trip where I leave the car for a couple days parked at the Airport.

·
Registered
275 Posts
[Original Poster]

OK, after work yesterday, I performed a battery test with multimeter and it showed 12.63 volts.

This morning before work (about 12 hours later), I tested the battery again at rest (before starting engine) and it only showed 12.16 volts.

Is this drop (about .5 volts) consider normal for a 12 hour period?

I wish I can let the car sit longer but I need it currently to get around. I know a good test would be my next trip where I leave the car for a couple days parked at the Airport.

That's not normal. You may have a bad battery or a parasitic drain. It appears that you are still able to charge it while the car is running so it's not the alternator. This information combined with your original post tells me that you should most probably get that battery checked out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had the same thing happen to mine a couple weeks ago. Was traveling and so it was parked outside at a hotel overnight. Came out in the morning and it cranked for maybe 5 seconds or so before finally starting. Strange thing is that it wasn't that cold and I've had it parked outside at a hotel overnight since then and it got much colder that night but came out the next morning and it started right up. That one morning is the only time it has exhibited this behavior in the ~5600 miles I've had it. Taking it in tomorrow for the 6k service and I'll mention it to them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I also noticed this which happened twice now. So this seems a common problem for the new Ascent. Can the service dept quickly check this out if the battery is weak? Also prob a silly question, I can go to any dealership's service dept, not just the one I bought the car (which is a bit far), right? thanks
Yes, your warranty works for any subaru dealer.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
79 Posts
@Dunopsum I don't know it is karma or not, today morning I had pretty long cranking before getting the engine started. And Eyesight and LKA were off until I drove a few kms and restarting the engine. Definitely something is up as it wasn't even that cold last night.

One thing I did differently was, when it was parked other nights previously I had the key(fob) kept in metallic file folder in the foyer. But yesterday I kept it open the foyer. The distance from where I kept the fob to where Ascent is parked would be around 15' assuming no obstacles in between and Ascent is parked on ground level while the foyer is on the second floor. Not sure the close distance is making Ascent/ fob trying to connect each other( if that's the case, it is a security issue too) without the metal barrier that other night blocked in completely. I will try this out next few days and will let you know.

If otherwise it might be a faulty battery :-(

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
Not sure the close distance is making Ascent/ fob trying to connect each other( if that's the case, it is a security issue too) without the metal barrier that other night blocked in completely.
Not sure about the rest... but, while the car talks to the FOB at closer range, only the proximity antennas allow the FOB to do any non-user initiated interaction (such as allowing the doors to be unlocked by touching the handle or starting the car).

Besides the general long range antenna used for lock/unlock/start/shut-off/liftgate, there are individual antennas in the rear, in each front door, and inside the vehicle.

The easiest way you can test/demonstrate what it can and can't do, is by standing on one side of the car, and have someone try to open the front door on the other side - the car will ignore them, while letting you unlock and open the front door you are next to.

If you walk to that side and get close enough to their door, it will allow the doors to be unlocked by touching that front handle.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.