Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem locking the door with the key fob from outside the car. Am I too close, too far, not pulling the handle? Any insight?

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you mean pressing the lock button on the key fob, you can't be "too close", but if the car is running, the key fob will not lock the doors. If you're talking about touching the handle, there are 3-4 raised ridges that you touch and hold with the keyfob nearby (in your pocket is close enough). it'll beep and lock the doors after a second or two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just standing outside of the car, it's off. I just press the lock button on the key fob. Sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Have you tried with the 2nd key fob? Does it have the same results? If the 2nd key fob works fine, the batteries may have been drained...hopefully.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just tried again, and it worked fine with both keys. I'm thinking maybe I had left the car on (but not running) when I had the issue? I have the push start so sometimes it's hard to tell if the car is on or off.

On a side note, I played around with the auto lock/unlock on the door handle. That's a great feature!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
18 Posts
Reviving this post.

Did you ever find a fix for the key acting erratically?

I am having a similar issue. Sometimes it locks and sometime it doesn't. Red light flashes when I'm pressing the lock button and I've even changed the battery (Thanks @Robert.Mauro for the video) and it's still doing it. It literally won't lock until I walk back to the car and use the touch sensor on the key handle.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I have that happen every now and then in high RF/Wifi interference areas. Most commonly, it happens in a busy parking lot. I need to be really close to the car for it to work, and, I've had about 3 occasions where it hasn't worked at all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wish the Ascent had a "Locked/Unlocked" stem - at least on the driver's door. Hard to tell sometimes if the car is locked or unlocked. Visual confirmation is a good thing.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yeah, and grabbing the handle to check just unlocks it, if it wasn't already. 😞

I just hit the lock strip (or lock button on the FOB) a second time if I am not sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you mean pressing the lock button on the key fob, you can't be "too close", but if the car is running, the key fob will not lock the doors. If you're talking about touching the handle, there are 3-4 raised ridges that you touch and hold with the keyfob nearby (in your pocket is close enough). it'll beep and lock the doors after a second or two.
Just to be specific: There are two indented strips on the handle (not 3 - 4 raised ridges) on the handle. There is nothing that sticks out from the handle.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
379 Posts
Yeah, and grabbing the handle to check just unlocks it, if it wasn't already. 😞

I just hit the lock strip (or lock button on the FOB) a second time if I am not sure.
Or you can grab one of the handles on the the rear doors to double check, since those don't have the unlock by touch feature.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Or you can grab one of the handles on the the rear doors to double check, since those don't have the unlock by touch feature.
That works for me, because I have "all doors unlock" turned on, but some people have "driver's door only" set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.